Existential Quandary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boist

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the one hand, my Cherry porter tastes nothing like cherry.
On the other hand, it's quite a nice porter.
On the third hand, it may just be me, and someone else would taste the cherry
On the fourth hand, it's a beer I made that I actually think is drinkable, which is no small feat.

So am I disappointed?

All the pain we experience is a result of our expectations but its the river of homebrewing's nature to twist and turn. It burns. And i know it. Ive had the same conflict. But i try to sit and flow with the rivers nature process. Sometimes i see myself float down stream. I see the beauty of it all and it taste like a dream.

boist said:
On the fourth hand, it's a beer I made that I actually think is drinkable, which is no small feat.

So am I disappointed?

Your beer is good, be happy. But I am concerned about your four hands! Was it an atomic accident?

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Zamial, well spoken, sir.
eanmcnulty, don't all homebrewers? How else do you manage to get everything done on a brewday? :eek:

Ahha, but that brings us to the fifth hand: I don't really like Porter. Which is why I made 10L for a communal brew, and the leftover I tried to make into Cherry Porter.
And on the sixth hand, you never know, maybe the flavor will develop overtime...

Besides. I'm at work now, so I can't drink beer. If that's not a good reason to whine I don't know what is. ;)

Well, if you're relly set on the cherry flavor, go buy some cherry cough syrup, and pour yourself a glass of porter. Add one oz of cherry cough syrup to a shot glass, and drop into said porter. Drink quickly! It will foam.

I believe I've just invented a new drink I will call the 'Candyland Car Bomb".

boist said:
Ahha, but that brings us to the fifth hand: I don't really like Porter. Which is why I made 10L for a communal brew, and the leftover I tried to make into Cherry Porter.
And on the sixth hand, you never know, maybe the flavor will develop overtime...

Besides. I'm at work now, so I can't drink beer. If that's not a good reason to whine I don't know what is. ;)

Ah, six hands. That is what I meant. See I was thinking, "Only four hands? Wonder what sort of atomic accident took his other two hands. How does he think he can brew with only four hands? He may as well give it up. Cherry beer, indeed! With only four hands?" But now I see that he wasn't using those other two hands for the argument. They were kept in reserve.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

But if you brewed it in the forest, and nobody was around to drink it, would it still lack a cherry flavor?

Well, if you're relly set on the cherry flavor, go buy some cherry cough syrup, and pour yourself a glass of porter. Add one oz of cherry cough syrup to a shot glass, and drop into said porter. Drink quickly! It will foam.

I believe I've just invented a new drink I will call the 'Candyland Car Bomb".

Set the drink on fire & you've got a Flaming Homer / Flaming Moe.
:mug:

So am I disappointed?

I can help you decipher if it's just you or not.... send some porter and I'll try to taste the cherry

My latest attempt at a stout didn't really come out like I expected (less dark/roasty than I was aiming for). But it was still good, so I just rolled with it and called a Winter Ale.

So am I disappointed?

1) Well, that's a problem if you're submitting it for a contest.
2) If it's a nice porter, then everything else is trivial.
3) Whenever you give some of your beer to someone else, tell them that you'd like their completely honest opinion, because you are striving to make the best beers possible and lying to you to save hurting your feelings is not going to help in that quest.
4) If they do give your beer harsh reviews, don't take it personally. If you keep making crappy beer, then come on here and tell us what they say and more than a few people on here will help you fix some things in your process.

1) Well, that's a problem if you're submitting it for a contest.
2) If it's a nice porter, then everything else is trivial.
3) Whenever you give some of your beer to someone else, tell them that you'd like their completely honest opinion, because you are striving to make the best beers possible and lying to you to save hurting your feelings is not going to help in that quest.
4) If they do give your beer harsh reviews, don't take it personally. If you keep making crappy beer, then come on here and tell us what they say and more than a few people on here will help you fix some things in your process.

It's a nice porter, but not quite what you wanted. Excuse to try again right?

seconded on giving it to someone else to taste, and if they're not honest in helping you brew better, they're missing out on drinking the better stuff too!

ajbram has the right answer though. gimme gimme gimme and I'll let you know ;-)

seconded on giving it to someone else to taste, and if they're not honest in helping you brew better, they're missing out on drinking the better stuff too!

ajbram has the right answer though. gimme gimme gimme and I'll let you know ;-)

I'll help you all brew better if you just send me samples :tank:

Seriously though, I do have a well trained nose and palette (I somehow recently got roped into doing odor tests for a BASF compost odor-masking agent here at work because of my highly trained senses). I grew up in Niagara around lots of winery people, so I've been doing this kind of thing for years..... I'd be more than happy to taste whatever gets sent my way.

eanmcnulty, I regularly use only four hands for brewing, otherwise, where's the challenge?
Ceetar, not really, but it IS an excuse to try out that Guinness Chocolate Brownie Recipe...

Everyone who kindly offered to help taste: I suspect that shipping from Israel may not do the beer justice. BUT, if any of you ever take a trip to the Holy Land, you are more than invited to stop by for a taste of the Not-So-Cherry Porter, The Dutch (It's not quite Belgian), the Miraculously Clear Hefe, and any other curious I can stump you with. I'll even throw in a few bottles of good stuff, too!

Back