Excited beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytyeerinpie

Reaction score
I was referred here by llazy_llama, I plan to buy a hombrew set-up with my tax return and get started. Looking for what equipment to buy, and where to get it. And a few recipes that would be easy for a beginner. I like IPA's bock's and Pilsners.....any help is gratefully appreciated!!

you can get some starter kits on northernbrewer.com they sell several levels of beginners kits. They also sell ingredient kits with customer reviews to those kits

Hey Bro,
Welcome to HBT! I have a few suggestions for ya. :mug:

1. Sanitize Sanitize Sanitize! If you're equipment is not clean, you will regret it. Trust me here, when I first started brewing I didn't stress the sanitation aspect, and I would have saved myself a lot of head (and beer!) if I had paid attention to this. Get a bottle of star san, or some other various cleaner available from homebrew shops.

2. Grab yourself a couple beer kits, I suggest starting out with "extract kits". This basically means you don't have to mess with the grain, MLT (mash + lauter tun), and the other various equipment required for all grain brewing. It's a bit easier to get started with extract brewing, but once you go all grain you pretty much never go back! ;)

3. If you want to get into this hobby seriously, go ahead and get/make all the equipment required for all grain. It really allows you to give your beer that "personal touch", and in my opinion, create better beer. Extract beer isn't bad, its just a bit limited (in my opinion). All grain is MUCH easier than it seems, and once you have all the equipment you will ask yourself (is this really all it is?).

Anyway, welcome to the site bro! Glad to have ya here. Cheers.

Patrick

Back