ew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro238

Reaction score
Thought I would share a little story for ****s and giggles....

I brewed an all grain belgian trippel a few months ago. I ended up with a little bit too much volume but what I could fit in the keg turned out really well. I had about 3/4-1 gallon of beer left in my plastic bucket after I filled up the keg and it has just been sitting there for the last 4 months or so since I racked the original batch. I was cleaning kegs the other day and thought to myself, "what the hell, it smells OK and doesn't have a pellicle. Might as well rack the leftovers into the keg and see how it turns out." I did this last weekend and just tried it.

Literally the worst thing I have ever tasted.

It had a hot taste like a beer with too much fusel production but with more of an acidic, puckering finish. It also had the slight flavor of vinegar and, worst of all, a cloying, mouth coating, molassesy, oxidized, sherry sweetness. It took me 30 minutes to get the flavor out of my mouth. Guess this is a lesson about oxidation....

I was kinda joking, but here is what I know.

Pellicles can drop out, but usually do reform. If your beer tasted like vinegar I would bet on acetobacter, and acetobacter doesn't typically give a pellicle on beer.

it was actually just a bucket you had been peeing in when you were really drunk and you forgot...

Hmmm. Now that you mention it...

Pretty sure this beer has all sorts of goodies going on in it. I also neglected to mention that I never refilled the airlock so it went dry about a month into the 'aging.'

Latest posts

Back