Every have that perfect brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colrain

Reaction score
I just finished up brewing an APA and for once everything clicked. Always there's something that goes wrong - from forgetting to add the whirlfloc to the hose falling out of the fermenter and getting wort all over the basement floor.

Been brewing for 5 years, on a Kal clone for the last 2. Everything today was perfect. Mash pH, OG, volumes, everything - and no mess today!. Even better it was like a light went on with understanding water chemistry and after a long time struggling I think I finally got it nailed.

Anyway don't mean to toot my own horn but it's nice to have things go right for a change.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who struggles with there always being something that goes wrong lol (and I'm sorry about the typo in the title - stupid iphone)

Nice job on your day today!

Yeah, I have had several great brew days that were as close to perfect as I can get. Today is shaping up to be that kind also. The only real obstacle left for me is to pour my wort into my primary to oxygenate it prior to pitching.

It does feel pretty dang good to check off all of your goals during the session. To quote Linus from the recent 'Peanuts Movie', " It must feel pretty great to be Charlie Brown right about now!"

no better feeling then a perfect brew day. Ive been getting good as of late also. Enjoy the fruits of you labor my friend

I had a near perfect day yesterday brewing an English bitter. Everything went really well until the hydrometer broke (fell apart in my hands!) just before taking my OG. I preserved the OG sample in the refrigerator and will measure the OG later this week when I get another hydrometer (or three).

TomVA

Had one recently that I posted here about. The total brew took about 20 hrs along with a week of yeast propagation and sour starter culturing.

Pulled it off and hit all my numbers,

I know the feeling of wanting to share, since not many people who taste this brew are gonna realize the work that goes into it.

I had one yesterday as a matter of fact. I take lots of notes on every brew day, likely way too many. Over the course of 30 or so brew days, I have compiled a book of notes. Yesterday my notes were limited to gravity readings, PH readings, volume levels, yeast pitch temp, starter volume and the words: Normal brew day, no issues other than higher than anticipated efficiency. I was 1.056 on an anticipated 1.051. For me these were cliff notes....

Had a pretty decent brew day today, hit mash pH, strike temp and pre/post boil volumes on their respective noses.
Was three points high on the pre-boil SG so it wasn't perfect per the game plan, but I can live with that ;)

Credit where due: BeerSmith makes a lot of this almost automatic, if one has their equipment profile nailed.
The rest is just not screwing up :)

Cheers!

I had a perfect brew day today. I did a double decoction on a Kölsch and hit every number on the nose according beersmith. I've never done a decoction and hit every temperature test (I always undershot) so I'm pretty happy.

I'd have to toot my horn and say that most of my brewdays go smoothly. As far as perfect?? Almost never. There is always a point or two difference in gravities, miss mash temp a little, etc. But these I don't sweat. I am not trying to make the same beer exactly the same as last time so small differences don't matter.

Boil overs are my nemesis. I seem to get distracted quite often..... Usually on HBT.

Boil overs are my nemesis. I seem to get distracted quite often..... Usually on HBT.

It seems every time I turn my back this happens. I can have a nice calm rolling boil, go check on something and come back to a puddle on the floor and the smell of burnt sugar.

I don't know about perfect, but it was a nice, uneventful, leisurely brew day! And all of the upgrades I have made worked really well...Zero issues with my plate chiller, inline oxygenation, and pump. And I freakin LOVE my new BIAB & hop bags from Wilserbrew! First time using them and they were fanfreakintastic!

Latest posts

Back