Ever wish they made good NA beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3n00b

Reaction score
I wish I could drink beer like soda. I love the taste but I sometimes, well most of the time, don't want the buzz. I wish they made some good na IPA s and Belgians.

Try a bottle of Commercial Suicide by Jester King.. Not NA beer but at 3% you can drink one or two without incurring too much of a buzz. Session beers seem to be trendy at the moment so I'm sure there are plenty of others around that are good as well.

:mug:

I'd like that too. Not too many stouts and stronger tasting NA beers out there. I'd settle for a VLA (Very Low Alcohol) beer. Sometimes I get home and want a glass of beer, but have errands to run and things to do. It would be nice to have something that has beer flavor and none of the risk.

One time I made a mild that was about 3% and it was ok.

I think it would behoove some commercial brewer to make an NA beer out of something other than a light lager. When you take the alcohol out, half the flavor goes with it!

Are you guys extreme light weights or something? I can't feel a single effect of alcohol until I drink about a 6 pack around the 5% range in less than 2 hours. I could drink a 10% imperial stout or two in an hour and then go out and run errands, go out to lunch and carry on with my day with no problem or no feeling of alcohol at all.

Are you guys extreme light weights or something? I can't feel a single effect of alcohol until I drink about a 6 pack around the 5% range in less than 2 hours. I could drink a 10% imperial stout or two in an hour and then go out and run errands, go out to lunch and carry on with my day with no problem or no feeling of alcohol at all.

Yes I am.

I suppose I could drink two 10% beers in an hour and then go driving. It would be illegal, but technically possible.

I suppose I could drink two 10% beers in an hour and then go driving. It would be illegal, but technically possible.

Wouldn't be illegal for me, it would take me at least 8 to go over the legal BAC limit. Idk if my height and weight has to do with it or if its just different for everyone or what.

Wouldn't be illegal for me, it would take me at least 8 to go over the legal BAC limit. Idk if my height and weight has to do with it or if its just different for everyone or what.

It would take you eight 10% beers in one hour to be over the BAC?!?! Depends on the calculator I use, but two of those in one hour would put me just under the limit. How I deal with the effects of the alcohol is a different matter, my BAC would be borderline. I hesitate to ask your weight...

It would take you eight 10% beers in one hour to be over the BAC?!?! Depends on the calculator I use, but two of those in one hour would put me just under the limit. How I deal with the effects of the alcohol is a different matter, my BAC would be borderline. I hesitate to ask your weight...

OK in an hour probably 3 and a half or 4 10% beers woulkd do it, 6-8 would be normal cheap lager.

And I'm about 280 right now. Also I'm from Canada originally, us Canadians are suppose to hold our booze good haha

OK in an hour probably 3 and a half or 4 10% beers woulkd do it, 6-8 would be normal cheap lager.

And I'm about 280 right now. Also I'm from Canada originally, us Canadians are suppose to hold our booze good haha

Well, again, you may deal with it well, but your BAC would still indicate over the limit. Yeah, for that weight the numbers indicated above are a little more in line. Based on your initial claims, you needed to be in the 800-900 pound range. Now, I don't like to judge, but that might, just might mind you, be a bit unhealthy!! :D

I'm 6'7" 250 and can feel a single beer. I can drink 12er no problem. I don't want to feel a thing from this beer but I want all the hop/malt flavor.

I've been making lower strength beers lately just so I can have a couple b/c I enjoy the taste and don't want to get drunk. A NA pale ale would be great.

Was this determined by a super accurate home breathalyzer or a calculator?

I'd trust those things as much as the crackhead on the corner. I've blown a 0.07 after 12 beers with one of those. You can sure bet if I got pulled over while driving, Johnny Law's breathalyzer would be reading way over the legal limit.

Easiest way to avoid that problem? Don't drink and drive.

Here is a recent thread where a good homebrew gets heated up to remove the alcohol. It turned out the resulting NA beer taste was still very appetizing without the buzz.

Of course it would be better to do this process in a vacuum film evaporator, rather than on a propane burner, to get around the higher temps.

I think there are alot more session beer recipes that still have great flavor. But to some degree, alcohol has its own flavors and impacts your perceptions of flavor. Ever tried vodka in tomato sauce, it makes it much more delicious.

I think with strong DUI laws, serving session Crafts will be a major trend.

I say this as I drink a 6.7% blonde, of course. I am not driving.

IXIboneheadIXI said:

I've brewed a couple of monsters recently, in fact I'd say if you were to drink three pints of my latest honey iipa you'd not only be very ill advised to try and drive anywhere but more than likely be looking for a place to lie down for a while, regardless of how big you are or how bad you think you are.

This thread has taken an awful turn. If you want to discuss the science of blood alcohol content vs the perception of drunkenness in a civil manner (without the "you can't hold your liquor" rhetoric), please start another thread. Do not continue to hijack this thread.

BACK ON TOPIC:

A 2-3% ABV, full flavored stout would be a fantastic challenge. NA beer is very difficult to make on a homebrew scale, but low alcohol beer shouldn't be terribly difficult to make. Low alcohol beer with lots of flavor and good mouthfeel, on the other hand, presents a challenge. Adding some maltodextrin may help balance strongly flavored ingredients.

Yuri_Rage said:
This thread has taken an awful turn. If you want to discuss the science of blood alcohol content vs the perception of drunkenness in a civil manner (without the "you can't hold your liquor" rhetoric), please start another thread. Do not continue to hijack this thread.

BACK ON TOPIC:

A 2-3% ABV, full flavored stout would be a fantastic challenge. NA beer is very difficult to make on a homebrew scale, but low alcohol beer shouldn't be terribly difficult to make. Low alcohol beer with lots of flavor and good mouthfeel, on the other hand, presents a challenge. Adding some maltodextrin may help balance strongly flavored ingredients.

A stout might be one of the easier styles to make low-alcohol. Guinness is fairly low in alcohol, yet perceived by many non-craft drinkers as being thick and heavy. Maybe adding lactose for mouthfeel would keep a low-alcohol stout from feeling too thin?

BACK ON TOPIC:

How was this uncivil and how is a discussion of BAC not relevant to a low alcohol beer discussion?!?!? Seriously?!?!? :confused:

Shooter said:
Is the grapefruit Radler different then their regular Radler? I enjoy the regular Radler quite a bit.

I think there are a few different ones, but the grapefruit shows up most often in my area. The regular has lemon soda instead, and I think there is a raspberry one also.

I think there are a few different ones, but the grapefruit shows up most often in my area. The regular has lemon soda instead, and I think there is a raspberry one also.

Yeah, I've had the lemon soda one a number of times. It's a great hot weather drink. Hmm, this puts me in the mood to pick up a bottle for later today!!!

It's my thread and it's in the off topic section. No one needs to worry about staying on topic. Talk about whatever you wish people!!! From dogs to bac. I dgaf!

My first AG was Yooper's oatmeal stout and it came out to 3.5%. Still very good. The only NA beer I've ever had just tasted like watery butt to me though.

It is your thread and general chit-chat, but come on, look at the title you gave it: Ever wish they made good NA beers?

I'm with the mod on unwanted derailing of posts. Happens all too often.

Back on topic.
Some beers can sustain the lack (or reduction of the amount) of alcohol better.

I would say the heavier, maltier beers are more suitable to disguise the lack of alcohol, rather than the thin ones, since there is more to compensate with. Imagine a Guinness without alcohol. There wouldn't be much left but a watery concoction. How would you change the recipe to mask that 25% of the charm has been removed?

The biggest challenge is how to keep most of the highly volatile aromatics and flavor compounds and particularly those that rely on alcohol for solvency while "boiling off" that alcohol. Even a vacuum film evaporator would remove those with the "solvent."

Maybe throwing some hops in while boiling to compensate for loss of flavor and nose. When you do that, the resulting beer would be much better if re-designed with NA in mind, not as an afterthought.

Aside there is an issue from twice-boiled beer tasting like twice-boiled beer. So lower temps will help there (vacuum/low pressure).

I just thought of something else: a molecular sieve that traps alcohol.

It's my thread and it's in the off topic section. No one needs to worry about staying on topic. Talk about whatever you wish people!!! From dogs to bac. I dgaf!

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar! :mug:

Myself, I fail to see how a discussion of the effects of alcohol in a non/low alcohol beer discussion is wildly off topic. I mean, it's not like people started talking about the beauty of orangutan's. ;)

You make a good point - the thread is intentionally placed in a non-technical forum. Here is what I will not abide, and what prompted my comment: pissing contests about holding one's liquor and/or suggesting that ANYONE should drive after consuming large quantities of alcohol.

IGAF.
Igaf as well.
Driving buzzed or drunk is just stupid. I lost 3 friends back in high school because of 1 drunk moron. He only sat in jail for 8 years. I think it's ridiculous that a pot grower would get a worse punishment.

You make a good point - the thread is intentionally placed in a non-technical forum. Here is what I will not abide, and what prompted my comment: pissing contests about holding one's liquor and/or suggesting that ANYONE should drive after consuming large quantities of alcohol.

IGAF.

That's a fair call there! :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:

IGAF.

I did not see any pissing contest about holding liquor, rather I saw a discussion about how alcohol effects people more or less than other people. And how NA beer might be better for someone who gets buzzed off of a beer or two, but for someone who doesn't really get buzzed until after a 6 pack it might not really be something to worry about.

I did not see any pissing contest about holding liquor, rather I saw a discussion about how alcohol effects people more or less than other people. And how NA beer might be better for someone who gets buzzed off of a beer or two, but for someone who doesn't really get buzzed until after a 6 pack it might not really be something to worry about.
This is exactly the type of comment that is unwelcome. While you may THINK that drinking a 6 pack and climbing into a car is fine, it IS NOT. It doesn't much matter who you are. I'll buy that your perception of drunkenness may require more beer than others in order to feel its effects, but the FACT is that your blood alcohol content is quite likely high enough to be considered legally impaired, and your performance WILL be affected, despite your perception that it is not.

DO NOT continue to suggest that anyone should drink to excess and operate a vehicle.

Yuri_Rage said:
This is exactly the type of comment that is unwelcome. While you may THINK that drinking a 6 pack and climbing into a car is fine, it IS NOT. It doesn't much matter who you are. I'll buy that your perception of drunkenness may require more beer than others in order to feel its effects, but the FACT is that your blood alcohol content is quite likely high enough to be considered legally impaired, and your performance WILL be affected, despite your perception that it is not.

DO NOT continue to suggest that anyone should drink to excess and operate a vehicle.

I've never suggested that maybe you should go back and read what I said again

Since you seem intent on having the last word, and we've already garbaged up the thread with this nonsense, here you go:

Called the rest of the posters "light weights" is the sort of pissing match-type comment to which I was referring. Suggesting that you can drink what would be considered an excessive amount of alcohol by pretty much any standard and then "go out and run errands" condones drinking and driving. I suppose one could run errands on the Internet, but within the boundaries of common sense, "going out and running errands" includes a motor vehicle.

Again, suggesting irresponsible drinking with respect to driving.

Though this post does not specifically mention drinking and driving, it's a continuation on the theme of irresponsible drinking. Given the context of your previous posts, "something to worry about" could certainly imply exceeding legal limits. No matter how you say you meant it, that's how it reads to me, which is why I posted the response above.

If it was your intent to just play devil's advocate, you did so poorly. If it was your intent to give some hypothetical scenarios, you did not qualify your statements, but rather emphatically stated that you can drink and drive. Given the direct quotes above, the entire theme of your participation in this thread is irresponsible drinking, which has NOTHING to do with the OP. If that was not your intent, fine, but it's hard to read the above in any other light.

to the first thing. as atleast where i come from, people can have 1-2 beers without worrying and go drive

second thing. im not suggesting people go and drink and drive, actually the opposite

Ill just leave this shovel here

Back