Ever think you had a yeast mix-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShartAttack

Reaction score
I've made the Northern Brewer Hefeweisen kit a couple times now with the Wyeast Weihenstephan yeast. First batch came out pretty good, temp in my apartment is in the low 70s so it had more banana flavors. Decided I would try to brew it again!

Anyway, second batch I did pretty much everything the same AFAIK, but it turned out to be a very different sort of beer. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I wasn't really getting the hefe flavors, banana or cloves. I've drank my way through about half the batch when last night I realized the flavor had a sort of Belgian fruitiness to it. And the yeast don't really behave like the other batch of Weihenstephan either, being pretty flocculent and not all that tasty.

I'm new enough to brewing that I'm willing to admit I could have made a mistake. But is there a chance that my beer was goofy because it wasn't the yeast I thought it was?

Did you control fermentation temps? From my limited experience with them, they are pretty sensitive to what esters they give off at different temps.

It's possible it was temperature, but I had already got the "warm" flavors last time and the temperature regimen shouldn't have been too different. I didn't have temp under tight control though, so I guess it could be possible.

Back