Ever seen WLP001 clump like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverCityBrewer

Reaction score
I went to harvest some yeast from my conical and this is what it looked like

Now I have used this yeast quite a bit and never seen it clump like this before... I still intend on using it for the next batch (3rd generation of this pitch). Just curious if anyone else has seen it act like this before.

I saw that only once in WLP001- coming right out of the vial. I was a little concerned, as that's not been my experience with that yeast, but it was fine. The next time I bought WLP001 (about 10 days ago), no clumping at all.

I know some English strains look like cottage cheese, but I had never seen it with WLP001 except for that one time.

What temp do you have it at?

I've seen 001 do that after a couple generations of 60F-62F fermentations... I think I was just selecting higher floc mutants....

It's a second generation that has been at 68 for both ferments... I didn't think about mutation, I may not use it for a 3rd generation after all.

Back