Ever get a mouthful of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
Whew, I did and it was nasty. I wanted to try siphoning my wort from the pot into my primary. I had had a few and didn't get my lips off the hose in time. Worst part was I had a bunch of friends over who were interested in the process and they got to see it all.

On the positive side, I'll finally get to see for myself if there is anything to this hot side aeration stuff I've heard I'm causing by just pouring it in.

My assistant got a mouthfull of hops yesterday when transferring a batch to the bottling bucket. He said it was worse then the mouthfull of star san he got a few months ago.

boo boo said:
The cure for that is an autosiphon!

Try this, instead of putting the tube directly to your mouth, use an airlock! It's my invention, save, clean, cheap and easy to clean afterward.
Small pointing side of the airlock goes into the tube (no need to forced in, just a bit of pressure is enough), you suck(!) from the wider side of the airlock. It will make lots of bubbling sound before the liquid gets into your mouth.

Connect your hose to your racking tube, then put your hose under the faucet to fill it with water. Keep the end up to prevent the water from running out and put your cane in the wort. Then lower the hose into the carboy. The water will pour out, causing enough suction to start the siphoning process.

The real question is: why are you siphoning into your primary? You should just pour from your kettle into your primary through a screen to remove big trub. This will aerate your wort as it cleans it out.

And never, ever pop a 19% AA hop flower in your mouth & bite it. Did that once at a Portland brew fest, couldn't taste anything else all day.

Back