Ever felt like just not brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a couple of kids and stay home with them on yours days off. You will be begging for a brew day. I love my girls and I love that I get to stay home with them but they cut into my brewing. They are 3 and 1 so they are not old enough to help out yet.

I have kids in their late 20's and they like helping to drink the beer more than making the beer! ;)

I have kids in their late 20's and they like helping to drink the beer more than making the beer! ;)

Exactly I have 3 sons all in their twenties. They come over all the time. That is why I only make 10 gallon batches now and no longer make 5 gallons ones. It goes quick!

John

I brew so often these days it almost feels like a job, for better or worse I suppose, and still I almost always look forward to it.

I brew so often these days it almost feels like a job, for better or worse I suppose, and still I almost always look forward to it.

You brew in sunny CA don't you!? It was 35 and windy when I wrapped up the brew day today! Brew days get further and further apart this time of year!

Sure it happens, for me it snowballed into my 14yr hiatus! I continued making made wine instead (talk about needing patience!) and along with raising a daughter (now 22) and a myriad of other hobbies, I just fell out of it. Now, back on again (love having a site like this!) and look forward to the brew days, as well as to brew days w/my brothers and/or friends occasionally. I like the science of this more than ever now, and all the tinkering.

You brew in sunny CA don't you!? It was 35 and windy when I wrapped up the brew day today! Brew days get further and further apart this time of year!

It was frigid when I was brewing Saturday morning... 52F!!! Got down to 39F on my way to work this morning. Brrr!

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't read, think, or work on something brewing related. I had to take a long break due to staying alive. Brewing did just that for me. Now that I can finally brew, hell no. No way I will ever not feel like brewing if I have the chance. I'm building the Belgian, Imp Stout, and Saison pipeline. Marshal your exbeeriments were part of that reading. I have a bunch of old sack grain. Maybe an answer to "how old is too old" is in store.

I feel ya on this one. I'm really thinking about doing smaller batches (3 gallons) on my stove top during the winter when it's freezing outside & the weather is nasty. I'm not sure if my 3000 watt flat top can handle 4-4.5 gallons in my smaller aluminum pot. I'll just have to give it a shot.

Anyhow, now that your brew day is done doesn't it feel good to know in a few weeks you will have some good beer?

Remember it is a hobby not a job. If it sits another week or two, no biggie. I did that the month ago or so, wanted to brew but by the time ran my errands I was not feeling it. I did the next weekend and it was a much more enjoyable experience. :tank:

Ha! Now I want to brew but we're supposed to have a high of 17 and there is snow on the ground! Brewing outside is great but...not this time of year!

I usually try a few small stove-top batches to get me through the winter or if we're lucky enough to have some nice warm winter days, which is often the case in Colorado, I'll sneak a full 5 gallon batch here and there!

I'm usually get more apathetic with brewing in the gardening months. I usually have peppers to pick or plants to tend to and when I get done I just don't feel like brewing or there is no time left.

I've currently got the bug though and I'm going to brew a Biere de Miel this weekend. Possible an imperial stout I've been knocking around on BeerSmith.

Back