Evaporation, Trube & cooling loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I am sure there is no clear cut answer. I live in the Denver area at about 6,000 ft in elevation so I think our boil off would be even higher than normal. I use beer smith, and yesterday I brewed a 5 gallon batch of All grain and used 15% as evaporation rate, 3/4 gallon as loss to trube and 4% as cooling loss which are settings I have used previously. Beer Smith said I should have a pre-boil volume of 7.01 gallons with the above variables, but I was left with just a little over 4 gallons of wort in my fermentor which is the first time I was that far off.

Two things were different with this batch: I used a Chillus Convolutus wort chiller from Morebeer instead of an immersion chiller and Blichmann's hopblocker. Both pieces of equipment worked great. Does anyone have any insight as to why I might have lost 3 gallons of wort with a 60 minute boil? Does the vigor of the boil matter much? Thanks very much.

I lose 20% to boil off during a 60 minute boil (sea level). Looks like you lost 30%, which seems like a ton (assuming of course the pre-boil measurement was accurate...I made this mistake once).

I've only ever used an immersion chiller, so I'm just guessing here, but since you just switched to a counterflow chiller, is it possible for wort to be left behind in the chiller/hoses? losing a whole gallon to dead space in the chiller seems unlikely, but if the hoses are long enough, etc...

It's really hard to call... wort density, diameter of kettle, BTUs of burner... my kettle is like a small hot tub and I lose an amazing 2.5 gallons over a 1 hour boil

Yeah, kettle dimensions are a big factor. I purposefully chose one that is taller than it is wide, in order to minimize boil-off.

Instead of just guessing/estimating, I actually measured my boil-off rate prior to brewing for the first time with my new kettle. Just fill with 7 gallons water, boil for 60 min. at the same rate you'll use for brewing, then measure how much is left. Of course it's not 100% accurate because you're boiling water instead of sugary wort, but it's pretty darn close. Now I never have to wonder how much I'm going to lose during the boil.

Have you used this kettle before, and had consistent boil-off? I'm near sea level, and get about 1.1gal/hr boiloff in a 15" dia kettle, 0.75gal/hr in a 13" kettle. Pretty much dead on every batch. I'm sure you have seen this before, but boil-off should be a set volume for one setup no matter how much wort is in there, and from feedback I've seen here the average is around 20-23% given a standard 5gal batch, FWIW. Of course it also depends on elevation, where you are certainly on the high end.

Edit: yep, what ^ said.

I lose 20% to boil off during a 60 minute boil (sea level). Looks like you lost 30%, which seems like a ton (assuming of course the pre-boil measurement was accurate...I made this mistake once).

I've only ever used an immersion chiller, so I'm just guessing here, but since you just switched to a counterflow chiller, is it possible for wort to be left behind in the chiller/hoses? losing a whole gallon to dead space in the chiller seems unlikely, but if the hoses are long enough, etc...

Thanks. I know my pre-boil measurements are right because I'm using a Blickmann 15 gallon pot with a sight glass, but never gave the wort left behind in the counter flow chiller and hose a thought. There is 12 feet of 5/8ths cooper tubing within the chiller and several feet of hose. I think this is my answer since all other variables were pretty much the same. The Counter flow chiller worked so well that I would have a hard time giving it up. I will however have to account for wort loss because of its use or figure a way to get more into my fermenter that is left in chiller and hoses.

Anyone give me a tip on draining remaining wort from counter flow chiller and hoses?

You could stick a hose into your kettle through the drain and blow the wort out

When I switched from a 32quart bk to a 60quart my boil off went from just over a gallon to two gallons. I ended up with two four gallon batches of higher abv beer. I'd just disregard the software and add an extra gallon.

I can vouch for a vigorous boil dramatically increasing the evaporation rate.

I have an aluminum pot so I 'seasoned' it by boiling water for an hour pretty vigorously. Started with 8 gallons and ended with a shade over 6.

Then on my first AG batch, I turned the gas down once it reached a rolling boil - after an hour I only boiled off 1 gallon.

I would also consider the weight of hops added. For my last AG batch, I used 4 ounces of hops and was going to siphon from the kettle to my carboy, but the hops absorbed so much wort that I ended up dumping it all in.

Back