European regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty25

Reaction score
I bought a new regulator for my metric tank over here. The gas pressure gauge reads in bars, 1 through 6. I tried googling what the bars actually mean but found nothing. What should I set it at for force carbing?

Never mind looks like 1 bar is 14psi. Looks like my google skills were weak. I guess bar is the European standard measure like our PSI.

In the International System of Units, better know as the metric system, the unit of pressure is Pascal, or Pa. 1 Pa = 1 Newton per square meter. 1 bar is defined as 100,000 Pa. Why would we want to do this? Well, 1 bar is roughly atmospheric pressure at sea level (1.01325 bar according to the International Standard Atmosphere)!

This Fun Fact of the Day was brought to you by AllHopAbandon!

Btw, I just set my regulator to 0.8 - 0.85 bar :)

Are you stationed is Kaiserslautern or something? I just got back from Munich and I have a new appreciation for Perlick Flow Control faucets (you know, with the little valve on the side). To say their CO2 pressures aren't very accurate would be an understatement. One of the only times American is better than German. Just my .02

while psi gives you more points on the scale compared to bar, in the end anything that really needs to be precise is measured in Pa. Coming from a paintball world i always knew the rough conversion as 100bar = 1500psi or 1:15 which is only 7% off what your found but is easier to do in your head.
honestly growing up in the metric system and then learning to brew in the imperial has really messes with with my head :p

Latest posts

Back