EU Products to help making mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billpete002

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am trying to startup a micro-meadery in Finland and I just found out about the staggered nutrient way of doing things - this would greatly speed up the wait time (and ultimately my turnover) for the company, but I am having problems finding locations to buy the items.

I've found:

http://www.brouwland.com/setframes/...atproducts.asp?cfid=4&id=143&pid=134&shwlnk=0

for my DAP, but I am not sure if this is good stuff - any recommendations?

I've also found:

http://www.brouwland.com/setframes/...atproducts.asp?cfid=4&id=143&pid=134&shwlnk=0

for my nutrient (which has a small amount of DAP in it so I've been told).

Does anyone know where I could get them cheaper? Or better quality as I've read from a few on this board that FERMAID K is somehow the best - or is this just the best + cheapest in the US?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I don't know about Fermaid K, but you can get stuff cheaper from Finland; Melkko.

Also Viinimaailma in Myyrmanni, Vantaa sells everything you would ever need to make either mead, beer or wine.

Another Finland meadmaker here (Espoo). The Nutrisal product is pure Diammonium phosphate (DAP). The nutrient blend seems to work well enough too.

I don't know about Fermaid K, but you can get stuff cheaper from Finland; Melkko.

Also Viinimaailma in Myyrmanni, Vantaa sells everything you would ever need to make either mead, beer or wine.

I've found Brouwland to be significantly cheaper as long as you order enough stuff to justtify the shipping costs. Also, Melkko doesn't describe the product contents at all on the website, I don't like ordering stuff blindly.

Have you found that Wyeast is a good energizer? It seems to just add more nutrients, but I am unsure if it meets the qualities to ensure a speedy ferment - and the Brouwland website doesn't use the word "energize" at all. Also, Mekko orders from Brouwland I am quite familiar with their store in Helsinki.

But when I asked there for yeast energizer they didn't carry such a product. Perhaps they didn't know what I meant?

Any information would be most appreciated - and thanks for the replies so far!

Both the Wyeast nutrient and the Nutrivit Vinoferm would be "yeast energizers" which are mixtures of vitamins, minerals, autolyzed yeast, with or without DAP. Combined with DAP either of these product should allow the yeast to have all the nutrients they require. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how much nitrogen each of these products provides. One of reasons many of us like the Lallemand products (Fermaid K among others) is that they provide the information on exactly how much nitrogen they contain. Knowing helps to fine tune the recipes.

Medsen

Back