Estimated OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
I forgot to take a gravity reading last night.

I used 4 US Gallons of Whole Foods Organic apple juice plus one 12oz can of Kroger concentrated apple juice.

I'm estimating around 1.080...does this sound close? I'm not sure how thick that concentrate is, but I read 70 Brix somewhere online. Obviously we'll never know the OG for sure, but it would be nice to have some idea at least.

Wen I take plain apple juice and add one can of ajc to make one gallon I find my og is around 1.060

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used 4 US Gallons of Whole Foods Organic apple juice plus one 12oz can of Kroger concentrated apple juice.

I'm estimating around 1.080...does this sound close? I'm not sure how thick that concentrate is, but I read 70 Brix somewhere online. Obviously we'll never know the OG for sure, but it would be nice to have some idea at least.

No, your estimate is way too high.

Plain apple juice will be about 1.035. Adding one can of concentrate to 4 gallons of juice is not going to raise your gravity by 45 points. You'd be lucky if it raised it to 1.045.

What was your concentrate's reconstitution ratio, 1+3?

Wen I take plain apple juice and add one can of ajc to make one gallon I find my og is around 1.060

That sounds about right. Doesn't take much to bump up the gravity on a 1 gallon batch.

At a guess based on my apple juice usually coming in at about 1.045-1.050, I'd say your batch with one can of ajc and 4 gallons of juice is probably about 1.048-1.053 neighbourhood.

The Kroger website suggests that each can of concentrate has 162 gms of sugar. Does that look right? (6 servings /can at 27 gms of sugar per serving?) . if that is correct then 162 gms of sugar = 5.71 oz of sugar. One pound of sugar (16 oz) will raise the gravity of ONE gallon .040 so 5.7 oz (about 1/3 of a pound) will raise the gravity of a gallon by about .013. It will raise your 4 gallons by about .004.
My guess is that regular pressed apples will have a gravity close to 1.040 or 1.045 , so your likely starting gravity is going to be around 1.045 - 1.050 (or a potential ABV of about 5 percent)

Ok, I gotcha! I suck at fermentation math, so must definitely remember to take readings next time! I'm glad to know about what to expect more or less so THANKS!! :)

The next time I do this, I'm going to take a gravity reading of that frozen concentrate (after thawing, obviously) to help make things easier. I've not been able to find out that number anywhere online.

Rule of thumb I use is that 16 oz of fermentable sugar adds .040 to a gallon of liquid. You can use the nutritional labels on bottles of apple juice or concentrate to give you an idea of the sugar content and if you know your volume of must then you can make a reasonable estimate of the total sugar content and potential alcohol. This also works if you make wine from jam (in other words, you can estimate how many pounds of jam you need to make a must that will give you a desired starting gravity) although in my (limited) experience if jams contain high fructose sugars the fermentation tends to stall. Not sure if that is because some (or all) yeasts have a difficult time fermenting high fructose sugars...

The next time I do this, I'm going to take a gravity reading of that frozen concentrate (after thawing, obviously) to help make things easier. I've not been able to find out that number anywhere online.

That's a pointless exercise. Take the reading after you've mixed it with your juice.

Uhhhhh 70% brix is huge! I just brewed an IPA that started at 17.8 and finished at 3.3. That is over 8% abv.

Just generic grocery store apple juice here in canada, usually canada choice, but I flip between not from and from concentrate depending on sales. Now you have me doubting so I'll check my notes, but I'm pretty sure.

Ingredients list is always apples juice and vitamin c or concentrate, water, and vit c

That's a pointless exercise. Take the reading after you've mixed it with your juice.

It will be useful, IMO, to know this information for the purpose of planning future batches. I'll then be able to better determine OG effects from adding three cans of the concentrate v/s just one, etc. :)

I had very little idea about this stuff which I why I asked. I'll be sure to take readings from now on so I don't look like such an idiot LOL

You can measure the juice, then mix in the concentrate and then measure again. That should give you the information you need to extrapolate the number if SG points you gain per can per volume.

The Kroger website suggests that each can of concentrate has 162 gms of sugar. Does that look right? (6 servings /can at 27 gms of sugar per serving?) . if that is correct then 162 gms of sugar = 5.71 oz of sugar. One pound of sugar (16 oz) will raise the gravity of ONE gallon .040 so 5.7 oz (about 1/3 of a pound) will raise the gravity of a gallon by about .013. It will raise your 4 gallons by about .004.
My guess is that regular pressed apples will have a gravity close to 1.040 or 1.045 , so your likely starting gravity is going to be around 1.045 - 1.050 (or a potential ABV of about 5 percent)

The one thing I would add to this discussion is last time I used Whole Foods Organic juice it had a SG of 1.06.

Latest posts

Back