Equipment needed to upgrade from BIAB to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidude

Reaction score
All the "equipment kits" I have seen show two big orange coolers, but all the instructions I have read (so far just a couple pictorials) only seem to use a mash tun and a brew kettle. I have a 40qt brew kettle, so what do I need to acquire to move to all-grain brewing? One cooler or two?

I am thinking just one 40qt cooler, a false bottom, ball valve, and some tubing. Is that correct? It seems like the other equipment (sparge arms, hot liquor tanks, etc.) are extra equipment that I don't need yet. If I am wrong, can somebody link me to an instruction that shows why?

BIAB is all-grain brewing. What you're asking is how to move from BIAB to a traditional mash/lauter tun setup. You pretty much nailed it in your post. You'll need a cooler with either a false bottom or manifold, a ball valve and some tubing. A hot liquor tun would be beneficial, but you can get by without one by draining your runnings into a bucket and using your boil kettle as your HLT. If batch sparging, you don't need a sparge arm.

a good link with lots of info

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

I do 11.5 gallon all grain brews with a 16 gallon brew kettle and a 72 quart cooler

I did not even modify the cooler I just use a window sheer and pull the tab on the spigot to drain

I batch sparge

but I am no expert by any means as I have only brewed since the middle of July

but I have done 11 batches with this setup

all the best with your brewing

S_M

Back