Equinox Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick87

Reaction score
I picked up a pound of 2015 Equinox about a month ago and brewed up an Equinox-heavy IPA to get a feel for them, and wanted to share my experience with everyone.

I read the "Descriptors" of the hop, which are generally along the lines of: " lemon, lime, papayas, apples, cherries, mango, green pepper, citrus, pine".

I'd heard people talk about the "green pepper" flavor/aroma in particular several times, and pretty much just dismissed the idea as folks embellishing a small, subtle characteristic that most hops probably have.

...boy was I wrong! My first taste of the following IPA had my mind going "...what in the world is that flavor? I haven't really had any of this taste in my other IPA's... it tastes like... GREEN PEPPER?!" I was not expecting to be as strong and pronounced as it is. It definitely comes through in the aroma as well.

Not really sure how I feel about using the hop again. In future brews, (since I have another pound of it) I'll probably cut the usage down a bit by mixing it with other hops. It's not a bad flavor... just... weird, I guess. lol

Anyways, here's the recipe for the IPA:

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5.625 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.625 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.010
Efficiency: 20% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 6.96%
IBU (rager): 69.63
SRM (morey): 8.14

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (70.6%)
1.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (17.6%)
12 oz - Cane Sugar - (late addition) (8.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 oz - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (0.7%)
2 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (1.5%)
1 oz - United Kingdom - Carastan (30/37) (0.7%)

HOPS:
1.73 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 59.12
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 185 °F, IBU: 2.48
4.5 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 185 °F, IBU: 8.03
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
4.5 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

I picked up a pound of 2015 Equinox about a month ago and brewed up an Equinox-heavy IPA to get a feel for them, and wanted to share my experience with everyone.

I read the "Descriptors" of the hop, which are generally along the lines of: " lemon, lime, papayas, apples, cherries, mango, green pepper, citrus, pine".

I'd heard people talk about the "green pepper" flavor/aroma in particular several times, and pretty much just dismissed the idea as folks embellishing a small, subtle characteristic that most hops probably have.

...boy was I wrong! My first taste of the following IPA had my mind going "...what in the world is that flavor? I haven't really had any of this taste in my other IPA's... it tastes like... GREEN PEPPER?!" I was not expecting to be as strong and pronounced as it is. It definitely comes through in the aroma as well.

Not really sure how I feel about using the hop again. In future brews, (since I have another pound of it) I'll probably cut the usage down a bit by mixing it with other hops. It's not a bad flavor... just... weird, I guess. lol

Anyways, here's the recipe for the IPA:

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5.625 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.625 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.010
Efficiency: 20% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 6.96%
IBU (rager): 69.63
SRM (morey): 8.14

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (70.6%)
1.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (17.6%)
12 oz - Cane Sugar - (late addition) (8.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 oz - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (0.7%)
2 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (1.5%)
1 oz - United Kingdom - Carastan (30/37) (0.7%)

HOPS:
1.73 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 59.12
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 185 °F, IBU: 2.48
4.5 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Whirlpool for 60 min at 185 °F, IBU: 8.03
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.3, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
4.5 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Thanks for the info! I have 2 oz in the freezer I was going to play with. Now I'm thinking of subbing them for Azacca in my Mango Habanero IPA.

I have a half pound of the 2015 that I was gonna use for a Rye IPA as a single hop, but the mix of love it or hate it responses is making me consider doing a blend. While Green Pepper doesn't sound bad, I would hate for it to be a dominate flavor, would prefer a note of it among that collection of really appealing descriptors. Do you get those other flavors at all, or just the pepper?

I have a half pound of the 2015 that I was gonna use for a Rye IPA as a single hop, but the mix of love it or hate it responses is making me consider doing a blend. While Green Pepper doesn't sound bad, I would hate for it to be a dominate flavor, would prefer a note of it among that collection of really appealing descriptors. Do you get those other flavors at all, or just the pepper?

To me, green pepper is definitely the dominant flavor. I get a little bit of subdued pine in the flavor/aroma, and maybe a little bit of lemon/lime. I had some friends and family try the beer yesterday and their responses are mixed:

Me: Not a big fan. Green pepper taste/aroma is really strong. Not bad, but I won't do it as the dominant hop again.
Wife: Thinks it's pretty good. Thinks the taste is unique, but doesn't really get the green pepper taste.
Friend 1: Really likes it. Says he picks up on the pepper in the after taste.
Friend 2: Not a big IPA fan. Said the whole beer was "good for an IPA". Didn't get much of a green pepper flavor.
Friend 3: Also not a big IPA fan, but liked this one. Picks up more citrus/pine more than pepper.

Apparently it's one of those flavors that some people pick up and some don't. Personally, I'd mix it at least 50/50 with another strong hop (I've got a Citra/Equinox IPA ready soon that I'm looking forward to trying). To use the rest of the pound I have, I think I'll use it as about a third of the flavor/aroma hops in next few recipes.

To me, green pepper is definitely the dominant flavor. I get a little bit of subdued pine in the flavor/aroma, and maybe a little bit of lemon/lime. I had some friends and family try the beer yesterday and their responses are mixed:

Me: Not a big fan. Green pepper taste/aroma is really strong. Not bad, but I won't do it as the dominant hop again.
Wife: Thinks it's pretty good. Thinks the taste is unique, but doesn't really get the green pepper taste.
Friend 1: Really likes it. Says he picks up on the pepper in the after taste.
Friend 2: Not a big IPA fan. Said the whole beer was "good for an IPA". Didn't get much of a green pepper flavor.
Friend 3: Also not a big IPA fan, but liked this one. Picks up more citrus/pine more than pepper.

Apparently it's one of those flavors that some people pick up and some don't. Personally, I'd mix it at least 50/50 with another strong hop (I've got a Citra/Equinox IPA ready soon that I'm looking forward to trying). To use the rest of the pound I have, I think I'll use it as about a third of the flavor/aroma hops in next few recipes.

I would love to mix with Citra, but I have a SMaSH pending with those. The recipe I have won't have any hop additions before 5 minutes in the boil, mostly flameout and dry hop. I have heard that the green pepper really comes out with early hop additions as opposed to late hops, but your Equinox additions are late. It is comforting to know that people have different reactions to the flavor and aroma. Thanks for the information, it is quite helpful.:mug: I will probably end up just going for it with my recipe for science.

Just tapped a keg of my latest batch which features a 50/50 blend of Equinox and Citra. Mixed with Citra, I think it hides the green pepper flavor a bit, but brings out more pine for some reason. This IPA isn't bad, but isn't great. My Citra/Cascade recipes are much better, IMO. This will be the last pound of Equinox for me.

I would love to mix with Citra, but I have a SMaSH pending with those. The recipe I have won't have any hop additions before 5 minutes in the boil, mostly flameout and dry hop. I have heard that the green pepper really comes out with early hop additions as opposed to late hops, but your Equinox additions are late.
I also brewed a single hop Session IPA with all the Equinox additions made after flameout (whirlpool + dry hop) and unfortunately got that weird "green pepper" flavor as well. Another unpleasant thing was quite noticeable chili-like hot taste from hydrometer sample, which luckily almost disappeared once I fined the beer with gelatyne. I suspect the reason was that I had oats in my grainbill and protein compounds somehow bound with tiny hop particles. (Huh, not only does it smell like pepper but also tastes like it!)
So, I will definitely be avoiding Equinox in whirlpool in the future, but would happily use it again in dry hopping as I found it perfectly nice in aroma department: very pleasant and pungent mix of citrus and tropical fruits. Would be a great partner hop for Citra or Amarillo, I suppose.

Haven't brewed with it, but have picked up a couple commercial beers featuring equinox including the Terrapin So Fresh & So Green. I definitely got green pepper from that one but others do not. So I think I will avoid brewing with this one.

I wanted to follow up on my dislike of Equinox, lol. I really don't like this hop. Over the past few months, I've been trying to work through my last pound, but even adding a little bit here and there, it's still noticeable even in small amounts. For example, this is the "hop bill" for the Session IPA I tapped last night:

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Apollo, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 40.91
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.94
1.25 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 200 °F, IBU: 2.93
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.8, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 200 °F, IBU: 2.03
0.75 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.2, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 200 °F, IBU: 2.19
1 oz - Equinox, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 200 °F, IBU: 3.49
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
1.25 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
0.75 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.4, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

I can't believe that only having an ounce of Equinox at Flame Out can still bring out the green-pepper/green-chili flavor/aroma! The flavor is only in beers that have had Equinox in it, so I'm quite certain it's the culprit.

At this point I have 6-7 ounces left, so I think I'm either gonna toss the last few ounces, or, try it as a 30+ minute bittering addition. I hate to waste anything, but I've tried all sorts of hop combinations with Equinox and I can't find a good one yet.

Dang. I feel like you must be extremely sensitive to whatever produces that flavor, it's so outnumbered with some really strong-flavored hops there. My 8 oz. pack is still in my freezer, because my brewing plans are constantly changing. I am planning to finally use it in a White IPA in a couple weeks, paired with Bravo and HBC 438, and then again in a Rye IPA during the summer with Columbus and Summit. I strongly doubt I'll dislike it, green pepper or not. I'm determined to roll with it, even paired with Summit which is obviously known for being divisive.

Hey, if I end up liking it, I'll pay for shipping for those last ounces.

The last thing you should do it throw it away....Sell it in the classified section, or give it away to a newer brewer getting started. When I was getting started some nice folks on here "donated" items to me here and there and I am forever grateful and try to pay it forward.

Haven't brewed with them, but just had a Long Trail Standout which features them according to the label. Didn't get any Green Pepper, just a real nice tropical fruity flavor. Made me want to get some to try in my next PA, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.

I just tapped a keg of IPA similar to the hop schedule above, but only had 0.5oz at 10min and 0.67oz of Equinox in the dry hop and it isn't nearly as strong as the whole ounce used in a hop stand. Or, after drinking the last beer, my taste buds are getting used to it. Either way, I'm going to try it as a 30min+ bittering addition rather than throw it away. Hopefully the longer boil will drive off the peppery flavor I don't care for.

used em for the first time today..threw a couple ounces in a saison (along with amarillo).

Went ahead and did a single hop White IPA with Equinox, and bottled it today. I have an orange juice glass full of it right now and it's delicious. I don't get much pepper, maybe a note, but for me it's like mosaic with this myriad of different flavors, a little lemon/lime, mango, passionfruit, etc. It doesn't taste like a single hop beer. I used some Warrior for bittering and I threw 5 ounces for 30 minutes at 170 degrees, and dry hopped with 3 ounces. I love it. This may be my favorite hop. If you have any more Patrick87, I'd totally take it.

I decided I'd try and use it for bittering additions. I have a Pineapple IPA that will be kegged in a couple days and used an ounce of it at 30 minutes. Hoping the longer boil drives off all the flavor, lol. Glad you like it, but I've found that it's not for me.

I used some in a Red X IPA recently using Warrior as my bittering and not adding Equinox until 15 minutes but I also used some as a dry hop with Nelson Sauvin. I do get a slight green pepper taste which is not bad. It's not my favorite hop but I am using the rest in very late additions and dry hop only. I want more pizazz from my hops and while I admit I need to try this in more beers, it won't be my go to hop.

After drinking this for a week, I added some Citra and Amarillo hops to the keg which did take some of the green pepper from it and make it more to my liking.
It was certainly drinkable before but I figure why not make it more enjoyable.

I don't know if this has been addressed but, I'm curious if anyone sensitive to the green flavor from equinox has tried only using it for dry hopping. I'm hoping the green pepper compound is a kettle flavor, and that I can still use it for dry hopping.

I don't know if this has been addressed but, I'm curious if anyone sensitive to the green flavor from equinox has tried only using it for dry hopping. I'm hoping the green pepper compound is a kettle flavor, and that I can still use it for dry hopping.

Only used it once so far and not solely as a dry hop, but from what I've read the pepper is typically only apparent in the boil and whirlpool.

just got a lb of this stuff and was planning to do a single hop beer. not so sure it's a good idea anymore after reading this.

just got a lb of this stuff and was planning to do a single hop beer. not so sure it's a good idea anymore after reading this.

Unless you're afraid of even a note of Green Pepper, I say go for it. I think it's very complex and a perfect SMaSH candidate.

I made a delicious single hop DIPA with Simcoe powder. Bravo for bittering and Simcoe powder in the dry hop only.

I plan on making the same beer with Ekuanot powder pellets. 4oz of powder pellets split between primary and keg hop.

I will report back ASAP

Back