Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine, please show me some proof other than they could if they wanted. And I agree ir is ridiculos but until you can show/say something other than above it is an unproven accusation. Tellme who, when, why
Oppurtunity does not automatically mean guilt

Fine, please show me some proof other than they could if they wanted. And I agree ir is ridiculos but until you can show/say something other than above it is an unproven accusation. Tellme who, when, why
Oppurtunity does not automatically mean guilt

Why do you think it's so bad? Do you think hockey players and (more importantly) their trainers have some sort of magical integrity? Personally I don't think it's a big deal at all if pro athletes use banned substances to help them recover. For some reason you seem to believe the promises of millions of dollars and fame won't tarnish the world of lollipops and rainbows that you think is professional sport.

But not sure why you keep asking me to answer questions that you know are impossible.

Yeah, i'd say that's a tough spot. How do they sign Brodeur and actually try to keep Parise? Does Brodeur sign a cap-friendly one year deal to just hang around ?

I mean, you can't let Brodeur go play somewhere else.

Does Parise actually want to stay there?

That Kovalchuk signing is really gonna make things hard on em.

Should be an interesting offseason, I'm looking forward to see what the Flyers plan on doing ... ugh.

Speaking of Parise, anyone see his comment when asked if he would sign with Rangers, lol. Just goes to show how deep the rivalry goes, and justifies my hatred for the Debbies.

Besides, he should jump at the chance. Doesn't he know they're gonna be champs next year.......

Northjerzyg said:
Speaking of Parise, anyone see his comment when asked if he would sign with Rangers, lol. Just goes to show how deep the rivalry goes, and justifies my hatred for the Debbies.

Besides, he should jump at the chance. Doesn't he know they're gonna be champs next year.......

Worked out well for Gomez didn't it!

Only 4 more days until the leafs make a draft day splash and get Luongo, Nash, and the rights to shultz.
Parise and suter are coming July 1 for our cup run.

REBUILD COMPLETE.

emjay said:
Yep. I think we got the better deal on that one ;)

We'll see. If he hits like he did(n't) or stays healthy like he did(n't) in Philly, I think the Flyers will be on top. And the cap hit for the next 4 years for Schenn vs 6 for JVR.

Flyers needed to get younger on D and have been sorely missing a right handed shot there.

Big discussions in Pittsburgh over the Staal trade. Pittsburgh had offered him a 10 year $60 million contract which he turned down. In an interview today, he said he would have been interested in a shorter term deal, but the 10 years made him think that it would have essentially kept him from ever playing with his brother. He also sort of mentioned the talent in Pittsburgh and his desire to have a bigger test of his abilities. All in all, this trade looks like it helps both teams, and while everyone in Pittsburgh hated to see him go, there is genuine appreciation to him and also happy to see him get a prominent role in Carolina and be united with his brother.

Pittsburgh gets a good defensive center in Brandon Sutter, another high first round pick (which they used to grab another good defensive prospect (pulion), someone else who sounded decent (can't remember right now), and some serious cap relief! Pittsburgh also traded michalak to Phoenix, again providing cap relief.

Leafs also gave up Gustavsson to the Jets for a 7th round pick. Good! He has been nowhere near the Conn Smythe winner he was a decade ago.

Now we just need an actually good goalie, hopefully from the Canucks.

copyright1997 said:
Big discussions in Pittsburgh over the Staal trade. Pittsburgh had offered him a 10 year $60 million contract which he turned down. In an interview today, he said he would have been interested in a shorter term deal, but the 10 years made him think that it would have essentially kept him from ever playing with his brother. He also sort of mentioned the talent in Pittsburgh and his desire to have a bigger test of his abilities. All in all, this trade looks like it helps both teams, and while everyone in Pittsburgh hated to see him go, there is genuine appreciation to him and also happy to see him get a prominent role in Carolina and be united with his brother.

Pittsburgh gets a good defensive center in Brandon Sutter, another high first round pick (which they used to grab another good defensive prospect (pulion), someone else who sounded decent (can't remember right now), and some serious cap relief! Pittsburgh also traded michalak to Phoenix, again providing cap relief.

Of the centers Pittsburgh needed to keep, he was the one. He was the one with heart, guts, and discipline in the series against Philly. I was hoping the Pens would do what was best for the team and move Crosby or Malkin. If Staal's primary motivation was playing with his brother, there's not much else you can do. Wonder if Carolina is going to make a move for Marc.

jtkratzer said:
Of the centers Pittsburgh needed to keep, he was the one. He was the one with heart, guts, and discipline in the series against Philly. I was hoping the Pens would do what was best for the team and move Crosby or Malkin. If Staal's primary motivation was playing with his brother, there's not much else you can do. Wonder if Carolina is going to make a move for Marc.

I think Shero was genuinely trying to keep him, as well as Crosby and Malkin. 60 million is a lot to turn down. But if in the end they didn't think they would be able to satisfy him (whether it was being the first center or family considerations), they had to deal him now as next year they would have no leverage once he was an unrestricted free agent.

copyright1997 said:
I think Shero was genuinely trying to keep him, as well as Crosby and Malkin. 60 million is a lot to turn down. But if in the end they didn't think they would be able to satisfy him (whether it was being the first center or family considerations), they had to deal him now as next year they would have no leverage once he was an unrestricted free agent.

I completely understand the move. I think the Pens might be worse off without him depending on how the players/picks they got in return turn out. He was just a really solid player and it had to be painful to let him go considering how consistent he's been and there aren't a lot of players in the league that do everything he does as well. I like Staal and how he plays. I thought he was a guy that they needed to keep at nearly all costs.

Crosby will be signing a 12 year, $104.4 million contact extension. So, it looks like he will be a Penguin for the rest of his career (13 years). Contract has an AAV of 8.7 million (in terms of cap space).

So, he is getting the same AAV as the existing contract. The talk on Pittsburgh sports shows is that this is somewhat of a discount in that he wanted the team to have room to sign others. This, plus the increase in salary cap and getting Staal's and mccaulich (.sp?) off the books gives the Pens some cap room to pursue others.

Tootoo goes to Detroit.

Flashback to the Bertuzzi trade a few years ago... Already reading from friends how bad they think this sucks.

Today could show who Suter and Parise are going to. (Crosses fingers!)

Brodeur back to Devils, 2 years at 9 mil. Seems like a bit much but he's always been a bit underpaid through his career.

He's worthless, except for face punching, there's not even a comparison between him and Tuzzi talent wise. I don't get Samuelsson either. Straight to the crapper they go...

I'm not so sure. I don't think he is as talented s Bertuzzi, but on a 3rd or 4th line, that kind of player often has value.

Samuelsson is an ok player. Low cost moves IMO. The big news so far is the Brunner pick up. He looks to be a pretty talented player even if he hasn't played in the NHL yet.

I'm kind of a glass half full fan when it comes to the wings. They haven't covered the loss of Lidstrom, Stuart and (probably) Homer yet, but they have improved the team as a whole with some relatively inexpensive signings. They younger guys who played last year will get playing time in GR and will be even more hungry to get back to the NHL now that they have a taste.

And teams tend to have some injuries so there will be competition aplenty to get the call up.

The big question mark for me is the Goaltender they got. Conklin didn't exactly instill confidence last season, and the word is still out on how this Gustafson will do.

I think we will be ok if some of our current D can pick up their games. I'm looking at you, Ericksson...

Considering he's had several years to get a name for himself, I don't expect it to happen.

jtkratzer said:
Saw that earlier today. I'm really happy the Flyers didn't cough up that kind of money for him.

Doubt he needs the money, just wondering if he thinks Dallas is a contender or they were the only ones interested.

Suter and Parise still undecided. Not surprising as they're the two everyone's talking about. Yeah, Brodeur was brought up too but I think most people expected him to stay in NJ (although there were hopes of a Chicago destination *cough*). I bet it gets dragged out as long as possible so they can fully weigh their options and watch as teams scramble for them.

MeatyPortion said:
Suter and Parise still undecided. Not surprising as they're the two everyone's talking about. Yeah, Brodeur was brought up too but I think most people expected him to stay in NJ (although there were hopes of a Chicago destination *cough*). I bet it gets dragged out as long as possible so they can fully weigh their options and watch as teams scramble for them.

Been following Zach pretty heavy. Seems to be mostly family related. His fiancé is from ND but is a teacher in NJ, family from Minnesota. I gotta believe it's between NJ and MN. I don't think anyone can realistically get him and Suter, maybe Philly if they trade Bryz for a case of beer to make cap space. Highly doubt Zach goes anywhere near a rival Devil team though.

sivdrinks said:
Doubt he needs the money, just wondering if he thinks Dallas is a contender or they were the only ones interested.

I don't know. I would like to think Philly wanted him back and they have to be seen as more of a contender than Dallas, but I'm sure Philly didn't want that kind of cap hit for a guy that is essentially a mentor.

Wow, Minnesota got both of them. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637188

The Minnesota Wild landed the top forward and defenseman on the free agent market Wednesday.

Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported defenseman Ryan Suter agreed to terms with the Wild, and minutes later Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com and TSN reported that so too had forward Zach Parise, marking a monumental day in the history of the young franchise.

LeBrun reported both deals are for 13 years and $98 million, which locks them up through the 2024-25 season and would carry a salary cap hit of $7.538 million per campaign.

Screw em, now him and Suter can take showers together. Should be an interesting rest of the day with teams scrambling to sign everyone else.

sivdrinks said:
Screw em, now him and Suter can take showers together. Should be an interesting rest of the day with teams scrambling to sign everyone else.

Wow. Surprised both went for 13 year deals. Minnesota hasn't really been a legit contender and both seem like guys that would want to go to places for that length of time where they'll have a chance to win several Cups.

I wonder if Heatley and Parise will play together.

I don't know. I would like to think Philly wanted him back and they have to be seen as more of a contender than Dallas, but I'm sure Philly didn't want that kind of cap hit for a guy that is essentially a mentor.

Jagr just wants to do a tour of the non cup winning teams of the NHL before he asks the Penguins to become one for the day (of his retirement). Which they won't grant. :)

copyright1997 said:
Jagr just wants to do a tour of the non cup winning teams of the NHL before he asks the Penguins to become one for the day (of his retirement). Which they won't grant. :)

Saw up to "asks the Penguins" in the preview and thought you were going to say something to the effect of asking them to let him come back to win another Cup.

And Matt Carle gets $5.5 mil/yr for the next 6 from Tampa Bay.

That seems like overpayment for a guy that does put up some points, but also regularly struggles with the puck in his own end. He was much better with Pronger on the other side of the blue line with him.

jtkratzer said:
And Matt Carle gets $5.5 mil/yr for the next 6 from Tampa Bay.

That seems like overpayment for a guy that does put up some points, but also regularly struggles with the puck in his own end. He was much better with Pronger on the other side of the blue line with him.

Did Philly make an offer? Got some cash without him and Jagr, hoping for Ryan or Doan? I'm thinking the Devils go after Ryan. They got D
men to trade and he's from Jersey.

Latest posts

Back