Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was Zidlicky who knocked Carter off the puck when he was coming in shorthanded in the 3rd period. Great defensive play and could very well be the turning point in the series.

MeatyPortion said:
Not sure, but it didn't look like LA gave much of a **** during this game. The have pressure but no urgency; New Jersey has both.

I agree. New Jersey is even seriously out-hitting them, which just shouldn't happen.

This next game will probably be their best chance to finish it. Brodeur didn't look so hot during game 3, which might have something to do with playing immediately after a cross-country trip.

rjwhite41 said:
Good thing I don't gamble much I guess. I am very surprised this series isn't over already but maybe LA just wants to skate the Cup at home.

I honestly don't know what you guys are seeing. LA isn't even close to dominating this series.

sivdrinks said:
I honestly don't know what you guys are seeing. LA isn't even close to dominating this series.

They were obviously nervous in game 4, and weak in game 5 (although they started out strong... they WERE dominating when Parise scored the first goal), but other than that, they've been pretty dominant. You curiously talk about Brodeur as if he's crap, but he's the only reason the Devils are still in this thing.

emjay said:
They were obviously nervous in game 4, and weak in game 5 (although they started out strong... they WERE dominating when Parise scored the first goal), but other than that, they've been pretty dominant. You curiously talk about Brodeur as if he's crap, but he's the only reason the Devils are still in this thing.

I guess we'll just disagree. Marty has improved every series in the playoffs, he was quite average in the regular season.

It certainly is a closer match than the 3-0, 3-1 or now 3-2 game count shows. The first two were decided in OT, where any team can win. (Yeah, I know, the stronger team won.)

I think it is likely that LA takes the series, most likely at home in game 6, but all in all these two teams are pretty evenly matched.

copyright1997 said:
It certainly is a closer match than the [...] now 3-2 game count shows.

Hardly.

When the series was 3-0, I agreed that it was closer than that near-sweep made it look. But I'd also argue that the series wasn't QUITE as close as the two overtimes suggested.

And before anyone says that goals are the only metric that really matters and thus it doesn't matter HOW a team gets them... the same argument could be even better applied to *wins* rather than goals, ESPECIALLY for such a low-scoring defensive team as the Kings (who struggled much of the season to support their strong defensive play with goals).

emjay said:
Hardly.

When the series was 3-0, I agreed that it was closer than that near-sweep made it look. But I'd also argue that the series wasn't QUITE as close as the two overtimes suggested.

And before anyone says that goals are the only metric that really matters and thus it doesn't matter HOW a team gets them... the same argument could be even better applied to *wins* rather than goals, ESPECIALLY for such a low-scoring defensive team as the Kings (who struggled much of the season to support their strong defensive play with goals).

So if the Devils pull this out would you admit they deserve it? No matter how they win? I have no issue with LA winning, other than the fact I'm a Devils fan.

Around an hour until the puck drops... can't wait.

Put some money on this game for once. I think this is LA's best chance to finish the series. Quick looked off last game, but he also didn't skate in the practice that day which is uncharacteristic, so maybe he wasn't feeling best. Speaking of which, Brodeur was off his game the most when he had to play the day after flying across the country, so maybe the same will happen tonight. I'm hoping it will!

I originally predicted LA to win in 6 and also had money on that in a pool, so to some extent I was kind of hoping NJ would win games 4 and 5, but if LA doesn't win tonight I think they're screwed. I also predicted Brown would win the Conn Smythe, but unless something spectacular happens tonight, I doubt it's going to happen, since historically the Finals have been pretty heavily weighted in the determination, and Brown just hasn't been the force that he was earlier on in the playoffs. In fact, I think Brodeur has a VERY good chance, even if the Kings win. Though I imagine Quick has the Vezina locked anyways.

If the Devils win tonight I actually think the pressure would go back on them to complete the comeback. I fully expect LA to come out flying and the Devils to try and weather the storm in the first.

sivdrinks said:
So if the Devils pull this out would you admit they deserve it? No matter how they win? I have no issue with LA winning, other than the fact I'm a Devils fan.

I think the winning team ALWAYS deserves it, unless they only won because of blatant officiating errors. Because wins are ultimately what matters. Doesn't matter how ugly a win looks, or if a goalie or even another player (eg Stamkos) carries the entire team, it's the entire package that counts... be it a goalie or player, 1st line or 4th line that makes the difference. Like ww said a while back, the NHL has the best Playoff system of all the major North American pro sports leagues. If you can pull out 4 wins, you're obviously doing something right. That, or your opponent was doing something wrong. Either way, it'd be ridiculous to say that a Cup champion doesn't deserve it, just as it was ridiculous for several people to say that neither the Kings or Devils represented the best of the league when they made it to the Finals.

Northjerzyg said:
I can already hear it. Conspiracy, wahhh, the league hates us, wahhhh..............

I find it amusing, how giddy you must be because your Rangers haven't done **** since 94 and the Devils have been to 5 Cups since then.

I had my head turned for the penalty. I have no idea what just happened, outside of the following LA steamroller.

All I know is that if the Devils by some miracle pull this game off (and I stress miracle), the momentum means they take game 7 too.

Northjerzyg said:
I can already hear it. Conspiracy, wahhh, the league hates us, wahhhh..............

If one looks at the penalties in the rest of the series, only a retard would think so.

sivdrinks said:
So where's the talk about him turning his back? Dumb penalty none the less.

There's a consensus by the Canadian commentators that Scuderi should have protected himself. However, there's also a consensus that the 5 minute penalty was still the right call. After watching the replay many times, I agree on both counts.

3 goals in a major penalty is pretty ridiculous though. ESPECIALLY for a team with as lousy a powerplay as the Kings. Nobody could have seen that coming. I'm willing to bet that LA gets a bunch of penalties to "balance it out".

Ryan Carter is a retard jumping on Quick like that. It's rare that dirty moves are so blatantly obvious.

MeatyPortion said:
1 for the Devils

Yep. Penner just got a ridiculous "roughing" penalty. As I said earlier, there'll be a bit of balancing out, though the Kings don't seem to be giving them much opportunity.

And Clarkson gets 10 min misconduct for mouthing off... NJ could kind of use him right now.

Devils have been horrible this game. No hitting, no hustle, no heart. That plane ride must really suck. The one back won't be too fun either.

sivdrinks said:
That plane ride must really suck. The one back won't be too fun either.

Going to be one hell of an uncomfortable flight for Bernier.

Back