Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
College puck kicks arse.

It's a long ways off, but the frozen four is gonna be in Philly in 2016. Would love to go see a few games of that!

Whether it be NCAA, Canadian Juniors, or the WJC ... i love watching any of it, the guys are so young, and have endless energy it's usually great to watch. I didn't get to see any this year but the Canada v. USA WJC Final last year was amazing.

I wish to again, state my displeasure with the shootout.

Considering the tightness of the Western Conference, it is safe to say that playoff spots will be decided by this perversion.

It is a travesty.

arturo7 said:
I wish to again, state my displeasure with the shootout.

Considering the tightness of the Western Conference, it is safe to say that playoff spots will be decided by this perversion.

It is a travesty.

Right. The Flyers have more wins than the Canucks and a game at hand, but since the Canucks have lost more games in OT/SO rather than regulation, they have 2 points more in the standings.

If we're going to maintain the shootout, we need the 3-2-1 point system rewarding teams for winning as soon as possible.

I read your post again and how do you suggest tie breakers? What would you have done in the situation last year where the Rangers and Flyers were tied going into the last game of the regular season and the game went to a shootout to decide the game and ultimately, a playoff spot as the Rangers went home. If you just had a tie and each team going a single point, how do you decide who is in and who isn't?

Looks like 2 of the 5 DMen on the Nucks are back this week, thankfully.

And as a Canuck fan, I wouldn't mind them slipping into 2nd overall. Hockey is so supersticious, and the Presidents Cup has not been kind to teams over the last number of years.

Canucks are going all the way this year!

OK, good luck going through Philly. And good luck keeping up the production with a starting line up of d-men out injured.

Well, historically, the team who wins the President's Trophy has a very bad record of wining the Stanley Cup.

But yeah, congratulations to the Canucks! :mug: :D

Congrats for what? They haven't done anything yet. They're in first place in the league by 2 points having played one more game and the team in second place has more wins.

Go Flyers.

NHL and MillerCoors signed a 400 million, 7 year sponsorship deal.

And on another note Go Caps. Very old school game last night hard hitting and defensive. Bylsma should of never called Nueiv "Shakey" in HBO 24/7, he's blank the Pens twice since the show ended.

NHL and MillerCoors signed a 400 million, 7 year sponsorship deal.

And on another note Go Caps. Very old school game last night hard hitting and defensive. Bylsma should of never called Nueiv "Shakey" in HBO 24/7, he's blank the Pens twice since the show ended.

This really means nothing, as InBev has a private deal with 22 of 24 US teams, and a few of the Canadian teams. So they are dumping money into advertising, but not getting the sole rights to beer distribution.

Awesome ending to the Sharks/Pens game in OT tonight. I was swearing since I thought there would be a shoo out but the OT period was excellent and resulted in a goal being scored. Happy time.

That was a great game Meaty. Newb HBT member, nice to see some people who know the game here instead of retard football fans.

Only good thing about the Panthers/Devils game was I made it onto the Kiss cam. Panthers where falling left and right, passing the puck to the Devils or behind each other.

Oh hell yeah, Chicago is on a 5 game winning streak with a win over the Wild tonight. Even better is that they're now in 6th place. They looked pretty good tonight aside from a couple defensive breakdowns but they're on the right track.

Congrats for what? They haven't done anything yet. They're in first place in the league by 2 points having played one more game and the team in second place has more wins.

Go Flyers.

Yeah, that's my point. Notice the smiley face??

It's shaping up to be a massive mess at the end of the season, especially in the West. Awesome!

The only downside so far has been Chicago's determined effort to make the playoffs. Oh, and Minnesota's buttugly uniforms. They look like giant Christmas Elves.

Hawks looking good.

Toews Kane Sharp line has been on FIRE.
Toews has something like 15 points in last 8 or 9 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
An eight game winning streak is nothing to sneer at, that's for sure. I like the way they're playing lately but if the Hawks get to the cup finals this year it's due to Toews' leadership.

Newsflash to all Chara fans, it was made official yesterday, the guy is not only a cheap shot artist (like a lot of people have realized over the years) he pretty much has no heart. You do not give out an interview after sending a guy to the hospital and you do not give out an interview where you say it wasn't intentionnal and that you shouldn't be suspended.

Claude Julien also acted like a little sh%t afterward (it wasnt a hit to the head, are you kidding me ?). So much for a team who accused the Habs of being a vicious team all week before the game. Show some class Boston. Being sorry for the guy you could've killed is the bare minimum. Shut your mouth and wait for your suspension. Geez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the skirts don't like the hit. No different than hitting a guy & the door popping open. Or hitting a guy and his stick getting stuck at the door crease in the boards & him being speared.

Yes it was a rub out into the turnbuckle, just like what happens countless times per week not just in the NHL but everywhere people are playing contact hockey except no one flips out because most of the time there is no injury.

Stop being so overreacting.

Ah, I see you are Québécois, your response makes more sense now.
Ben Lovejoy made the same exact hit on Tyler Ennis last night in the Pens/Sabres game. Except it wasn't interference & no penalty was called. Ennis got his bell rung.

There was nothing wrong with the hit by Chara aside from the fact that it was into the divider. Anywhere else in the rink and that's an interference call at worst. Chara's not a cheap shot artist nor is it unreasonable for him to have a press conference after a situation like that. Hell, even the Habs have said it wasn't intentional. Keep reaching though.

OK, please explain how Chara's turnbuckle rub out is any different than every other one around the league? Pacioretty got injured?

mxracer652 said:
OK, please explain how Chara's turnbuckle rub out is any different than every other one around the league? Pacioretty got injured?

Nah, man. I'm agreeing with you. My respnse was directed towards the Habs fan.

There's more to this than just another ugly hit: Chara is 270lbs and almost 7 feet tall. You can see him lifting Pacioretty to guide him into the turnbuckle. The push Pacioretty gave him on January 9 after scoring the overtime goal seems to have rubbed him the wrong way and voila, we have a guy who will not only miss the reminder of the season but whose career might very well be over. Pacioretty got a broken vertebrae and a very severe concussion: it was a cheap shot in a dangerous spot on the ice. Chara has always been a yellow player: civil on the outside, but will readily give a hit when the refs aren't watching.

I'm all for physical hockey but there's been a steady return to "Scott Stevens" hockey for a few years and it's getting out of hand again. This wasn't a situation where a player chose not to defend himself to draw a penalty or kept his head low: Pacioretty had no way to defend himself, the puck was a mile away and Chara was beat.

You can all call me a skirt or a rabid Habs fan or whatever (I'm not much of a Habs fan btw), but the move was intentional. Good tactful players just do not act this way around the turnbuckle. You don't see such hits everyday as some of you have said. And even then, if it was an accident, why try to say it isn't your style to try to hurt players after the game ? You did hurt a player severly you moron, don't try to justify or defend yourself. A good gesture would have been to refuse to talk to the press and say you're sorry in a writen statement afterward. But no, Julien and Bergeron had to downplay the whole affair.

It wasn't intentional and no amount of analysis by people such as yourself will change that fact. You don't like it, then quit watching hockey.

What does "people such as yourself" mean ? Massarotti, columnist for the Boston Globe has said today that Chara's gesture was difficult to defend and that he had every intention of running Pacioretty into the turnbuckle. I'm not a Habs fan (Colorado fan here, for obvious reasons), I have no stake in this except wanting clean, good hockey where players are safe.

jfr1111 said:
What does "people such as yourself" mean ? Massarotti, columnist for the Boston Globe has said today that Chara's gesture was difficult to defend and that he had every intention of running Pacioretty into the turnbuckle. I'm not a Habs fan (Colorado fan here, for obvious reasons), I have no stake in this except wanting clean, good hockey where players are safe.

People such as yourself who already hate the "Scott Stevens" brand of hockey. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that style and that's not even how Chara plays; you're just using that in a lame attempt to paint Chara as some cheap goon. So what if you found a Boston columnist making a dubious claim? I'm sure I could find a Montreal columnist who claims it was unintentional. If you want good, clean hockey where players are safe then, gosh, we'll have to outlaw fighting and checking. You need to take off the skirt, bro.

The thing that is wrong with that style is that it ends careers. Bergeron has never been the same player since 2007 and Eric Lindros probably tapped 20% of his potential because of it. Sorry, but it needs to change and it needs to change now. A lot of old time players are commenting about how players do not respect each others and it saddens me. Hockey is way more than stupid meatheads bashing their heads in. The slippery slope argument is downright ridiculous: giving 20 games to players who do stupid stuff like that doesn't amount to banning checking or fighting. If you think so, sorry to say, but the meaty portion is between your ears.

So don't try to lecture me on a game I love and have played and watched ever since I was a child bro.

Ok, bro, you obviously played some watered down version. For the record I've been playing since I was 5 and I've always accepted the risks. Once again, there is nothing wrong with the check that Chara threw, if you have a problem then it's with the way the rink was designed. Face it, you're wrong, and you just can't admit it.

Oh and I guess to keep your wee sensibilities from getting offended we can have everyone skate around, covered in bubble wrap. If that will put your wittle conscience at ease then I guess that's all that matters. Go watch figure skating.

Thanks from keeping this from devolving into a "you're a little girl" debate ala Don Cherry. I don't share your caveman view of the sport : I'd rather watch good players duke it out (with fighting and checking) than see them have their career ended because of what exactly ? Ah yes, the macho insecurities of fans who are afraid to see the league actually do something about the health of their players.

I'm out of here, we'll see what the league does.

Latest posts

Back