Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blues are 7-1-2 under the fat, donut eating bastard.

If this keeps up, I may need to reconsider the derisive moniker.

Damn... now it's not just the guy leading the league in points that's a Leaf, but ALSO the #2. Crazy. And 3rd overall, just one win behind the Penguins... who woulda thunk it?

I still think they'll finish out the season battling for the Eastern conference's 8th and final playoff spot though.

Damn... now it's not just the guy leading the league in points that's a Leaf, but ALSO the #2. Crazy. And 3rd overall, just one win behind the Penguins... who woulda thunk it?

I still think they'll finish out the season battling for the Eastern conference's 8th and final playoff spot though.

Lupul has been 2nd for a few games now (not bad for a salary-dump to get Gardiner, eh?). Leafs finally have a dangerous powerplay, sufficient goaltending, 3 lines that can actually score, and the best first line I've seen in ages. Lupul and Kessel can score anytime, we know this - but now Bozak is a real threat up there as well. Toronto has a great problem in having to put Grabovski on the 4th line.

And yes, the Leafs are in for a reality check - we all know it's coming. But FINALLY a winning record in November. This hasn't happened in FOREVER. In the past 3 years, the Leafs' season has been toast by the time December rolled around. If they can just manage to play .500 for the rest of the year, there should be playoff hockey in Toronto. This city is so much fun when that happens.

Short term goal: Beat Boston once this week (they play 'em twice back-to-back)
Longer term goal: Finish 7th in the East. Get swept in the first round. We don't care. Just play in late April.

Next season, we'll shoot for the Cup ;).

That noise you heard was 98% of the Verizon center googling Dale Hunter. :p

Wow, a name from the past. So they go from a coach (I called Bruce "Mr Nice Guy" after watching the 24x7 series - I couldn't let me 8 year old watch it because of him) who's team folds in the playoffs to an ex-player from an earlier version of the team (also a real "nice guy" on the ice) that also folded in the playoffs. :)

Maybe Ovechkin will actually try to score now?

For all you Crosby haters, something to stir you up:
Crosby stats this season:
4 games played. (649th in NHL)
9 points. (221st in NHL)
2 goals. (265th in NHL)
7 assists. (153rd in NHL)

Oh yeah, the Pittsburgh Penguins are 3-0-1 with him back and have averaged 4.25 goals per game vs. 2.85 for the 20 games he was out.

Spoken by a fan of the team with the all-time PIM leader.

Dave Schultz is not the all time PIM leader. He holds the record for most in a single season, but not even close for the career record.

I had dinner with Dave Schultz and Bob Kelly a few weeks ago, great people, but they won Cups before I was born and I never got to see them play. The Hammer also played for the Pens, Kings, and Sabres, so they're also responsible.

Tiger Williams has the record for most PIMs over a career and played for these teams: Leafs, Canucks, Red Wings, Kings, and Whalers. Never played for the Flyers...imagine that. Williams had 1,672 more PIMs over his career than Schultz, almost as many as the current active PIMs leader, Sean O'Donnell (1,727).

The guy highest on the career PIMs list who played for the Flyers at some point in his career is number 7, Craig Berube. He only played 323 of his 1,054 games in Philly (36% of his career PIMs).

Dale Hunter had 1,271 PIMs more than Schultz. Schultz currently sits 34th in PIMs over the entire course of the NHL.

Gotta love when people hold onto stereotypes that don't and haven't applied for years. Yes, it's history and lore in Philly, but it's just that - history.

Dave Schultz is not the all time PIM leader. He holds the record for most in a single season, but not even close for the career record.

I had dinner with Dave Schultz and Bob Kelly a few weeks ago, great people, but they won Cups before I was born and I never got to see them play. The Hammer also played for the Pens, Kings, and Sabres, so they're also responsible.

Tiger Williams has the record for most PIMs over a career and played for these teams: Leafs, Canucks, Red Wings, Kings, and Whalers. Never played for the Flyers...imagine that. Williams had 1,672 more PIMs over his career than Schultz, almost as many as the current active PIMs leader, Sean O'Donnell (1,727).

The guy highest on the career PIMs list who played for the Flyers at some point in his career is number 7, Craig Berube. He only played 323 of his 1,054 games in Philly (36% of his career PIMs).

Dale Hunter had 1,271 PIMs more than Schultz. Schultz currently sits 34th in PIMs over the entire course of the NHL.

Gotta love when people hold onto stereotypes that don't and haven't applied for years. Yes, it's history and lore in Philly, but it's just that - history.

I stand corrected. Always get those guys mixed up. I wonder why...?

Don't know. Hunter was quite a player, the only to score over 1,000 points while surpassing 3,000 PIMs. That's quite a feat.

It's unreal how many guys averaged over 4 PIMs a game for hundreds to almost 1000 games for Williams' career.

Yeah, but to score more points than most guys do in their career while spending an average of 4 minutes in the box every game is impressive. Misconducts or not, you can't score when you're in the box or locker room.

max pacioretty, 3 games out for is hit on Letang : Good call from Shanahan

Just hope it's a second start and that next time a Bruins do something stupid, Lucic on Miller, or Chara en Pacioretty, the result will be the same!

...he's like that guy that annoys the hell out of you, but man I'd love to have him on my team. Anyhoo, enjoy it while it lasts - good teams sticking together for years doesn't really happen that much in the NHL anymore. Parity sucks.

With last nights scrappy win against the Oil, the Wild pull back into 1st in the NHL! Let's hope they can preserve and do some damage in playoffs!

'Nother come from behind shoot-out win for Wild. I'm not complaining, but can't we get some 1 or 2 goal leads early instead of always falling behind?

Also I would like the NHL to consider a 3 point system (3 for regular or OT win, 2 for shootout win, 1 for shootout loss, 0 for regulation/OT loss). Just like how the CCHA does it in college hockey. With this setup there would be more risk/reward in OT. Maybe make OT 10 minutes. Also there would be a consistent number of points assigned per game.

paulster2626 said:
not sure if serious......

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Not-sure-if-serious%202.jpg

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

not_sure_if_srs.jpg

It seems a bit unnecessary. The reason ice is so slippery is because water *expands* when it cools (at the melting point, of course), unlike just about any other compound in existence. So when you put weight on it, the pressure causes it to momentarily compress and the very top melts a very thin layer underneath, and it's this water in between your foot and the ice which makes it so slippery.

One of the functions of skate blades is to "concentrate" (can't think of a better word) your body weight over a much smaller area, which greatly increases the pressure applied to the surface, allowing the effect to be stronger and more reliable than it would be in normal shoes (in addition to providing stability).

So... heating the blade really only accomplishes what the blade has already been doing all along. But I'd actually think you'd lose AT LEAST a little stability due to ice at the sides of the blades' edges being melted when it normally wouldn't.

How do you figure?

Well, if you and I are playing hockey and I put these skates on, I would gain an advantage over you by being a tad faster - at least that's how it is supposed to work. But if you go and buy the same skates, then you're just as much faster as I am. Now we've just increased the price of playing hockey by $400. Sweet.

There's a good reason why this idea died 4 years ago.

A very thin layer of ice melts under the skate as it slides, and it freezes back up before your heel gets to that area. Remember your contact patch is much smaller then the blade itself.

T-blades are just frigging retarded, as most blades do not have a matching contour between the right/left skate, and also you cannot customize the blade's gemoetry to the skater. Small/speedy guys = less contour radius and less blade radius, and vice versa. (talking rule of thumb here)

Back