Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Detroit looks awful.

No kidding. Good Game before the last one and still lost. Sunday's game was just hard to watch. Missed that awful high stick that Nyquist gave. He might be out a couple of games, but we'll see. His first offense, but man it didn't look good. No excuse, but I wonder why they didn't call a penalty on the cross check he took right before it. Looked like a pretty good shot to his back to me.

I think they Wing's season is just about over. Losing Eriksson will be harder on them than I think a lot of people think. They are already not very good defensively and he's a veteran.

Won't even get started on the consistency of the goalies.

No kidding. Good Game before the last one and still lost. Sunday's game was just hard to watch. Missed that awful high stick that Nyquist gave. He might be out a couple of games, but we'll see. His first offense, but man it didn't look good. No excuse, but I wonder why they didn't call a penalty on the cross check he took right before it. Looked like a pretty good shot to his back to me.

I think they Wing's season is just about over. Losing Eriksson will be harder on them than I think a lot of people think. They are already not very good defensively and he's a veteran.

Won't even get started on the consistency of the goalies.
Yeah, they might as well forget looking at the rest of this year and just focus on rebuilding for next season.

Today we find out what the League has in store for Nyquist. Considering his record of sportsmanship, I am hoping for the best, but man that replay does not do him any favors. I expect him to miss several games.

And in this crazy season that might just cause the Wings to go on a big point streak! (Hey, I can hope, right?)

Wow, the article says that New Jersey also fired Claude Julien with like 3 games left in the season some years ago. Crazy.

You gotta believe there is something not right with these guys for them to pull the plug like that. Drinking problem, anger issues, or maybe they like American beer or something like that.

Wonder what the rationale was behind canning Therrien. They've hit a small skid... nothing major. Something had to have blown up behind the scenes for them to fire a coach that has them in the division lead for one that just got let go by a team 10 points behind them in the standings.

Press conference today at 11:00. Wonder if they'll give a straight answer.

Wonder what the rationale was behind canning Therrien. They've hit a small skid... nothing major. Something had to have blown up behind the scenes for them to fire a coach that has them in the division lead for one that just got let go by a team 10 points behind them in the standings.

Press conference today at 11:00. Wonder if they'll give a straight answer.

From what I've read, the fans were tired of any small bump in the road knocking them out of contention. Apparently he has a history of blowing the end of the season.

It almost seems like some kind of "Spin the Bottle" game they play with coaches in the NHL.

From what I've read, the fans were tired of any small bump in the road knocking them out of contention. Apparently he has a history of blowing the end of the season.

It almost seems like some kind of "Spin the Bottle" game they play with coaches in the NHL.

That's the thing: a coach gets fired by an org and another org snaps him up within a year. I'd place more of the issue on the general management in many of these cases. Especially in this case it seemed like Claude was really frustrated with the roster given him by Sweeney, speaking of which: https://www.nhl.com/player/dougie-hamilton-8476462

It's been a while since I've watched meaningful Leafs hockey this late in the season. :rockin:

It's been a while since I've watched meaningful Leafs hockey this late in the season. :rockin:

As much as I want to **** on the Leafs it is kind of nice that they aren't the perennial loser. Same with Edmonton, although I like the Oilers. At any rate, the league gets boring and predictable when you always have the same teams at the bottom. Matthews seems to be working out pretty well, and Babcock is getting his rhythm.

I'm gonna go on record and predict that Washington will win the cup.

rat bastards

If they don't, the internet will be relentless.

20120327-221444.jpg

Not going to let myself think this is our year.

Maybe this is our year.

Let's Go Caps!

Have nice seats for Thursday's game against the Devils. Every game I go to they win. Plus something something home win streak.

Well, the Wings are looking to trade some guys and get picks. The players may still be looking to win games from here on out, but management is looking to get what they can out of some guys.

I really hope they plan to get Vaneck back again next year. Kind of wish Ott was used more too.

Has there ever been a team that can cough up third period leads consistently like Toronto?

Doesn't help that they stink in the shootout too.

Fully admit I was wrong about the Bruins. There's still some life in that corpse yet. :D

Still hoping the Leafs manage to sneak in. At least they're showing some fortitude. After that embarrassing loss to the Panthers on Tuesday, they bounce back and shut out Tampa 5-0 tonight.

Very nice. I think Chicago has as much chance as anybody right now. Maybe they aren't as deep as some teams, but anything can happen, and if they get confidence they can do as well as anybody.

(Hard to say for a Wings fan...)

Very nice. I think Chicago has as much chance as anybody right now. Maybe they aren't as deep as some teams, but anything can happen, and if they get confidence they can do as well as anybody.

(Hard to say for a Wings fan...)

I get you. The Wild have all of a sudden hit a 5 game losing streak, no idea what is happening there. Columbus is pretty hot right now but I don't think they have enough experience to get past the second round. Barring the Hawks winning the cup I wouldn't mind seeing Washington finally get the monkey off their back but lol just lol. Dark horse contender is still Edmonton in my book. If Pittsburgh wins again I'll be pissed but they have so many injuries, goaltending is still an issue, and Crosby will probably have a tantrum and hold his breath until he turns blue I don't think they win this year.

Article on NHL.com today proclaiming the Leafs are for real.

Not sure about that yet, but beating Boston last night was soooo satisfying. :D Puts them one point out of third in the Atlantic, and three up on the Isles for the wildcard.

I would love it if they could pass the Bruins.

Article on NHL.com today proclaiming the Leafs are for real.

Not sure about that yet, but beating Boston last night was soooo satisfying. :D Puts them one point out of third in the Atlantic, and three up on the Isles for the wildcard.

I would love it if they could pass the Bruins.

Probably could. Marchand is the only one really playing well and he's two steps from making a cheap hit and getting suspended again.

I don't think "reasonably well" cuts it in the playoffs. You either make it to the finals or bust.

Go Habs Go!

Reasonably well as opposed to swept in the first round. I know people like to think of the playoffs as purely all or nothing but long term you need to look at improvement rates and how that will affect the next season.

Probably could. Marchand is the only one really playing well and he's two steps from making a cheap hit and getting suspended again.
We're by them. Now let's see if they can stay there.

Third period last night was almost a disaster. Polak gets five and a game for boarding about a minute in. I didn't know this, but when that happens, the coach can choose whether or not to put a player in the box to serve out the five immediately, or later in the penalty kill. Normally they throw Marner in there, but Babcock apparently wanted to save him for a bit in case they went to four on four, so he decided to wait.

The problem was... there was no whistle at all during the five minute major. The penalty ended, and they can only get back to five on five by a player exiting the box. They can't just add a fifth player from the bench. They couldn't get a stoppage for almost two minutes after the penalty had expired (Boyle finally shot the puck onto the bench after they realized the Columbus goalie wasn't going to let them have an icing).

I watched that debacle. The Columbus goalie wasn't the issue. The rules say there is no icing when a team is short handed. The Leafs were just f'd. I'm not a fan of Babcock, I was hoping for a BJs goal.

Reasonably well as opposed to swept in the first round. I know people like to think of the playoffs as purely all or nothing but long term you need to look at improvement rates and how that will affect the next season.

I agree fully. The Leafs will be great again in due time. Matthews is their savior.

I watched that debacle. The Columbus goalie wasn't the issue. The rules say there is no icing when a team is short handed. The Leafs were just f'd. I'm not a fan of Babcock, I was hoping for a BJs goal.
I'll have to look that up. The article I read says that icing rules revert to normal when the penalty is over, not when they're back to five skaters.

Back