Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen Goon and prefer Slap Shot over Youngblood.

I had to tolerate the Mighty Ducks for hockey movies being an early 80s baby. That was pretty much...awful.

Just checked the hockey headlines on my way to the schedules...didn't expect to see the Leafs can Burke.

Reading about the firing, didn't realize or forgot that it's been nearly 9 years since the Leafs were in the playoffs. But I remember being at Game 5 for the 7-2 win. And I remember screaming at the TV when Tucker hit Kapanen.

Some names in that series..

I was never as big a fan of that one as Slapshot. I think it was too melodramatic for me. Have you seen Goon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sytVoTYFT08

Naah, need to though. Honestly though watching slapshot, the humor is seriously of the times, and the younger folk dont find some of the things funny that the older ones would. I like the movie, but trying to get somebody younger to watch it is like getting them to take out the trash...

Naah, need to though. Honestly though watching slapshot, the humor is seriously of the times, and the younger folk dont find some of the things funny that the older ones would. I like the movie, but trying to get somebody younger to watch it is like getting them to take out the trash...

Is it campy? I love campy movies.

Bruins are home playing the Rangers on the 19th.. Jesus, I can't wait for hockey..There's nothing to do between football games.. Go Bruins!!!!

Slapshot is absolutely amazing, the only drawback is how long it is ... it seems to drag on after awhile.

Goon was definitely good.

Kevin Smith was supposed to releasing a hockey-related movie called 'hit somebody', that i heard is being changed to a tv mini-series/movie. I'm assuming it'll show up on AMC ??

Barnzy02 said:
Slapshot is absolutely amazing, the only drawback is how long it is ... it seems to drag on after awhile.

Goon was definitely good.

Kevin Smith was supposed to releasing a hockey-related movie called 'hit somebody', that i heard is being changed to a tv mini-series/movie. I'm assuming it'll show up on AMC ??

Lifetime original movie?

I've still never seen Slapshot. Its on my list. I really liked The Goon.
If you liked Goon then I think you'll like Slapshot. Plus the clothes are hilarious.

I've never seen Goon and prefer Slap Shot over Youngblood.

I had to tolerate the Mighty Ducks for hockey movies being an early 80s baby. That was pretty much...awful.
I've actually never seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies. Just no interest whatsoever in seeing those and it's odd because I always liked the Bad News Bears but for some reason Emilio Estevez supervising a bunch of kids on skates never appealed to me.

Interesting. I'm trying to get my nephew to watch it. My BiL and I discovered on Xmas that the kid hadn't seen it yet so we're trying to address the issue.

If you liked Goon then I think you'll like Slapshot. Plus the clothes are hilarious.

I've actually never seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies. Just no interest whatsoever in seeing those and it's odd because I always liked the Bad News Bears but for some reason Emilio Estevez supervising a bunch of kids on skates never appealed to me.

Interesting. I'm trying to get my nephew to watch it. My BiL and I discovered on Xmas that the kid hadn't seen it yet so we're trying to address the issue.

Yeah, well, product of the timing of my birth. It's my parents' fault. I was 9 or 10 when that came out and playing hockey in Minnesota...If you were much older than that in 1992, it wouldn't have been appealing and it was what I remember as the beginning of the family movie that was kind of kid oriented but had a story that the parent(s) might be able to tolerate. They've come a long way with the Shrek and Madagascar and the like now that I'm 30 and have young kids watching those. The adult humor sprinkled throughout some of these animated movies is comical.

So the Flyers are apparently interested in the Luongo experience. Weird how they're drawn to guys that have "issues" like a moth to a flame.

Buying out Bryz, after less than two seasons...I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this. This is going to work wonders for the dude's fragile psyche and confidence.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413187

So the Flyers are apparently interested in the Luongo experience. Weird how they're drawn to guys that have "issues" like a moth to a flame.

Buying out Bryz, after less than two seasons...I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this. This is going to work wonders for the dude's fragile psyche and confidence.

Homer stated this was BS ... but he loves speaking in half truths.

Honestly, i like Bryz, and granted his season was far from stellar, it wasn't nearly the catastrophe it's constantly made it out to be.

The thing i'm looking forward to least about hockey starting ? Flyers beat writers writing again, cannot stand any of em.

Bryz to the Leafs, Greasy Bob to the Flyers, and ??? to Van****ty?

Stranger things have happened!

Homer stated this was BS ... but he loves speaking in half truths.

Honestly, i like Bryz, and granted his season was far from stellar, it wasn't nearly the catastrophe it's constantly made it out to be.

The thing i'm looking forward to least about hockey starting ? Flyers beat writers writing again, cannot stand any of em.

Even good old Tim Pinanc?

Reading a season preview to kill time before lunch and saw this stat:

Bryzgalov played in his native Russia during the lockout -- he had a 2.13 goals-against average and .913 save percentage for CSKA Moskva.

I'm starting to get doubtful about Bryz. Even these numbers, if you plug them into last seasons results, that's 7th in the league for GAA and tied for 23rd on SV%. I think most of the Orange & Black would be pleased with those numbers compared to his 2.48 GAA and .909 SV% from last year, but I think a lot of this is going to do with the defense more than Bryz's individual performance. He finished 32nd last year in SV%...that's like Mark Sanchez's 31st QB ranking, as a starter, and there's only 30 teams.

There were 11 goalies at .920 or better last year, and St Louis had two of them. Luongo and two others missed it by .001.

On the 1554 shots Bryz faced last year, if he were at .920, that's 17 fewer pucks getting by him, and that's nearly 0.3 goals per game lower.

Is he capable with the team in front of him?

Bryz started off really, really, really poorly in Russia and ended with a pretty strong finish with like 3-4 straight wins.

The way i look at Bryz, last season was a roller coaster, there were endless distractions, new team, our awful media that loves starting needless drama, HBO/Winter Classic, and on and on.

He was awful at times, specifically on first shots and the shootout, but if you look at what he accomplished during the month of March, he was unreal.

Had he not chipped a bone in his foot and missed the last few weeks leading into the playoffs, who knows what happens. He was also one of, if not, our best players during the NJ series, that's overlooked because of the Clarkson goal debacle though.

You know the Philly media are dicks when one of the first questions they ask, before there is even an official practice, is if bryz is "worried about being bought out after the season." TOTAL HACKS.

I don't know why so many people are hating on Bryz. last year was not his best year, but if you look at his stats and average them over the last few years compared to other goaltenders it's not as bad as you'd think. and his numbers last year weren't that bad anyway, just the expectations on him were so high. if the Flyers by him out I bet there is probably 15 or 20 other teams that would love to have him. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Oilers

Bryz started off really, really, really poorly in Russia and ended with a pretty strong finish with like 3-4 straight wins.

The way i look at Bryz, last season was a roller coaster, there were endless distractions, new team, our awful media that loves starting needless drama, HBO/Winter Classic, and on and on.

He was awful at times, specifically on first shots and the shootout, but if you look at what he accomplished during the month of March, he was unreal.

Had he not chipped a bone in his foot and missed the last few weeks leading into the playoffs, who knows what happens. He was also one of, if not, our best players during the NJ series, that's overlooked because of the Clarkson goal debacle though.

You know the Philly media are dicks when one of the first questions they ask, before there is even an official practice, is if bryz is "worried about being bought out after the season." TOTAL HACKS.

I'm with you on the media, and I know what you mean about the big picture. If we look at some of the pieces that put that big picture together...if he doesn't have the month of March that he did, his numbers are absolutely abysmal.

Take out his entire month of March, not just the good games, and his stat line looks like this:

23-14-6, 2.78 GAA, .898 SV%, 2 SO.

Leave in the three games in March where he was below .900 (.875, .846, .714), and you get this for the season:

24-16-6, 2.81 GAA, .895 SV%, 2 SO

2.81 is tied with Emery for 34th, and there wasn't a goalie below .900 on the stats list last year.

While those 10 games in March (13 total) drastically improved his numbers and it seems most guys do have hot and cold streaks throughout the year, they weren't even 1/4 of his play time.

It seems he's capable in flashes, but the lack of consistency is my concern. At 32 years old, I don't think we should still be talking about potential.

I don't know why so many people are hating on Bryz. last year was not his best year, but if you look at his stats and average them over the last few years compared to other goaltenders it's not as bad as you'd think. and his numbers last year weren't that bad anyway, just the expectations on him were so high. if the Flyers by him out I bet there is probably 15 or 20 other teams that would love to have him. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Oilers

A couple hot flashes of extraordinary doesn't really make up for months of mediocrity. It was a team failure in the playoffs, but a 3.47 GAA and SV% of .887? Maybe it's different if they get the wins, but that's only a perspective, the numbers are the same. I'd have been thrilled if they won the Cup, but that doesn't mean the excitement would carry into this year. He was better against NJ, but 3 of the 5 games were at .900 or below.

I think he's got himself in a spot where the pressure might be worse this year than last year. Even without the talk of buying him out or Luongo interest, real or imagined, he knows the results weren't good enough for the first year of that contract, and he has to know people want improvement.

We can debate and dissect stats all we like. The thing is, you are choosing to view only the stats that show that he isn't good enough, or ignoring the fact that he ACTUALLY played well at times.

You can't say, well look at how bad he would have been .... if he didn't play great and set a franchise record for a shutout streak during such and such stretch.

His stat line from last season isn't far off from the numbers he posted in PHX.

Here's the bottom line: Everyone (media and fans) are rushing to chase this guy out of town after he's fulfilled 1/9th of a contract he signed. It's ridiculous.

We can debate and dissect stats all we like. The thing is, you are choosing to view only the stats that show that he isn't good enough, or ignoring the fact that he ACTUALLY played well at times.

You can't say, well look at how bad he would have been .... if he didn't play great and set a franchise record for a shutout streak during such and such stretch.

His stat line from last season isn't far off from the numbers he posted in PHX.

Here's the bottom line: Everyone (media and fans) are rushing to chase this guy out of town after he's fulfilled 1/9th of a contract he signed. It's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see him succeed, and I'd like to see him stay in Philly, IF he can play well up to what he's being paid and win. The team was close to having an amazing season last year.

When you say I'm only looking at the bad, well yeah, when nearly 80% of his performance puts him at or near the bottom of the league when comparing the numbers, it's difficult to ignore.

I'm not trying to debate with you, just pointing out why people are critical. I think trying to justify his numbers based on one small sample size is a refusal to look at the pretty mediocre or below average numbers he put up the rest of the year, which happens to be the majority of the year. Those games in March were his saving grace.

Don't confuse my criticism with Bryz's numbers as being negative or wanting to run him out of town, it's more pointing out how good this team would have been with just a few percentage points here and there on his stats.

You pointed out March, I'll point out the opposite on the 11 games against NYR, Bos, and Tampa Bay.

Check this out: If he fixes one of the months where he averaged .880 or below (19 games in October and December), Flyers might have won the conference. Or, if that improvement were in the 11 games he played against Boston, NY Rangers, and Tampa Bay where he gave up 39 goals and had a 2-6-3 record. Two regulation wins from New York for a season split, one from Tampa Bay, and an OTL from Boston, and that record looks like 6-3-2, with 7 more points in the standings. Those 7 points wins them the conference and is one point shy of the President's trophy last year.

I don't think it was all that much, but those small subsets of awful or excellent play do impact the season. 13 (well 10) amazing games in March. 11 brutal games against three teams. Combine them, and you have: 12-8-4. Kind of offset each other over the season's average.

As much as it makes me throw up in my mouth at seeing him the O&B again, having Leighton on the bench is probably going to be the best thing for Bryz this season. There's not going to be any question of who the #1 is/should be/will be.

Bryz's total # of starts was also down last year, after starting anywhere from 65-70 games the previous 3-4 seasons.

Either way, you're right in the sense that Bryz performs, and/or the whole team D performs a bit better and they definitely slide up and have the potential to win the conference.

I mean, the way i look at it is ... looking back at the list of Flyers goalies in the last 10-15 years ... Bryz is head and shoulders the best thing we've had in a long time.

Here's hoping that he and the rest of the team don't stumble out of the gate.

With the short season, a five game slide can drop you to the bottom of the division. We could see some ridiculous moves at the trade deadline this year.

In the end Bryz got the team into the second round . There is 22 other goalies who wish they could say that. If you view anything less than a cup as failure, remember only one team wins the cup each year.

You bought your championship last year, this year the Wings return to dominating form and reclaim what is rightfully ours!!!
11.jpg

In the end Bryz got the team into the second round .

lol. You seem to have forgotten how that first round went.

That being said, I think that series was a perfect demonstration of how the Flyers system was kind of hanging him out to dry. Just looking at his stats without taking that into consideration is pretty unfair, and it seems that their media is doing the exact same thing to him that their system did.

lol. You seem to have forgotten how that first round went

Yeah, I should have worded that better. neither goalie was great in that round, but in the end they made it through and he with them, which is more important than the stats.
If you want to look at stats, remind me how Louongo did in the second round

Yeah, I should have worded that better. neither goalie was great in that round, but in the end they made it through and he with them, which is more important than the stats.

I thought hockey was a team game?

Bryz and Fleury were terrible in that series. It was hilarious. The Flyers moved on in spite of their goaltending, not because of it.

That being said, I think that series was a perfect demonstration of how the Flyers system was kind of hanging him out to dry. Just looking at his stats without taking that into consideration is pretty unfair, and it seems that their media is doing the exact same thing to him that their system did.

Yep - let the media run his ass right out of town, and in to Toronto!:ban:

Goofynewfie said:
In the end Bryz got the team into the second round . There is 22 other goalies who wish they could say that. If you view anything less than a cup as failure, remember only one team wins the cup each year.

True on who wins and defining failure. The offense put them in the second round. Bryz was an on ice spectator. He made a token save occasionally, but that's about it.

Weir36betty said:
You bought your championship last year, this year the Wings return to dominating form and reclaim what is rightfully ours!!!

Doubtful. Tell me how the Wings are going to make up for those veteran holes that are being created by retirement, etc.

emjay said:

The system? Again, doubtful. Look at how the system worked over the course of the year and especially in March. It was a circus side show for both teams. Both goalies are far better than what was displayed in that series.

I won't disagree about hanging him out to dry in the series, but that certainly isn't a planned aspect of Lavy's system.

Goofynewfie said:

Yeah, again, the offense did their job better than Pittsburgh's. That's the only reason.

paulster2626 said:
Yep - let the media run his ass right out of town, and in to Toronto!:ban:

As I said, I'd like him to stay, so long as his performance is up to par for the contract and he can handle it. You think there's less pressure in Toronto?

It he's a head case over pressure and the media, rather than joking about bears, he'd be sucking his thumb in a Toronto crease.

True on who wins and defining failure. The offense put them in the second round. Bryz was an on ice spectator. He made a token save occasionally, but that's about it.

Doubtful. Tell me how the Wings are going to make up for those veteran holes that are being created by retirement, etc.

The system? Again, doubtful. Look at how the system worked over the course of the year and especially in March. It was a circus side show for both teams. Both goalies are far better than what was displayed in that series.

I won't disagree about hanging him out to dry in the series, but that certainly isn't a planned aspect of Lavy's system.

Yeah, again, the offense did their job better than Pittsburgh's. That's the only reason.

As I said, I'd like him to stay, so long as his performance is up to par for the contract and he can handle it. You think there's less pressure in Toronto?

It he's a head case over pressure and the media, rather than joking about bears, he'd be sucking his thumb in a Toronto crease.

I think the pressure in Philly and Toronto is the same. But in Toronto, simply getting the team in to the playoffs would vault him in to God-Status. Same pressure, lower expectations. Perfect place for our favourite NHL cosmonaut!

paulster2626 said:
I think the pressure in Philly and Toronto is the same. But in Toronto, simply getting the team in to the playoffs would vault him in to God-Status. Same pressure, lower expectations. Perfect place for our favourite NHL cosmonaut!

I don't know. Toronto had had a longer Cup drought and look what they did with Burke...seemed someone, him or the board, wasn't willing to burn it to the ground to rebuild and win sooner than try to force it for a win now approach. Not even making the playoffs is an obvious display of complete failure in those attempts.

I don't know. Toronto had had a longer Cup drought and look what they did with Burke...seemed someone, him or the board, wasn't willing to burn it to the ground to rebuild and win sooner than try to force it for a win now approach. Not even making the playoffs is an obvious display of complete failure in those attempts.

Burke was fired because the new board dudes simply didn't like him. If you're going to fire Burke based on his GM abilities, you don't hire Dave Nonis. They are of the same ilk. That same board has also come out and said that there is no pressure on Dave Nonis to win-now. He has the permission to continue to build the team slowly and properly. I'm betting this will be evidenced by Nonis not taking on either of those ridiculous goalie contracts.

I'm not sure where you think pressure comes from - ownership and team staff want to win every game. There is maximum pressure from them all the time, on every team. Pressure from fans and the media is the only real variable from team to team, and in Toronto right now a team who made the first round would still be considered a success.

So, I am testing out our new smart TV in the bedroom and I pull in Goons on Netflix.

Fme but that's a great hockey movie! Bloody, violent mess with the F bomb probably every 3rd or 4th word.

And yet it still had heart.

And based on a true story!

Plus it had a cute girl. I can't recall her name, but she was also in Scott Pilgrim as the drummer in the Sexbabombs.

It really makes me eager for the NHL to start back up again. I loved Liev Schreiber's role as the enforcer on his way out. He nailed that part. Oscar Nomination?

Hahah Carlo Colaiacovo is already injured and training camp hasn't even started yet. Red Wings fans better get used to this.

2012/02/22 Missed 3 games (sprained right wrist).
2011/12/06 Missed 8 games (lower body injury).
2011/10/21 Missed 5 games (upper body injury).
2011/03/24 Missed 1 game (illness).
2011/02/11 Missed 7 games (eye injury).
2011/01/18 Missed 2 games (facial injury).
2010/11/15 Missed 7 games (upper body injury).
2010/02/03 Missed 5 games (lower body injury).
2009/12/03 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
2009/11/07 Missed 4 games (flu and upper body injury).
2008/11/26 Missed 2 games (left ankle injury).
2008/04/05 Missed the last 8 games of the regular season (groin).
2008/01/29 Missed 9 games (right knee injury).
2007/12/27 Missed 37 games (knee injury).
2007/04/05 Missed 1 game (leg injury).
2007/01/01 Missed 1 game (headache).
2006/12/12 Missed 3 games (head injury).
2006/10/20 Missed 7 games (headache) and assigned to Toronto (AHL).
2006/04/18 Missed the last 34 games of the regular season (concussion).
2006/01/10 Missed 5 games (wrist injury).

Hahah Carlo Colaiacovo is already injured and training camp hasn't even started yet. Red Wings fans better get used to this.

Thank for this info, I've never heard of him and didn't notice his name on the roster. I hope he's a good bench warmer.

Bruins are home playing the Rangers on the 19th.. Jesus, I can't wait for hockey..There's nothing to do between football games.. Go Bruins!!!!

contemplating picking up some tickets and making the drive up to boston... i've been waiting for this for too long :ban:

Back