Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homercidal said:
I tried convincing the wife to go to the Griffins on Friday. We could have stopped there on the way down to her mom's house to stay the night then a 15 minutes drive to the kid's dorm for the football game on Sat.

Ken and Mickey will be calling the game on Friday, and FSD will be showing the game.

Griffins are just about as cheap as Ferris tickets and they have the beer and everything. It's actually a HELL of a deal over NHL prices.
Yeah we have a Michigan tech thing coming up soon so it is a good excuse to go to a game.

the closest minor league hockey to me is 2 hours away. I might as well go to DC and see the Caps....oh wait....

Now that the world series is over, this lockout is really starting to bother me. I really hope someone starts broadcasting English language KHL games.

Went to an MTU Huskies game against the Gophers last week. It was good to finally see some hockey. Both teams played well, but I still miss watching the pros. No beer at the Tech arena, either.

I think Tech's last home games are this weekend - might have to go see another game.

I'm having serious withdrawal here.

Now that the world series is over, this lockout is really starting to bother me. I really hope someone starts broadcasting English language KHL games.

No you don't. The KHL is terrible beer-league hockey. It's honestly garbage.

You want under-19 hockey, or college or even AHL. Problem is you say you're in Honduras so I don't know how you'd just walk out and see a game.

Went to an MTU Huskies game against the Gophers last week. It was good to finally see some hockey. Both teams played well, but I still miss watching the pros. No beer at the Tech arena, either.

I think Tech's last home games are this weekend - might have to go see another game.

I'm having serious withdrawal here.

Is Tech's team finally worth watching? A few years ago it wasn't even fun to watch them since they always lost. (Only won 7? games that year)

Is Tech's team finally worth watching? A few years ago it wasn't even fun to watch them since they always lost. (Only won 7? games that year)

I don't know their record this year since I honestly haven't been following them that closely. They have beat some high ranked teams (Gophers included). When I saw them, they set up some great plays, but only capitalized on about 1/4 of them. IMO, they need to work on passing. Solid goaltending, though.

So, yes, worth watching, but expect some slop (especially in the 3rd).

Dropped in at my local watering hole an the way home from work. NHL Network was broadcasting a "classic" playoff game from a couple years back.

It was torture.

Last year for the CCHA. Gotta see as many as I can! (At least that is what I tell the wife...)

Had a good laugh past weekend. Ferris was playing Alaska Fairbanks. The team buss from Alaska had "LAMERS" in huge letters on the sides and front. I'm not kidding.

Something new this year I didn't notice before. When they announce the opposing team lineup the crowd shouts, "WHO CARES?" But when they announce the opponent is back to full strength it seems they stopped shouting, "And they still suck!" I felt stupid when I was the only one doing it.

paulster2626 said:
No you don't. The KHL is terrible beer-league hockey. It's honestly garbage.

You want under-19 hockey, or college or even AHL. Problem is you say you're in Honduras so I don't know how you'd just walk out and see a game.

Yeah, and now I'm even further from a game. KHL is my only hope of seeing some hockey. I wouldn't mind watching Datsyuk or Malkin tear up some Russian ice.

Come on, this was fun to watch from 2 years ago:

Seriously though, I think Pearson's the real deal. He was waiting to take the reins at Mich, but Red will still be coaching long after I'm gone. I predict the Dogs steal 2 from Bye this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a79Ej7WK5Q

Seriously though, I think Pearson's the real deal. He was waiting to take the reins at Mich, but Red will still be coaching long after I'm gone. I predict the Dogs steal 2 from Bye this weekend.

That's so wrong.

Trying to go to both Ferris games this weekend. Looks like I got the green light from the devil on my shoulder, AKA the wife. Cheaper than spending $30 for a single ticket to the Central/Western football game she is going to.

Shouldn't be long before we hear if the NHL is going to cancel the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor this year as they progress toward canceling the remainder of the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a79Ej7WK5Q

Last game I went to was in the '08/'09 season. That same thing happened more often than it ever should. Half ice shots with <10 seconds in periods would go in. We got free tickets to the games and it still wasn't worth the effort after awhile.

Edit: And looking at Wikipedia, my last year up there they were a fantastic 6-25-7

Tech was 11-13-4 under Pearson last year, after winning TWO games the year before. I see them battling for home ice again this year. tUMD will be in a similar camp I'm afraid.

I can predict my Dogs will get more wins than the Wild however, since the NHL won't play. Are the two sides talking yet? You'd think there would be talks as the players are starting to miss paychecks now.

I'm really itching to go to a game, I feel so sad without my hockey. And my brother kind of broke my heart regarding Ferris State Hockey. He invited me to sit in the press booth with him during a Saturday game, he's in the TV Production program and was filming the games. The game the night before, he was working with another student and I guess he had someone else with them and the college Athletic Director (he was Vice Principal at my high school, a real dick) told them there were too many people and that they only could have one student filming from then on (which is kind of dumb because they weren't being disrespectful [according to my brother] and the journalism students work in groups of 5 updating facebook and twitter and whatnot). So I couldn't go sit in the press booth and then my brother goes on to mention that the Friday games are always great and then they'll lose Saturday games for some reason.

Anyone getting pumped about the World Juniors? Not quite sure how the broadcasts are going to work, Ufe is on the other side of the world, 12 hours off. Not bad for an 8pm start, but a 3pm game? I may have to get up awful early Dec. 26th...

I'd love to be cheering on the Jets 2.0. 'Til then, it's WHL games and thank god for the CFL.

Go Jets Go...errr, Go IceCaps?

I'd love to see the Griffins to fill in the void, but it's just not working out so far. Maybe after Football season I can talk the wife into going. Until then we have to see my daughter marching at Western and this leaves little time for hockey on those weekends.

Daughter finds out on Tuesday if she made the pep band for hockey. If so, then I'll be seeing a few Bronco Hockey games at least.

I heard the NHL and Players didn't spend much time talking last time they got together. Still sound like the owners aren't budging on some key things. But I heard they are going to continue to get back together and keep talking. I think the NHLPA has to get with some of the players and see how they feel about the current state of discussions.

It's frustrating that they can't work it out, but at least they are still talking. I have a feeling that Buttman promised the owners a certain amount of concessions from the players and it hasn't happened yet.

Anyone getting pumped about the World Juniors? Not quite sure how the broadcasts are going to work, Ufe is on the other side of the world, 12 hours off. Not bad for an 8pm start, but a 3pm game? I may have to get up awful early Dec. 26th...

I'd love to be cheering on the Jets 2.0. 'Til then, it's WHL games and thank god for the CFL.

Go Jets Go...errr, Go IceCaps?

Best hockey we'll see all year potentially, so yeah definitely pumped up for it.

Tourney starts on the 26th though, and I'm off for the 7 days following it, so I can handle the time changes. Going to get some weird looks when I start drinking at 7am. But hey, 'tis the season!

Went to a Ducks function last night hosted for their suite holders at a gastropub. My buddy's company has a suite and he had an extra invite, lucky me. The coaching staff was there, the broadcast crew, some of the execs, and the marketing staff.

Bruce Boudreau gave a brief talk. He was pretty damned funny. He basically said he was as PO'd as anyone else about the lockout then went into a tirade that had the place in an uproar.

However, the highlight of the evening was...
Pliny the Elder. On tap. All night. Open bar.

Hockey will be back in effect next Friday. Don't you all worry. They will give us something to be thankful for.

:ban:

Breaking news! Gary Bettman dies in a flaming car wreck!

Oh, I'm sorry. That was just me daydreaming again.

Really though? So lets say Bettman does in fact die today.

You've still got Donald "no linkage" Fehr dealing with 30 owners. Nothing changes, except all the hate that Bettman absorbs is instead distributed elsewhere.

EVERYONE has their head up their ass in this thing. There is zero trust on both sides, and thus the resistance to extend an olive branch from one side to the other. Bettman's not the problem.

Really though? So lets say Bettman does in fact die today.

You've still got Donald "no linkage" Fehr dealing with 30 owners. Nothing changes, except all the hate that Bettman absorbs is instead distributed elsewhere.

EVERYONE has their head up their ass in this thing. There is zero trust on both sides, and thus the resistance to extend an olive branch from one side to the other. Bettman's not the problem.

No. Most of the 30 some owners are not participating in the negotiations. They are content to sit back and see how much the others can wrangle from the union. They would actually prefer to get a deal done and play hockey. It's the few losers who can't make money in the most profitable period in hockey history who are holding out for pocket change. The ones who signed some huge contracts right before the lockout, never actually planning on paying them out.

If not for those few, we would have hockey. And Bettman doesn't want to concede that there may be a couple of markets where hockey shouldn't be, or that ownership isn't savvy enough to turn a profit in those markets.

After all those years of expansion, he would look like a fool if they have to contract the league to clean out a couple of losing clubs.

We'll see what federal mediators can do to help move the process along. Although they can't make anything binding on their own, perhaps they can discover exactly what is holding up the process and figure out an agreement that both sides will be willing to sign.

homercidal said:
no. Most of the 30 some owners are not participating in the negotiations. They are content to sit back and see how much the others can wrangle from the union. They would actually prefer to get a deal done and play hockey. It's the few losers who can't make money in the most profitable period in hockey history who are holding out for pocket change. The ones who signed some huge contracts right before the lockout, never actually planning on paying them out.

If not for those few, we would have hockey. And bettman doesn't want to concede that there may be a couple of markets where hockey shouldn't be, or that ownership isn't savvy enough to turn a profit in those markets.

After all those years of expansion, he would look like a fool if they have to contract the league to clean out a couple of losing clubs.

We'll see what federal mediators can do to help move the process along. Although they can't make anything binding on their own, perhaps they can discover exactly what is holding up the process and figure out an agreement that both sides will be willing to sign.

+1

No. Most of the 30 some owners are not participating in the negotiations. They are content to sit back and see how much the others can wrangle from the union. They would actually prefer to get a deal done and play hockey. It's the few losers who can't make money in the most profitable period in hockey history who are holding out for pocket change. The ones who signed some huge contracts right before the lockout, never actually planning on paying them out.

If not for those few, we would have hockey. And Bettman doesn't want to concede that there may be a couple of markets where hockey shouldn't be, or that ownership isn't savvy enough to turn a profit in those markets.

How do you know what the owners are doing? You talking to them? All I know is that they've had Gary Bettman representing them for 20 years - doesn't seem like they're too upset with what he's done.

As soon as I heard federal mediators, my heart sank - this is not good news. They used mediators in 2004 and it went nowhere. In fact, mediators have never worked for any of the previous labour negotiations in any major sport.

The NHL can kiss my ass - I'm totally over this whole thing now. Yeah, if hockey starts I'll come back and watch, but really I'm fine with a lost season at this point. Owners, players, agents, they all just piss me off now.

The NHL can kiss my ass - I'm totally over this whole thing now. Yeah, if hockey starts I'll come back and watch, but really I'm fine with a lost season at this point. Owners, players, agents, they all just piss me off now.

Agreed, at this point, i'd prefer them to just cancel the season because any hockey games played at whatever point they 'agree' would be for nothing more than self serving purposes and an attempt to begin wringing money from our hands again. It's so disappointing.

Who wants to win the 'cup' in a bull**** lockout shortened season ... i know it wouldn't be the same to me if the Flyers were the team to end up winning it.

How do you know what the owners are doing? You talking to them? All I know is that they've had Gary Bettman representing them for 20 years - doesn't seem like they're too upset with what he's done.

As soon as I heard federal mediators, my heart sank - this is not good news. They used mediators in 2004 and it went nowhere. In fact, mediators have never worked for any of the previous labour negotiations in any major sport.

Ah well, if you are a leafs fan, you aren't missing anything anyway.

Oh please. Continued spells of hope followed by painful disappointment is addictive. Why? I don't know.

Just because I want the Leafs to win doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching other NHL games. I'd love to see a good old fashioned Bruins/Habs tilt right about now.

This blows... I'm usually watching a Bruins game right now. If the Feds can't help these pricks, not sure who can...Unfortunately, I think the season is lost. I hope I'm wrong.

Back