Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryzgalov and Gustavsson saved the day for both teams tonight, especially the Flyers. I think Philly fell asleep for most of the third period and OT. I was hoping for a different outcome, but Giroux's shootout goal was unreal.

jtkratzer said:
How bout them Flyers? 5 in a row and 3 shutouts in the last 4 games. I think we've all been hustled by Bryzgalov.

1 shootout goal.

Against the Leafs.

LOL

emjay said:
1 shootout goal.

Against the Leafs.

LOL

The goaltending is what I'm pumped about. What other team has 3 shutouts in 4 games this year? Let alone after how average he had been playing, and then switched it on as we're heading into the playoffs.

If you've watched the Flyers since the induction of the shootout, which obviously you haven't, they hardly ever win them, and now they've won a few in a row and Bryz stopped all the shooters. There were shootouts earlier in the year where he didn't make a single save.

Being a Flyers fan and having them finally sign a quality goaltender, and to see him play like he has, it's definitely something to get pumped about.

Remember, the Flyers didn't have a shutout the entire 2010-2011 season. They've had 3 in the last 4 games. It's all about perspective.

Oh, and the rest of us will continue to LOL as the steak of years the Leafs are absent from the playoffs increases by another year after they had a wicked start and then nose dived like rarely seen outside of Toronto.

f-in buffalo. I think I like them only one small step above the leafs. Definately my second most hated team.

grrr.

EDIT: Oh, and Vancouver is up there too. But that's only because they're whiny girls. Once they turn over most of they're players, I won't hate them quite as much.

The goaltending is what I'm pumped about. What other team has 3 shutouts in 4 games this year? Let alone after how average he had been playing, and then switched it on as we're heading into the playoffs.

If you've watched the Flyers since the induction of the shootout, which obviously you haven't, they hardly ever win them, and now they've won a few in a row and Bryz stopped all the shooters. There were shootouts earlier in the year where he didn't make a single save.

Being a Flyers fan and having them finally sign a quality goaltender, and to see him play like he has, it's definitely something to get pumped about.

Remember, the Flyers didn't have a shutout the entire 2010-2011 season. They've had 3 in the last 4 games. It's all about perspective.

Oh, and the rest of us will continue to LOL as the steak of years the Leafs are absent from the playoffs increases by another year after they had a wicked start and then nose dived like rarely seen outside of Toronto.

Continue to laugh all you wish, that doesn't change that the Flyers were outshot and outworked by the Leafs. If you can't handle the Leafs, how are you going to deal with Boston or NY in the playoffs? Bryzgalov is on a hot streak, but all hot streaks come to an end.

Continue to laugh all you wish, that doesn't change that the Flyers were outshot and outworked by the Leafs. If you can't handle the Leafs, how are you going to deal with Boston or NY in the playoffs? Bryzgalov is on a hot streak, but all hot streaks come to an end.

Both teams had periods of control in the game, Flyers didn't get a single power play in the game, that helps the Leafs out in shots.

The Rangers are on a streak and like you said, they come to an end. I'm just happy to see how well the Flyers are playing lately considering the number of Phantoms and rookies on the roster right now. They may not go far in the playoffs this year, but the Flyers are looking solid for several years to come.

Flyers got out worked, they're not nearly as impressive as they should be. On a side note the Blues and Blackhawk game today...Not that he looked terrible today and at home hes played well...But HOW HOW HOW is Emery STILL in the NHL?

Flyers got out worked, they're not nearly as impressive as they should be. On a side note the Blues and Blackhawk game today...Not that he looked terrible today and at home hes played well...But HOW HOW HOW is Emery STILL in the NHL?

I was wondering that exact same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Put it this way, I guess i'll speak for myself and not all Flyers fans ... but i have not and do not expect this team to challenge for or win the cup this year.

1. The Flyers are making the playoffs ... same as they do every year, they ice a competenet, exciting team to watch and consistently make the playoffs year in year out, save for the year that shall not be named.

2. The Flyers had 9 players that played in the playoffs for them last year leave, became a drastically younger team, have iced 13 rookie skaters all year, while losing their Captain and having to re-set their D-core ..
and currently sit as the 2nd best offensive team in the league, while continually working on their defensive game.

3. The Flyers now have a legitimate goaltender who, at times this year, has played beyond atrocious, but has also shown why he was brought in.
THe biggest mistake the Flyers made this year, was just not riding Bryz from the beginning, he's a workhorse goalie who is accustomed and ready to play 65-70 games a year, PLAY HIM.

4. Claude ****ing Giroux.

So we may not handle the B's or Rags this year, but i'll bank on 2-3 cups before G retires with Bryz backstopping them the whole way. :D

So have fun in TO with Kessel and Loopz, i'll take G, Couts, and Schenn any day.

Barnzy02 said:
Put it this way, I guess i'll speak for myself and not all Flyers fans ... but i have not and do not expect this team to challenge for or win the cup this year.

1. The Flyers are making the playoffs ... same as they do every year, they ice a competenet, exciting team to watch and consistently make the playoffs year in year out, save for the year that shall not be named.

2. The Flyers had 9 players that played in the playoffs for them last year leave, became a drastically younger team, have iced 13 rookie skaters all year, while losing their Captain and having to re-set their D-core ..
and currently sit as the 2nd best offensive team in the league, while continually working on their defensive game.

3. The Flyers now have a legitimate goaltender who, at times this year, has played beyond atrocious, but has also shown why he was brought in.
THe biggest mistake the Flyers made this year, was just not riding Bryz from the beginning, he's a workhorse goalie who is accustomed and ready to play 65-70 games a year, PLAY HIM.

4. Claude ****ing Giroux.

So we may not handle the B's or Rags this year, but i'll bank on 2-3 cups before G retires with Bryz backstopping them the whole way. :D

So have fun in TO with Kessel and Loopz, i'll take G, Couts, and Schenn any day.

I'm generally in the same boat. I just want to see the first Cup. I think the pieces are definitely coming together, but they're going to live and die, just like every other team, on goaltending. They were very average wins/losses even with the top offense in the league because of marginal goaltending. If they get the Bryz of the last two weeks, they can beat anyone in the league. If Ty don't, it's going to be 9-8 games like early in the season against Winnipeg.

1-0 shootout win against Toronto is an example of Bryz winning the game for them. There are plenty of examples of him losing games as well this year.

Their salary cap management is going to be a key piece to the puzzle over the next 3-5 years to even think about multiple Cups.

Well, right now if the standings stay as is you'll be up against the Pens, who the flyers will also not handle. :)

2-1 against them so far for the year, the one loss being pretty embarassing.

Lately though anytime the Flyers play the pens in the playoffs MAF enacts GOD Mode and we end up on the golf course.

Like i said, going into this year for the flyers was a big question mark.

Our rookies have shown up in a big way. Lead the league in GP by rookies and Goals scored by rookies. So that's always nice.

Giroux has continued to emerge as a star in the league.

Bryz = ?, but honestly, anyone that is judging a 9 year contract after 2/3 year 1, is a clown anyways. (I STILL DON'T LIKE THE CONTRACT), but i know Bryz is and can be way better than he was most of the year. The last 2-3 weeks, or really look at his stats after the all star game, show that.

and our future D is a big ? - Pronger is done, Timonen is retiring after next year and looks slow this year.

Either way, i'll be bummed if we drop in the first round for sure ... but then again, i wasn't expecting a cup this year ...

2-1 against them so far for the year, the one loss being pretty embarassing.

Lately though anytime the Flyers play the pens in the playoffs MAF enacts GOD Mode and we end up on the golf course.

Like i said, going into this year for the flyers was a big question mark.

Our rookies have shown up in a big way. Lead the league in GP by rookies and Goals scored by rookies. So that's always nice.

Giroux has continued to emerge as a star in the league.

Bryz = ?, but honestly, anyone that is judging a 9 year contract after 2/3 year 1, is a clown anyways. (I STILL DON'T LIKE THE CONTRACT), but i know Bryz is and can be way better than he was most of the year. The last 2-3 weeks, or really look at his stats after the all star game, show that.

and our future D is a big ? - Pronger is done, Timonen is retiring after next year and looks slow this year.

Either way, i'll be bummed if we drop in the first round for sure ... but then again, i wasn't expecting a cup this year ...

A Pens/Flyers series would be something to see, but brutal for either team. I' actually hoping the Pens get to play an "easier" opponent, but frankly any of the eight (maybe with the exception of Washington) are having great seasons. MAF has been playing in GOD mode over the last 9 games, and truthfully, pretty much the whole season.

Longer term, the Pen's free agent status looks "decent" for 2012. Sullivan, who they got for $1.5Mil, was an absoute steal and has helped not only to revamp their powerplay, but has been a great skater and puck handler to go along with the big shot shooters (Malkin, Neal, ...) Anyway, his 1 year contract is up. Also up is Asham and Park, but both are also relatively low cost players. Niskanen, who they got as part of the Neal deal with Dallas, has been a great help to the defense...he is a RFA. (There are also a couple others).

2013 is a bigger issue. Crosby, Staal, Cooke, Dupuis ("Duper-star"), Adams, Lovejoy are all UFA, and Kennedy a RFA. Right now Crosby's contract is $8.7 and Staal's "only" $4.0. Then in 2014 it's Malkin, Kunitz, Orpik, Letang, Enggdland. So, eventually Pittsburgh will have salary cap troubles. Hopefully we will have won another cup or two before that happens! :)

A Pens/Flyers series would be something to see, but brutal for either team. I' actually hoping the Pens get to play an "easier" opponent, but frankly any of the eight (maybe with the exception of Washington) are having great seasons. MAF has been playing in GOD mode over the last 9 games, and truthfully, pretty much the whole season.

Longer term, the Pen's free agent status looks "decent" for 2012. Sullivan, who they got for $1.5Mil, was an absoute steal and has helped not only to revamp their powerplay, but has been a great skater and puck handler to go along with the big shot shooters (Malkin, Neal, ...) Anyway, his 1 year contract is up. Also up is Asham and Park, but both are also relatively low cost players. Niskanen, who they got as part of the Neal deal with Dallas, has been a great help to the defense...he is a RFA. (There are also a couple others).

2013 is a bigger issue. Crosby, Staal, Cooke, Dupuis ("Duper-star"), Adams, Lovejoy are all UFA, and Kennedy a RFA. Right now Crosby's contract is $8.7 and Staal's "only" $4.0. Then in 2014 it's Malkin, Kunitz, Orpik, Letang, Enggdland. So, eventually Pittsburgh will have salary cap troubles. Hopefully we will have won another cup or two before that happens! :)

Yeah, the summer is going to be rough for the Pens. Does Sid take a large discount/paycut considering his health issues ?

Should be interesting to see what comes out in the new CBA, too.

All I ask is not another lockout!

Does Sid take a large discount/paycut considering his health issues ?
Interesting question, especially since the pens did not place him on LTIR even though they knew he would not be back for the season.

But, given what NYR paid for Richards, what is a reasonable number? With Crosby healthy and playing, pretty big.

I know it's mostly about the $, but players do have preferences. For instance, it was well known that Dupuis wanted to stay in Pittsburgh when his contract came up last year. I wonder how much they (or anyone for that matter) will vary in their salary demand to keep a good thing going?

Looks like we'll be having hybrid icing next season.

Hybrid icing:

renhockey:
Hybrid icing accepted (governors need to approved). Not the 2 minutes for hand pass. Refs need to be more vigilant.

SNLouisJean:
Pierre Gauthier says GM's intend to move forward w/ hybrid icing proposal however need to clear up language. #NHL

Ringette line:

mirtle:
NHL is going to ask AHL to put in ringette line to test out change to two-line pass situations.

TSNBobMcKenzie:
Ringette line is across top of defensive zone circles. Team breaking out puck can't make two line pass without crossing ringette line 1st.

TSNBobMcKenzie:
It's a modified way of putting the red line back in but still allowing for some two-line passes if team with puck possession advances it.

Alright, looks like the Rangers vacation may be over. Let's see if they can take 2 from the cains tonight.

Let's GO RaNgeRS!!!!!!!

I knew it! Bettman IS trying to make this a girl sport! Ringette line? At least call it something a little cooler, like the Ninja Line...

-OR-

...STOP F-ING WITH THE RULES OF THE GAME!!

Before you try to put in new rules like hybrid icing or the pansy line, maybe teach the referee's what the current rules are? Maybe spend the time you would use and teach them how to call a game, series, and season CONSISTENTLY!

It also bugs the crap out of me how critical everyone who watches, analyzes, and writes about the game is about the game! The NHL is the least watched of all North American pro sports, so all the analysts think they should be hyper critical and over analyze every single incident.

2 guys get hurt on an icing in a season ... OH MY GOD!! CHANGE ALL THE RULES AND THEN MAKE THE BOARDS OUT OF PILLOWS!!!

And finally, for gods sake teach the referee's that when they review a goal, a little more info could be given than "The call on the ice stands". Why does it stand? What did they see? Was it tipped with a high stick? Was the puck not fully across the line? Was there just not enough evidence? Have the referee's watch some NFL reviews and listen to the explanation afterwards, it's pretty much the way I want the NHL to handle it.

And finally (for real this time), give the coach's a challenge for goals, which I would like to see include reviewing for goalie interference.

OK. That's off my chest.

Carry on.

Thank you.

I knew it! Bettman IS trying to make this a girl sport! Ringette line? At least call it something a little cooler, like the Ninja Line...

-OR-

Before you try to put in new rules like hybrid icing or the pansy line, maybe teach the referee's what the current rules are? Maybe spend the time you would use and teach them how to call a game, series, and season CONSISTENTLY!

It also bugs the crap out of me how critical everyone who watches, analyzes, and writes about the game is about the game! The NHL is the least watched of all North American pro sports, so all the analysts think they should be hyper critical and over analyze every single incident.

2 guys get hurt on an icing in a season ... OH MY GOD!! CHANGE ALL THE RULES AND THEN MAKE THE BOARDS OUT OF PILLOWS!!!

And finally, for gods sake teach the referee's that when they review a goal, a little more info could be given than "The call on the ice stands". Why does it stand? What did they see? Was it tipped with a high stick? Was the puck not fully across the line? Was there just not enough evidence? Have the referee's watch some NFL reviews and listen to the explanation afterwards, it's pretty much the way I want the NHL to handle it.

And finally (for real this time), give the coach's a challenge for goals, which I would like to see include reviewing for goalie interference.

OK. That's off my chest.

Carry on.

Thank you.

I'm with you on most of this, but since every single goal is reviewed, what good would a coach's challenge do?

The tanning bulbs have fried his brain.

Cains vs Abels would be a great game.

-OR-

OK. That's off my chest.

Carry on.

Thank you.

I agree, except I'm in favour of hybrid icing. I've had no problem with no-touch icing in international play. I would hate to see them bring back the two-line pass rule, I can't believe it's even being considered. The game is fast and exciting right now, it certainly doesn't need to be slowed down by bringing back the red line. I don't see how it would prevent injuries like some analysts seem to think.

I would definitely like to see more consistent refereeing. The refs are human and make mistakes like anyone else, which is why I'd like to see a video referee similar to rugby, who can make crucial calls that the ref misses. For example, if a referee doesn't see goaltender interference that leads to a goal the video ref could disallow it. There's too much on the line at this point in the season to let blatantly bad or missed calls stand.

Love the two line pass as it is. What is wrong with it? Why add another criteria to a rule that works and improves the game?

I'd have to think more about hybrid icing.

Love the two line pass as it is. What is wrong with it? Why add another criteria to a rule that works and improves the game?

I'd have to think more about hybrid icing.

It's an attempt to 'slow down' the game, while keeping the two line pass in.

They feel that since the red line was taken out, the game has sped up so much so that it is becoming dangerous.

Guys moving and colliding at higher speeds = higher probability for serious injury ?

I think the 'ringette line' sounds awful and i don't want the red line back in the game either.

Last night in Chicago, the Blues played one of their shvttiest games since early in the season. Left with a point anyway.

Update: Rangers 2 wins in a row. Starting a new "streak". Ottawa, lost to Montreal today.....
Hahahahahahahahahahahahah.........

Let's GO RANgERS!!!!!

Back