Epsom Salts Walgreens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I couldn't find Epsom Salts at my brew shop but I did find some at Walgreens. It says is 100% Magnesium Sulfate.

Anyone thinks that this is not suitable ?

Well if is not, I'd have 2 lbs of high grade laxative! Hope TP is no longer a problem :)

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-epsom-salt/ID=prod6169515-product
Details
Quick view
  • A saline laxative for relief of occasional constipation

• Purpose: Saline Laxative.
  • Magnesium sulfate USP (heptahydrate) 100%/saline laxative.
  • A saline laxative for relief of occasional constipation.
  • Each Teaspoon (5 grams) Contains: Magnesium 495 mg.
  • walgreens.com.
  • Questions or comments? 1-800-925-4733.

Made in United States

100% Satisfaction guaranteed with all Walgreens products or your money back.
100% Satisfaction guaranteed with all Walgreens products or your money back.
  • Do not exceed recommended daily dosage.
  • Drink a full glass (8 ounces) of liquid with each dose.
  • May be taken as a single daily dose or in divided doses.
  • Dissolve the dose in 8 ounces of water. Lemon juice may be added to improve the taste.
  • Adults and Children 12 Years and Over: 2 to 6 level teaspoons (10 to 30 grams) daily.
  • Children 6 to Under 12 Years: 1 to 2 level teaspoons (5 to 10 grams) daily.
  • Children Under 6 Years: Consult a doctor.
© 2018 Walgreen Co.

Warnings
Ask a doctor before use if
  • you have kidney disease
  • a magnesium-restricted diet
  • abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting
  • noticed a sudden change in bowel habits that persists over a period of 2 weeks
  • already used a laxative for a period longer than 1 week.

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking any other drug. Take this product 2 or more hours before or after other drugs. Laxatives may affect how other drugs work.
Stop use and ask a doctor if you have rectal bleeding or failure to have a bowel movement after use. These could be signs of a serious condition.
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Tamper Evident Packaging: Caution: This package has been sealed for your protection. Do not use if package is open, torn or mutilated.
  • Relieves occasional constipation (irregularity) ¿
  • Generally produces bowel movements in 1/2 to 6 hours

Ingredients
Magnesium Oleth Sulfate (Saline Laxative)

if it says you should ingest it then it should be food grade.

It’s fine. As long as it’s 100% mag sulfate. I bought my bag from a local grocery store too.

Agreed. If the packaging is stating uses that include ingestion, then it's likely food-grade. The thing people need to look out for is the epsom salt is also sold as a scented soak for body and feet. You probably don't want to brew with that!!

Please be careful not to use bath salts. Then you'd make a zombie beer, faces would get eaten... That only happens in Florida.
:no:

It all looks to be fine until it got to this:
Ingredients
My emphasis in red/bold:
What's that doing in there?
Hope it's only a very, very small %.

Magnesium Oleth Sulfate is a magnesium salt derived from ethoxylated oleic alcohol.It is used as a surfactant in cosmetic products for cleaning the face and body.The concentration in cosmetic products is usually 0.1%.

It all looks to be fine until it got to this:
Ingredients
My emphasis in red/bold:
What's that doing in there?
Hope it's only a very, very small %.

Magnesium Oleth Sulfate is a magnesium salt derived from ethoxylated oleic alcohol.It is used as a surfactant in cosmetic products for cleaning the face and body.The concentration in cosmetic products is usually 0.1%.

As long as it's unscented, pure magnesium sulfate, then you're fine. I picked up what realistically amounts to a lifetime supply of the stuff for a few bucks at CVS when I started playing with water chemistry.

I've used simple drug store epsom in my beer, and even as a laxative. It works for both. ;)

And.... I'll also say, these days I rarely add any epsom to my beer, since magnesium tastes nasty, and it is too easy to use a little too much. Recommend just using gypsum for all your sulfate needs.

I wouldn't use it but I cannot explain why one should or shouldn't.

Magnesium oleth sulfate is C40H78MgO10S2

Epsom Salt is MgSO4·7H2O and is what Martin B's Brunwater calculator uses.

I don't know what effect C40H78MgO10S2 would have on a recipe vs. MgSO4·7H2O.

I wouldn't use it...

Latest posts

Back