Epically bad bottling day. Do cappers wear out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had an epic bottling day today all because my capper was giving me all kinds of grief. Let me go ahead and say that kegging is not an option, so let's just skip that whole conversation.

I have the basic wing style capper that comes in most of the starter kits and have used it with no issues for 7 previous 5 gallon batches. I was using the same 12 oz bottles I've always used and the same batch of caps that I've had for a while and never had any issues with before.

The problem was that on nearly every bottle in the batch the capper would start out fine, sitting nice and flat and square, but as soon as the Jaws started to engage on the bottle and the collar started to crimp the cap, the whole capper would slip and get all cocked to one side or another. I'd have to stop, open the Jaws a little, and start again. Usually I'd have to do this 3-4 times on each bottle before I'd finally get the cap to close. It was awful. I've never had a problem like this before. I tried a couple different working positions using the capper, thinking maybe it was just the position I was working in or something. But nothing seemed to help.

Nothing on the capper looks broken or out of place, though the collar insert that actually crimps the Caps does have a slight amount of wear marks on it. But nothing severe enough that I think would cause the problems I was having today. Is it just worn out and in need of replacement, or an I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

My wing capper started doing the same thing . I dont bottle much but I went a head and got a bench capper. I should have done that long ago.

I've had that happen, as well, and I have found that the capper "cup," which is screwed on, has started to come loose. Make certain that the cup is screwed in tightly, so it will not "cock" on the cap.

glenn514:mug:

Another vote for a basic bench capper. I even bought mine after I went to kegging for the random times I wanted to bottle, and I'm glad I did. Way back when I bottled everything, I was brewing with a friend, and he was the one capping. He canted the wing style one just a bit, snapped the neck of the bottle, which in turn impaled his hand and it bled freely.

I don't use my bench capper all that often, but every time I do, I am definitely happy that I have it and am not using a wing style capper!

I have one of the Super Agata bench cappers. When I first got it, I was enthralled.

Lately, I've gone back to using the winged capper. I don't think it's materially slower, and I have a better feel for when the cap is properly crimped.

Two years ago, I'd have bet you $100 I would never make the comment above.

Latest posts

Back