Epic Whisk Failure...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRock

Reaction score
So I got the green light from my wife to brew up some beer. I busted down to the local brew shop and picked up everything I'd need for my first kit. I picked up a great looking IPA recipe with some specialty grains, Warrior bittering hops and two ounces of Citra finishing hops.

We set everything up and went to town. The wort seemed to turn out perfect! I cleaned and sanitized everything. We moved the wort to a tub with ice and used a wort chiller which worked great and cooled the wort to 80* in just over 10 minutes.

I then carefully poured the wort through my sanitized sieve into the primary fermenter, added about a half gallon of additional boiled water to top it off and grabbed my the new whisk I got at the shop. Everything was simply spot on at this point.

I proceed to whisk the hell out of the batch. It was great! I could see the bubbles getting whisked in. I pulled it out then said, "how much do you think I should whisk it?" So I whip it up a bit more and just as I'm pulling the whisk out the end literally fell off from the handle...

So the end falls into the primary fermenter and all over the top of the foam is a half spiral of what looks like sand, dust, fibers and plastic. The handle was apparently filled with this material for weight and fell into my once pristine batch of beer just one step from pitching the yeast and capping the lid. The handle was nearly empty and the end of the whisk was at the bottom of my fermenter. We quickly sanitized some tongs and the spoon again. I scraped off the sand from the foam and we pulled out the whisk end.

Problem is there is at least a tablespoon or two of this sandy crap sitting at the bottom of the fermenter and you can see some of those particulates in suspension throughout the liquid. We also had to use paper towels to wipe the inside of the once sanitized container, not to mention scraping most of the foam off the top. It was horrible. My wife literally almost started crying when she saw it happen.

Now the brew shop was awesome over the phone. They said they'll probably give me a new recipe and whisk, I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were on it. I also pulled a sample and decided to put the wine thief on the bottom of the fermenter when I pulled it, which it did indeed pull up a ridiculous amount of that same junk from the whisk.

I think I'm going to toss the batch, suck it up, and just brew another one tonight after the kids go to bed. I just can't imagine the batch will be ok after that. Even if it doesn't grow some mutant bacterial strain I'm going to be looking for small white plastic particles in every bottle of beer I drink from it...

I wouldn't be so quick to dump it, if you pitch the yeast and it takes off quickly it will prevent any kind of infection.

What a bummer! On your first brew too!

I almost always say "well if it were me I'd drink it" and indeed have drunk great beer in similar random-stuff-fell-in situations and lived to have even worse hangovers, but leaning towards "dump it." Sounds like it would be difficult to discover exactly what went in to the filling at whatever Chinese production facility made the thing, and if you're like me, your first brew will be fraught with quite enough worry and obsession that you don't need that on top of it! Take the replacement kit and get back on the horse!

Personally I would ditch the whisk idea altogether and aerate by shaking the half full carboy vigorously before topping off... Of, better, if you have one of those little vinturi wine pour-through aerators, sanitize, put it in your strainer, and siphon through that - works great for me!

I wouldn't be so quick to dump it, if you pitch the yeast and it takes off quickly it will prevent any kind of infection.

Yah, that's what my buddy said. I'm going to take the whisk and a bunch of the material into the brew shop later today. If it were just the sandy material I wouldn't worry as much, but there are also small pieces of what appear to be plastic, even hair... The handle also had a white goopy glue that started to partially dissolve in the beer. You can see it floating all throughout the sample too.

Simply a mess. Right now the beer is sitting in my basement bubbling away at 68.9*. So it looks pretty happy. Even if I dump it I think I can nail another batch just the same. We still can't believe the handle of the whisk was filled with loose junk like that!?!

Well... The guys at Bob's Homebrew Supply are awesome guys. They absolutely didn't like the junk that fell in there and felt horrible it happened on a whisk I bought from them. They refunded me my cash on the whisk and loaded me up with a new recipe. So brew day #2 is Sunday. I think this next first batch will be called the "No Whisk IPA"... ;)

Bad luck for a first batch, but I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts your first disaster batch will be delicious and you've successfully conned another LHBS out of a free kit ;)

if your pouring your wort through a strainer and allowing it to splash into the bucket you'll have plenty of air in the wort.

I tossed the first batch. In the bottom of the fermenter was about 3 tablespoons of the wisk handle junk. I found sand, glass, glue, hair, fibers, plastic and even pulled out some metal shavings with a magnet. It was nasty.

Batch #2 went great! No wisk this time. No junk in the beer, just wort and yeast with some really nice warrior and citra hops.

Back