Entry Level Controller Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I am looking at these 3 controllers, can anyone comment on which one I should get? I plan to do Kettle-Rims or Herms with one element and sanke keggles. The auber is the cheapest at $475, the High Gravity ~$550 w/ two pump controls and the SS Brewtech $599. All have dual modes - mash and boil. The auber and high gravity seem to have the same Auber EZ-Boil pid, but the high gravity seems more customizable. The Brewtech uses an Omron PID which I've never heard of, and is the coolest looking to me but maybe unproven?

Auber Cube 2
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=770

High Gravity EBC 130
https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Brewery-Controller-Electric-Wort-Hog-EBC-130-272p5041.htm

SS Brewtech eController 1V
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ebrewing/products/econtroller-1v

Last edited:
Just an FYI, you linked to the Auber CUBE 1. There is a newer version with a newer EZBoil (DSPR320) called the CUBE 2 that has some additional functionality that the CUBE 1 doesn't have. They are the same price through the end of the day. After that, the CUBE 2 will be $475, at least until there's another sale.

I have the CUBE 1 and like it but I've only done a few brews on it. I don't have any experience with the other 2 controllers. What drew me to the CUBE was the tabletop design with all the plugs in the back. I brew on a SS bench and I didn't want a wall mounted unit that I'd have to reach for.

Also, the CUBE requires a 4-prong power outlet while the SSBrewTech requires a 3-prong outlet. The Wort Hog looks like you can pick which power cable type you want. So if you already have 240V wiring installed, that may swing you one way or the other.

Also, the CUBE requires a 4-prong power outlet while the SSBrewTech requires a 3-prong outlet. The Wort Hog looks like you can pick which power cable type you want. So if you already have 240V wiring installed, that may swing you one way or the other.
Looks like the SSBrewTech adds a second power input cord to eliminate the need for a 4 wire 240V power input.
A7R9985_2000x.jpg

No matter which you choose, you will need to arrange for GFCI protection on the power source. An existing plug is unlikely to have GFCI protection, and then you are looking at modifying structure wiring, or adding in-line GFCI protection. A GFCI can be placed between the power outlet and controller using a spa panel. This would work for a three wire outlet and the SSBrewTech, or a four wire outlet and any of the controllers. A spa panel can be wired to convert a three wire outlet to a four wire GFCI protected outlet, but this solution does not comply with electrical codes.

Brew on :mug:

All of them are very similar. Take one which looks better for you. Or the cheapest one.

Thanks I was hoping for some personal experience or opinions on dealing with manufacturers, warranty, etc. But I think you're right they all seem like real reputable companies and probably can't go wrong with any of them. I would just get the Auber for price but I think I want a wall mount.

or build your own to your specs and pay about half of the cost of the cheapest one if thats an option you would consider as well...

I don't really have the know how which makes these plug and play systems attractive.

Under stood just throwing it out there.. I didnt even know what a pid was before building my first panel but im fairly handy and it was still intimidating so..

Back