enough remaining yeast for carbonatation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cristal

Reaction score
First of all thank you very much for your contributions!. I have little experience in home brewing, I have brewed 5 batches of 30 L and I am very happy because our beer it is really very good.

Right now I am dealing with two batches (30 L each) of a lager beer according to a Pilsner style. One batch is under second fermentation during three weeks, measured OG from today 1013, beer is very clear and I taste very good, it is dry and not sweet at all.

Second batch is in its 6th day of primary fermentation.

In both cases : Fermentis® Saflager W-34/70 dry yeast

1st. question (secondary fermentation), after this period of lagering how do I assure that the remaining yeast is enough for subsequent carbonatation in bottles. It could be a reason for a pour carbonatation after 3-4 weeks in bottles?. Is there any test or trick used in homebrewing to control the remaining yeast in the beer?. Shall I try Krausen addition using some of the young beer I have in primary (same receipt, same yeast)?

2. nd question (primary fermentation). According to many of yours opinions, the primary fermentation for tree-four weeks works very well without any need for secondary. In such a case, shall I proceed in the same way as with secondary fermentation, lowering temperature to 3-4 C after reaching target OG and letting for additional 3-4 weeks for laguering?.

Primary: laguer/ Pilsener
Secondary: laguer/ Pilsener
Bottled: IPA

Your beer contains billions and billions of yeast cells. Highly unlikely you would need to worry about carbonation.

Regular gravity beer needs aprox. 1-3M cells/ml of beer for proper carbonation in bottles. That number climbs up to 5M/ml for high gravity but even then it shouldn't be a problem if you know that you pitched with 0.75-1.5 M/ml/°P (depend whether it is ale or lager).

Thank you very much, if I understand well , even when the beer has been under a cold rest for 3 weeks at 3C, no all the yeast precipitates . ...there is enough of yeast that remain suspending in the beer that would provide proper carbonatation..is that correct?

Thats my understanding of it, yes. There should be plenty of yeast left after just 3 weeks of lagering.

Thats my understanding of it, yes. There should be plenty of yeast left after just 3 weeks of lagering.

I am still wondering why my last batch of laguer yields pour carbonatation in bottels after 2 months of lagering at 8- 9 ºC.

I have read some information about Krausen addition in order to assure good carbonatation, specially in laguer brewing, I would appreciate any experience to share about that...Thank you in advance!!!

On occasion I will add about 3g of dry yeast to my bottling bucket for lagers that have gone 2+ months in cold aging...and it works great.

Thank you very much.... just to try all possibilities I have divided my batch in three parts...10 L I have bottled in the usual way (priming with dextrosa), 10 L I bottled using 10 % of beer under initial fermentation (Krauzen addition) and 10 L I poured into the keg under saturation pressure of CO2 (14 psi ) at 3-4 ºC for 1-2 weeks..I will see the results and I will report the results for comparation...

I always do 4 weeks primary, rack to a bottling bucket over priming solution and bottle. It is inevitable that a little trub/yeast will rack over. That plus what is in solution already is more than enough to carb. I have never had a batch fail.

I always do 4 weeks primary, rack to a bottling bucket over priming solution and bottle. It is inevitable that a little trub/yeast will rack over. That plus what is in solution already is more than enough to carb. I have never had a batch fail.

The point is that I do primary and second fermentation, when I reach to OG about 1.012 I transfer to a second fermentater, then most of the sediment is remaining in the firth fermenteter...after four weeks of cold lagering 3-4 ªC my beer is completly transparent...when transfering to the bottles there is not any visible suspention...after a couple of months at 12-15 ºC in bottles the beer is good and transparent but I pour carbonatated..may be it is the correct way and I just only to be patient and wait for one month more??...

By the other hand, when doing only primary fermentation there is more chance to take some yeast with the beer as you say ....I dont know...I will try only primary fermentation concept with my last batch of lager to see the diferences.....thank you very much for replay...

Back