Enough Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrewcrew

Reaction score
I just made the Northern Brewer's Chocolate Milk Stout Extract kit. Well, just bottled it. I should've asked before, but didn't think. The kit came with 5oz priming sugar, but the directions with the kit said to use 2/3 cup of priming sugar so that's what I used. Is that right? Or did I not use enough sugar and going to have flat beer?

I am a newbie here, have my 2nd beer in the bucket. 2/3 worked for me on my first beer on 5 gallons. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I just assumed it would be since that's what the directions called for. I just wanted to make sure since everything else seems to say use the whole 5 oz.

One way or the other, you'll be fine. It'll carb up. Be sure to allow it at least 2 weeks. Although, I find it tastes best if you give it 4 weeks.

5oz for a five gallon batch is a lot, the kits I do only use 4oz for 5 gallons and they carb up too much in my opinion.
Just keep the bottles at room temperature for 2 weeks and you should be good

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

4oz of priming sugar is typically what I use.

2/3 cup is an approximation, but eventually you will want to get a scale so you can be more accurate. 2/3 cup of sugar is going to be a different mass depending on how tightly it is packed in your measuring cup. A scale would help you ensure consistency. I think I got mine at wally world for like 10 bucks and I use it for a lot of things.

I got mine at Super Walmart for 20 bucks a couple years ago. Real handy for bulk priming to style,weighing hops & grains,etc.

Back