Enough O2 injected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
So months after I built all the needed equipment to go AG, I finally got around to using it. I decided to go big, and did my first big beer (OG 1.080 at 59 deg F). I forgot to get O2 for my nifty stone, and so I shook it for a few min. Then I pitched one packet of safeale us-05 (I'm not so sure I wrote safale right). Nothing really happened (slight bubble every few min) so I got a can of O2 and blasted for 30 sec. as per the directions. Then I started reading and writing about it here- and found that many people blast for 2 whole min- and even longer if you have a bigger beer. But also that they are doing so on specific time tables- (12 hours after pitching, etc)
I'm curious (But not anxious) to know a few things.......
1. Would Two packets of dry yeast have been better? I have had Loads of success with them before- just as much as when I make big starters....
2. Is pumping in some more O2 for the yeast at This period of time (damn near 30 hours since pitched, and it's been going Nuts since I put in 20 seconds of Od at 24 hours past yeast pitching) a good idea? I read either here or on the white labs site that bigger beers will benefit from two blasts- but not one of them is so late after initial pitching....

I think next time I go big, I'm going to make a starter anyway- a big one- and do the two step O2 schedule......

Oops! forgot to mention- the initial O2 blasting was 24 hours post pitching! That is when I had lethargic and barely noticeable airlock' action.

If it were me, I would take a gravity reading and use that to determine if more o2 would help. If you still a long way to go then I would say o2 will not hurt you, just be careful not to contaminate your batch in the process, sanitize everything.

If you shook the beer for a few minutes like you said it should be enough o2, Although I would have went with 2 packets of us-05 and made a starter with it. Agreed, take a gravity reading, sanitize everything, i would forget about the o2 and RDWHAHB

Instead of making a starter with dry yeast, I would pitch pitch extra packets. Making starters from dry is doing yourself a disservice. Dry yeast is at optimum lifestage for pitching. Making a starter while increasing cell count moves it out of its vigorous growth stage. (I can't remember the correct terminology for this)

Back