English Pale Ale (Cisco Whale's Tale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbigda

Reaction score
I'm about to create a recipe for an English Pale/English IPA, and it's not a style I've ever done before so figured I'd post on here for feedback.

I'm aiming for a beer that is similar to Cisco's Whale Tale Pale Ale that is fairly popular in southeast MA. There is an 8 year old unanswered thread looking for a recipe here. As far as I can tell, there is little to no information online for this recipe. It's listed at 5.6% ABV and 35 IBU.

My biggest request for help is on yeast strain and ferment temp. I want the english fruity esthers to be very subtle but noticeable. I also want high attenuation and flocculation. I'm thinking WLP007 and ferment at 66. Another option would be WLP005 and go even lower 64.

I plan to put together a full recipe shortly to post, that will include marris otter, crystal 60, crystal 120, victory, and a hint of rye for some flavor complexity.

Hops will be fuggles and UK goldings. Obtain all 35 IBU at 60 min boil and add a small fuggle charge at post 140F whirpool

Back