English Lager malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhegende

Reaction score
I am looking for 7# of a good English Lager Malt. Does anyone have a place I can get that or a good sub for it. The rest of the recipe is:
English Lager Malt
English Light DME
Cascade
Saaz
irish Moss
Dried Lager Yeast
Priming Sugar
I can get everything but Enligsh lager Malt and Northern Brewer so I was hoping they have it but I can not find it.
Id prefer to get all of that in one place but I can't seem to find the English Lager malt but I may not be looking for the right thing.
This is going to be first brew not using Mrbeers extract.
Thanks for the help.

What you are probably looking for is pilsner malt. Muntons or Baird are two English producers of pilsen malt. Personally I favour Castle (Château) pilsner malt from Belgium. If you are concerned about authenticity, just know that English brewers are just as likely to use malt from Belgium as they are from England and vice versa if the brewer prefers a characteristic over another. Castle pilsen malt is very high quality compared to other pilsen malts but I recommend going to your LHBS if you have one and sample them for yourself.

British lager malt is good stuff but it really seems to be hard to find. Any HBS that carries the British malts from Munton's, Baird's, Crisp, etc should be able to get if for you. For a sub maybe a 50/50 blend of pilsner malt and a German or Belgian pale malt.

Would it be a grain or a lme that I am looking for? I am guessing a grain but I am not surest ideas?

Back