English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batch with the 2 row was very tasty, yes it had a nice biscuit background but it wasn't over whelming. The extra dark crystal was the dominant malt actually. Put a bottle with the golden promise in the fridge tonight to taste test tomorrow. See how it is carbing up mainly... taste testing the hydrometer sample it seemed sweeter than the 2 row.

I've got a dark mild in the fermenter as we speak:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 18.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 90.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.75 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 71.9 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 6 9.4 %
0.75 lb Pale Chocolate (220.0 SRM) Grain 7 9.4 %
0.75 lb Special Roast (Briess) (50.0 SRM) Grain 8 9.4 %
0.90 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.60 %] - Boil Hop 9 16.6 IBUs
0.90 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.60 %] - Boil Hop 10 8.2 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 11 -

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 13 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 34.92 qt of water at 155.4 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
8.73 Gal RO water - 4.37g Gypsum - 3.23g Calcium Chloride - 1.75g Baking Soda - Est. Mash PH 5.47

As expected frm the hydrometer sample the Golden Promise came in a tad sweeter to taste. OG and FG were the same between both.

Batch with the 2 row was very tasty, yes it had a nice biscuit background but it wasn't over whelming. The extra dark crystal was the dominant malt actually. Put a bottle with the golden promise in the fridge tonight to taste test tomorrow. See how it is carbing up mainly... taste testing the hydrometer sample it seemed sweeter than the 2 row.

Ron Pattinson's blog about beer (mostly historic British examples) is tied with Brülosophy as my favorite beer-related blog. Great recipes, lots of humor and an interesting look on how brewing has evolved over the years. Highly recommended.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/

Yep, many of us regulars on this thread are also regular readers of Ron's work. Ron also posts on this thread from time to time. Easily the most accurate reliable source on authentic English brewing technique/history (and among the best with German brewing as well) that I've ever come across.

I brewed an AK and it's now ready for drinking. It's a late 1800s pale mild. ~5% ABV, 1/3 of the fermentables are sugars and flaked maize and the rest is pale malt. Crystal clear, pale, bubbly, dry, and decidedly bitter (~45 IBU). Nice EKG character even if it's an EKG / Saaz blend.

Nice . Is it quite like summer lightning for example?

Speaking of sugar and flaked maize, I'm waiting on that new ESB dry yeast and will try it in a Burton. half of which will get put into demijohns for a secondary with orval dregs :) It's not supposed to ferment maltotriose so there should be lots for the brett to get to work on, and it's also why I didn't want to add brett at bottling

I brewed a porter today with the following recipe:

8lbs Maris Otter
1.5lbs Brown Malt
0.5lbs Carabrown
0.5lbs Black Patent

1 oz Galena at 60min

OG was 1.055 and I am using S-04. I plan on dry hopping with some EKG (1-2oz) once fermentation stops, and I might do a secondary fermentation with brett c in a gallon or two.

I brewed a porter today with the following recipe:

8lbs Maris Otter
1.5lbs Brown Malt
0.5lbs Carabrown
0.5lbs Black Patent

1 oz Galena at 60min

OG was 1.055 and I am using S-04. I plan on dry hopping with some EKG (1-2oz) once fermentation stops, and I might do a secondary fermentation with brett c in a gallon or two.

That looks good. Isn't the carabrown pretty much the same as regular brown? I brew very similar porters (~15% brown, <5% black) and around 40-50IBU for a .055.

That looks good. Isn't the carabrown pretty much the same as regular brown? I brew very similar porters (~15% brown, <5% black) and around 40-50IBU for a .055.

I think it is just a brown malt but I've heard conflicting information regarding that, so I didn't want to overdo any caramel malt. Do you dry hop at all? I'm on the fence about doing it.

Hello! quick question for the English Ale folks. I want to brew an English Barleywine. To get enough yeast my plan was to brew a smaller ESB or Bitter first then pitch a portion(about 3/4) of the cake into the Barleywine. Does anybody have a suggestion for a yeast that would work in both the Bitter and Barleywine. My first thought was 1469 since I've heard good things about that yeast. Any other suggestions?

Depending on how high you go, 1469 can struggle with high ABV in my experience. Once you go >10% it's questionable if you ask me. If you pitch at a higher rate and oxygenate it twice with pure O2 (lots of oxygen pre-pitching and a second smaller burst maybe 8 hours after pitching), you could probably get 11-12% in an all malt wort. Could use sugar too.

Hello! quick question for the English Ale folks. I want to brew an English Barleywine. To get enough yeast my plan was to brew a smaller ESB or Bitter first then pitch a portion(about 3/4) of the cake into the Barleywine. Does anybody have a suggestion for a yeast that would work in both the Bitter and Barleywine. My first thought was 1469 since I've heard good things about that yeast. Any other suggestions?

What type of barleywine are you looking at? British barleywines vary wildly from pale golden to dark brown, strengths from under 8% to above 10%, bitter, mellow, aged, fresh, etc. If you are going for something like Old Tom, I guess the Timothy Taylor yeast (1469) would be ok. ~8%, dark, about 2/3 malt to 1/3 maize and sugar. Most of the colour from brewers' caramel and not aged.

I had The Bruery's Mash at a dinner one night and I have been obsessed with that beer

Here is the mash bill:
17 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Munch
8 oz abbey Malt
4 oz chocolate malt

Looking at something between 8 and 10%

The flavor that I want is the chocolate raisin/plum taste that I've had from some English Barleywines. I'm thinking a lot of that flavor comes from the yeast. Is that correct?

I had The Bruery's Mash at a dinner one night and I have been obsessed with that beer

Here is the mash bill:
17 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Munch
8 oz abbey Malt
4 oz chocolate malt

Looking at something between 8 and 10%

The flavor that I want is the chocolate raisin/plum taste that I've had from some English Barleywines. I'm thinking a lot of that flavor comes from the yeast. Is that correct?

Often breweries use their regular yeast and those flavours come from dark sugars and dark malts. Sugars are a bit like a dubbel in that sense. Liquid brewers' caramel can then be used to match colour.

Has anyone tried to use Conan yeast in an English recipe, like a mild or a bitter?

It's taken me a while in my craft beer journey to appreciate English style ales, and man, fresh FW Double Barrel Ale has been hitting the spot lately.

Has anyone tried to use Conan yeast in an English recipe, like a mild or a bitter?

It's taken me a while in my craft beer journey to appreciate English style ales, and man, fresh FW Double Barrel Ale has been hitting the spot lately.

I've never used it, but isn't it meant to be a British yeast? You can always run a quick test with 7lb of MO, 4oz Crystal 60 and 6oz of flaked maize. Couple of oz of hops in the boil and another oz to dry hop and you've got a quick and easy brew day.

Been thinking of brewing a bigger beer next for the winter and spring and eyeing ideas around the triple stout / imperial stout region. Fairly set on the grist, but open to ideas with the hops.

OG 1.095, 97IBU, 40SRM

Grist:
14lb Maris Otter
3lb Brown Malt (Crisp)
1.5lb Amber Malt (Crisp)
0.75lb Black Patent

60 minute boil:
60m - 2oz of Target (11%AA)
20m - 2oz of Target (11%AA)

Most likely fermenting with a couple of sachets of S04 or something funkier like M79.

Been thinking of brewing a bigger beer next for the winter and spring and eyeing ideas around the triple stout / imperial stout region. Fairly set on the grist, but open to ideas with the hops.

OG 1.095, 97IBU, 40SRM

Grist:
14lb Maris Otter
3lb Brown Malt (Crisp)
1.5lb Amber Malt (Crisp)
0.75lb Black Patent

60 minute boil:
60m - 2oz of Target (11%AA)
20m - 2oz of Target (11%AA)

Most likely fermenting with a couple of sachets of S04 or something funkier like M79.

No sugar on something that big?

Yeah I'd use sugar :) Although that recipe still looks good. I'd probably change the later target for something else and boil for a bit longer

s04 is usually good in stouts, certainly prefer it there than in pale ales

have a harveys recipe to ponder :)
LhgCrQR.jpg

that recipe was based on what little info i could find online about the beer hence the 3 hour boil. ALthough the yeast is wrong of course - their two strain+debaryomyces hansenii is not easy to get

Yeah I'd use sugar :) Although that recipe still looks good. I'd probably change the later target for something else and boil for a bit longer

s04 is usually good in stouts, certainly prefer it there than in pale ales

have a harveys recipe to ponder :)
LhgCrQR.jpg

that recipe was based on what little info i could find online about the beer hence the 3 hour boil. ALthough the yeast is wrong of course - their two strain+debaryomyces hansenii is not easy to get

That looks incredible! Yeah, sold on the sugar. Makes the brew day easier by needing a pound or two less malt in there too.

They actually hop the real recipe a bit more but I fudged it a bit to keep the hops to an even 300g. It's 6lb to a british bbl in the main recipe, which would be closer to 350g in that recipe. What can I say, I hate opened packs of hops :)

Wow, that's not like the Harvey's beers I've had (to be fair, it's not like I've had many)! Happy to chuck in something more flavourful in with those Targets too. I guess I wouldn't go for as much aging so I'd be fine with less IBUs.

Yeah they normally boil for only 75mins and their bitter is hopped about 1/6th of that.

I love Harveys, they are my favourite brewery. Not without their faults though, their numerous bottled beers can be terrible as they have to pasteurise them due to that wild yeast/bacteria they have in their yeast. And british beers are not good pastuerised, that boiled sweet flavour rears its ugly head.

Their cask beers are great when properly conditioned.

Brewing tomorrow for the first time on someone else's system which is much nicer than mine. Anyhow, we decided on my export porter recipe with an of og 1.068 and hoppy. If I had to use dry yeast should I go safale or Nottingham? I could make a starter with liquid yeast but it would only have around 16 hours of action.

Brewing tomorrow for the first time on someone else's system which is much nicer than mine. Anyhow, we decided on my export porter recipe with an of og 1.068 and hoppy. If I had to use dry yeast should I go safale or Nottingham? I could make a starter with liquid yeast but it would only have around 16 hours of action.

I like WLP-005 for a porter but you're up against making a starter for that, especially with that high OG. Notty will finish a little dry so maybe the S-04 would be a good choice. YMMV

Cheers!

Ron has posted the recipe of 1954 Gold Label. Proper classy barleywine. 45% of the grist is pale malt, and the remainder is made out of flaked maize and pale invert sugar syrup. OG of 1.109 for an abv over 11%.

Ron has posted the recipe of 1954 Gold Label. Proper classy barleywine. 45% of the grist is pale malt, and the remainder is made out of flaked maize and pale invert sugar syrup. OG of 1.109 for an abv over 11%.

I may brew this soon.
Would Lyle's Golden work instead of invert 1?
I do have the capability of making Invert 1 but only 1.5 lbs worth, so if I added a lb. of Lyle's, would that work also?

I may brew this soon.
Would Lyle's Golden work instead of invert 1?
I do have the capability of making Invert 1 but only 1.5 lbs worth, so if I added a lb. of Lyle's, would that work also?

I'd add the Lyle in and try to invert it further.

Making the real deal invert right now and am brewing this bad boy tomorrow!

Wow, that sounds really exciting! If anything I'd up the hops by 10% or so to compensate for the lower extraction of a homebrew setup. It would be a bummer to aim at 63IBU and end up with 50 considering how high that OG already is!

I've plugged in my hops alpha% into beersmith and i compensated to achieve 63 ibu.
The hops are measured out and waiting 15 minutes to add the first hop addition.
Pre boil gravity was 1065 without the invert.

I've plugged in my hops alpha% into beersmith and i compensated to achieve 63 ibu.
The hops are measured out and waiting 15 minutes to add the first hop addition.
Pre boil gravity was 1065 without the invert.

Three hour boil? :D

Back