English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas on the yeast used by Greene king for Abbott ale?
I only know that they recently improved the recipe. The part about fermentation says "Fermented slowly to give just enough fruity esters Abbot Ale provides a complex, satisfying and warming experience." So I guess a colder fermentation with any classic English yeast would get close. I have only ever tried it once and did not like it, though I guess back then Greene King had a bad reputation. Might be better now.

@Miraculix If you pitch twice the amount of yeast for better performance you will also significantly reduce the ester production of the yeast. That will probably help with Verdant, but I really don't like overpitching with the dry yeasts I tried so far (S-04 and Nottingham) because they already produce minimal esters. Just wanted to point that out.

Maybe in the future I will also find the time to try the Verdant and see how it behaves. Lots of esters actually sounds very nice to me, like an actual substitute for liquid yeasts.

@Miraculix If you pitch twice the amount of yeast for better performance you will also significantly reduce the ester production of the yeast. That will probably help with Verdant, but I really don't like overpitching with the dry yeasts I tried so far (S-04 and Nottingham) because they already produce minimal esters. Just wanted to point that out.

Maybe in the future I will also find the time to try the Verdant and see how it behaves. Lots of esters actually sounds very nice to me, like an actual substitute for liquid yeasts.
It's the wrong esters from verdant for UK style bitters. It's just distinctive intense fruit character that overshadows everything else. This works very well with American hops but fails with everything else.

Nottingham is a clean yeast to me so I don't expect any esters from it anyway, same for s04. That's why I'm pitching as much as possible. Otherwise, yes, that should be taken into consideration, preferably tested with two identical batches with different pitch rates.

It's the wrong esters from verdant for UK style bitters. It's just distinctive intense fruit character that overshadows everything else. This works very well with American hops but fails with everything else.

Nottingham is a clean yeast to me so I don't expect any esters from it anyway, same for s04. That's why I'm pitching as much as possible. Otherwise, yes, that should be taken into consideration, preferably tested with two identical batches with different pitch rates.
I was all set to try Verdant but now I think I am going to try the classic Windsor/Nottingham blend since I haven't done that before. And maybe split the batch with Wyeast 1469 and see which one I prefer. My local source for Wyeast closed and if I can find a dry yeast blend that I like it will make my life easier.

I was all set to try Verdant but now I think I am going to try the classic Windsor/Nottingham blend since I haven't done that before. And maybe split the batch with Wyeast 1469 and see which one I prefer. My local source for Wyeast closed and if I can find a dry yeast blend that I like it will make my life easier.
I would advise to do exactly that. You might want to try adding a small amount, like 10% of verdant to the mix, but I would try the classic windsor/notty mix alone first. I should have done this long ago, but my next dry yeast one will be this exact combo. Verdant is just too much. It might be an interesting factor wayyy in the background, I am not sure about this though.

One thing I forgot, you can skip trying a London Ale / Notty mix. This just does not work. Notty takes over and somehow the result is neither as good as London ESB/London Ale alone nor as Notty alone. Or maybe I fermented it too cold? Well, these were my results.

This is my pale/light bitter on tap right now.
I mentioned earlier that I was gonna try a vienna from a Swedish heritage barley called Balder, as a sub for mild malt.
Well I am not too impressed tbh, it is slightly under modified and the flavour is just a bit much on the sweetness compartment. That has likely led some clarity issues.
Hopped with fuggles and first gold as late boil and a modest dry hop.
The Verdant is definitely a bit too aggressive, but not so much as to make it a bad beer, would just be nice with a more subtle yeasty fruityness
I have bought some Simpson Vienna to use as Mild Malt, as my research suggest it actually IS mild malt, but I guess calling it Vienna is more marketable.
I can totally see the Balder malt being really nice in a step mashed malty lager though, gonna keep it and use some in a dark czech I got planned for "sometime in the future"

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_163745.jpg
    IMG_20230106_163745.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
How does the Sussex info help for Suffolk?

I have been enjoying Harvey's best and do have their yeast for my attempt. Your info very helpful for that project and appreciated esp the water.
Yes, it's me, off beam again. But you could email [email protected] for a possible alternative.

Any ideas on the yeast used by Greene king for Abbott ale?

It's the Greene King house yeast, obvs....

But I've not got a clear idea of what that is - the Mann yeast went in the 1930s to Simpson's of Baldock who were bought by Greene King in 1954 and I've seen suggestions that the Simpson yeast was spread around the Greene King empire as well as eg finding its way to Brakspear. So a blend of Wyeast 1275 and 1882 which is meant to recreate the Brakspear blend might have a genetic link.

But as has been said, there's nothing particularly special about the GK yeast - at least not by the time they've finished with it - it's a fairly generic bit fruity, decent attenuation kind of thing so probably something Whitbready like 1098/1099, or M36 should get you in the ballpark?

But yep, talk to Brewlab or harvest from a cask if you want something authentic...

It's the Greene King house yeast, obvs....

But I've not got a clear idea of what that is - the Mann yeast went in the 1930s to Simpson's of Baldock who were bought by Greene King in 1954 and I've seen suggestions that the Simpson yeast was spread around the Greene King empire as well as eg finding its way to Brakspear. So a blend of Wyeast 1275 and 1882 which is meant to recreate the Brakspear blend might have a genetic link.

But as has been said, there's nothing particularly special about the GK yeast - at least not by the time they've finished with it - it's a fairly generic bit fruity, decent attenuation kind of thing so probably something Whitbready like 1098/1099, or M36 should get you in the ballpark?

But yep, talk to Brewlab or harvest from a cask if you want something authentic...
Would blending 1098/1099 give you the Whitbread multistrain? I've searched around this thread but haven't found a clear answer, if there is one.

Would blending 1098/1099 give you the Whitbread multistrain? I've searched around this thread but haven't found a clear answer, if there is one.
It'll get you something similar, it will never be exactly the same as they've had their own genetic history in the generations between them leaving Whitbread and entering the freezers of Wyeast - and in the case of eg WLP002/1968 that time is significant given that if they did originate at Fuller's they have since turned into something very different and have lost the orange that is so typical of Fuller's.

If authenticity is important to you then Brewlab or harvesting cask/bottle dregs if available are your best bet.

If authenticity is important to you then Brewlab or harvesting cask/bottle dregs if available are your best bet.
Is there a source as to why Brewlab would have the authentic brewery yeast and not just something from the NCYC or other common source? Just wondering since I read that somewhere else as well.

It'll get you something similar, it will never be exactly the same as they've had their own genetic history in the generations between them leaving Whitbread and entering the freezers of Wyeast - and in the case of eg WLP002/1968 that time is significant given that if they did originate at Fuller's they have since turned into something very different and have lost the orange that is so typical of Fuller's.

Authenticity would be nice, but South Alabama is a bit of an English ale desert, especially bottle/cask conditioned ones. A walk down the beer aisle at our local Publix will get you probably 20 different IPAs with words like hazy, juicy, or tropical in the description. I may brew something with the 1098/1099 blend just to give it a try. I wouldn't know what the authentic Whitbread yeasts tasted like anyway. Just curious, are there any breweries in the UK still brewing Whitbread branded ales with the original multistrain?

Is there a source as to why Brewlab would have the authentic brewery yeast and not just something from the NCYC or other common source?
NCYC is great, but costs US$185/strain at an absolute minimum (academic price, UK tax, freeze-dried, UK delivery) and can easily go north of US$300/strain if you're not careful so it's just not a realistic option for most homebrewers, whereas Brewlab is about 5-10% of that price. And they do collect strains directly in some cases.

Authenticity would be nice, but South Alabama is a bit of an English ale desert, especially bottle/cask conditioned ones. A walk down the beer aisle at our local Publix will get you probably 20 different IPAs with words like hazy, juicy, or tropical in the description. I may brew something with the 1098/1099 blend just to give it a try. I wouldn't know what the authentic Whitbread yeasts tasted like anyway. Just curious, are there any breweries in the UK still brewing Whitbread branded ales with the original multistrain?
I hear ya. Whitbread sold out to the then InBev (now ABI) about 20 years ago and I think the only beer that continues is Gold Label and even that has dropped the Whitbread branding I think - and in any case is only available in cans. Ron Pattinson has written extensively on the subject of the early years of Gold Label.

I imagine ABI still brew with the original yeast, but all their output is in kegs or cans so it never reaches the outside world in theory (although I have my suspicions about the origins of 1318 even if it's seen a lot of changes before it reached Wyeast....). And because it was an easy yeast to use and they kept breweries all over the country open after taking them over, its descendants are everywhere.

NCYC is great, but costs US$185/strain at an absolute minimum
I always understood that many strains from WLP and WY are from the NCYC, as genetics showed in several cases. NCYC1318 is even called London Ale III on the NCYC website. So it might just be the same thing. This would not be exclusively a Brewlabs thing.

@cire gave me some more details via pm, indicating Brewlabs could have some authentic samples.

By the way, my comparison brew between propagated Fuller's yeast and A09 showed no noticeable difference. Not the most accurate though, since my 1l brews have a high variability.

now I am questioning using half packet each Verdant and Notty. Everyone, myself included, really enjoyed the result of one packet Verdant, half Notty on the @Miraculix Classic. I was just trying to be austere and perhaps for the $10 or $12 what's the point?

now I am questioning using half packet each Verdant and Notty. Everyone, myself included, really enjoyed the result of one packet Verdant, half Notty on the @Miraculix Classic. I was just trying to be austere and perhaps for the $10 or $12 what's the point?
It is ok for that bitter. A09 is also a bit fruity, this is the closest you can get to that with dry yeast.

Took a gravity sample since it has looked pretty dead in the bucket today and yesterday, 8days post pitch.
Down to 1.016 from 80 and about 8.5% abv. Tasted rather boozy as expected, but also a very light phenolic taste from the m42, what I read about it throwing some seems to be true if you give it an ester freindly enviroment to work in, and some dark fruit and berries I suspect is from the Brewly yeast, seems like a very promising combo for my English Ales as I am mostly interrested in Northern/Yorkshire-ish ales.

For the 2024 vintage I will likely mash a bit warmer and for 60 instead of 75 min and reduce the invert a bit, to give the Brett some more sugar to work with though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_142813.jpg
    IMG_20230107_142813.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Old ale has hit final gravity. Well, at least I hope it's hit final gravity, because it's at 1.013 down from 1.074. Seem to be getting a bit of sulphur dioxide off my copitch which I've not had with S-04/London before. Tasting great though- honey cake and orange marmalade. I'll be soft crashing it at 10ish C for 48 hours then kegging.

Split base of MO and Chev at 42% each, 8% golden syrup, 5% Extra Light Crystal, 2% Cara Gold and 1% Carafa Special. Magnum at 30, Fuggle and Jester at 5, and Olicana T45 plus some leftover Amarillo in the whirlpool.

Old ale has hit final gravity. Well, at least I hope it's hit final gravity, because it's at 1.013 down from 1.074. Seem to be getting a bit of sulphur dioxide off my copitch which I've not had with S-04/London before. Tasting great though- honey cake and orange marmalade. I'll be soft crashing it at 10ish C for 48 hours then kegging.

Split base of MO and Chev at 42% each, 8% golden syrup, 5% Extra Light Crystal, 2% Cara Gold and 1% Carafa Special. Magnum at 30, Fuggle and Jester at 5, and Olicana T45 plus some leftover Amarillo in the whirlpool.
I've had sulphur from s04 when fermented cold. Tasted like a lager, a friend of mine had the same with s04.

Last edited:
I've had sulphur from s04 when fermented cold. Tasted like a lager, I friends of mine had the same with s04.
Could well be that. It's been sat in an unheated workshop that's ~12°C since the bulk of fermentation completed. Safe to say the ensuing beer doesn't taste like a lager, though (thankfully).

I did a yeast off ages ago with WLP017 and S-04. The brewclub consensus is that the WLP017 + S-04 was far superior to either individually. WLP017 is called the Whitbread II strain, and S-04 is supposedly one of the other whitbread multi-strain. So, you might try this combination.

I did a yeast off ages ago with WLP017 and S-04. The brewclub consensus is that the WLP017 + S-04 was far superior to either individually. WLP017 is called the Whitbread II strain, and S-04 is supposedly one of the other whitbread multi-strain. So, you might try this combination.
Do you know if wyeast 1099 is the same as wlp017?

They taste very different. Especially if you use S-04 in dry form, in which it is quite neutral. I used 1099 in a Doom Bar clone recently (they reportedly ferment at 25°C, so perfekt for a summer brew) and it gives a full fruity flavour with complex notes. S-04, if used in liquid form as yeast slurry, is more on the orange side like Fuller's.

They taste very different. Especially if you use S-04 in dry form, in which it is quite neutral. I used 1099 in a Doom Bar clone recently (they reportedly ferment at 25°C, so perfekt for a summer brew) and it gives a full fruity flavour with complex notes. S-04, if used in liquid form as yeast slurry, is more on the orange side like Fuller's.
Brilliant, thanks for sharing your experience. Then I shall infuse my upcoming 1099 slurry with some glycerine and freeze it for future mixes with s04.

No fusels at 25c?!

002 would give you the hangover of death (talking from personal experience...).

OK! I just tapped my 4th or so version of a recipe, loosely based but not trying to duplicate Fuller's ESB. Just something with an English inspiration.

Malts are primarily Pale Ale (9lb), with some medium (1/2 lb) and dark crystal (1/2 lb), and some Victory (1/2 lb) as well.
Hops are a combo of First Gold and East Kent Goldings, 50/50 added in the boil, at -15 minutes, and some at flame-out left to sit as well.
Wyeast 1968 this batch but have used A09 Pub as well, always fermented around 70 or so to get some extra esters.

I keep getting a flavor I'd describe as earthy, maybe like rye. I can't seem to get rid of it. I don't hate it, but I don't want it.

I thought it was the Victory perhaps, but a version I made a while back removed the Victory and had no change to this flavor.
I thought it was the Maris Otter perhaps, but the change to Pale Ale made no difference.

I have doubted it was the yeast, but could the warmer temps be pushing this flavor out?

Seems most likely it's the hops. Could anyone take a guess on which it might be? I'll cut it out of the next version. I suppose the flame-out addition is amplifying this hop flavor, if it is indeed the hops.

I think Victory is equivalent to Amber malt, right? I know that some people have issues with Amber malt, taste wise. Personally I like it in small doses but when too much is used I certainly can understand people not liking it.

I read it's equivalent to biscuit. Well, comparable. I did a recipe without any Victory and it made no difference. That said... if 2 ingredients give the flavor, and I only remove one...

I always thought it as a "rye" flavor, and tried to pin it on a grain, but it may be "earthy" instead which could be ascribed to a hop. They don't have this smell from the bag but heat changes things.

Both amber and Biscuit are Similar to victory IME- I think being frank both Victory and Biscuit are different maltsters "branded" takes on amber malt. Certainly Crisp list their Amber malt with the line "also known as Biscuit".

I've got a couple bottles still of a HB '39 Fullers OBE, the precursor to ESB. In lieu of dry hopping, that one got a big flameout/whirlpool addition. Earthy, but in a very resiny way. Now that I've gone back to 60m bittering plus a dry hop, that middle resiny zone is gone and the malt once again comes through.

I think Victory is equivalent to Amber malt, right? I know that some people have issues with Amber malt, taste wise. Personally I like it in small doses but when too much is used I certainly can understand people not liking it.

You really gotta crunch a few kernals of each. Really. Then brewing with each with no other differences in the grist.

We really need a grain sampler set. Someone should get to work on that.

Back