En skål til Odin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
En skål til Odin
"A Toast to Odin
Click Here to see Formal Writeups of all MaxTheSpy Recipes​

[Warning: If you follow the way I did this exactly, you will end up with a very strong clove mead. I love cloves an insane amount so I loved it though If you only just like them or dont really like them add them a few days after secondary and taste every few days till you get the flavor you like.]

Ingredients
  • 3.5 Pounds Locally Harvested Wildflower Honey
  • Yeast | Red Star Côte Des Blancs 5 gram package.
  • Yeast Energiser | Common energiser Whatever the shop had.
  • Spring Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Clove
  • 2 Tablespoons Mulling Spice
  • 1 Gallon Distilled Water

Process
Step 1:
Put a medium pot on the stove, place a very small glass bowl or something that won't melt to keep the container of honey off the bottom while the water warms it. Turn to medium low heat, You don't want to heat it too fast. [You don't need to heat your honey, Though it does help in pouring it with a funnel]

Step 2:
Clean everything that will be touching the must with a proper sanitizer such as one step or equivalent. This is important as you don't want any bacteria to grow inside your Mead.

Step 3:
Pour ⅓ gallon of distilled water into the sanitized carboy and use a funnel to aid in adding the honey. Give it a whirl and make sure the honey is warm enough to mix with the water.

Step 4:
Take a sanitized bowl and measure 2 cups distilled water into it add your yeast energiser and nutrient to it, gently stir it up and make sure it's mixed in nicely, and then add it to the honey water in the carboy and give it another gently whirl

Step 5:
Measure 2 cups into another bowl and heat it up to around 104℉ add half a package of yeast to it give it a gentle stir and let it sit for 15 min.

Step 6:
Measure your spices into a bag or bowl and squeeze them so some crack but some don't. Add These to the carboy.

Step 7:
The Timer went off, so add your yeast water mix to the carboy, and place a solid cap or cork onto the bottle and shake it for 5 min. This gives the fermentation process plenty of air to work with.

Step 8:
On day 3, boil the remaining half a package of yeast to kill it and release the nutrients within. Make sure the yeast is dead and add it to the carboy and give it a stir.

Gravity Readings

9-JAN-2017---Not Taken
22-JAN-2017---1.030
29-JAN-2017---1.020
5-FEB-2017---1.018
6-FEB-2017---1.018

If you would like to see my other recipies please click here​

I love the idea of this. Can't quite get my mind to what it would taste like. But I can't imagine not liking it. How sweet does it end up? 3.5 seems high for a gallon.

Is 2 Tbsp clove...whole cloves or crushed?

"Mulling spice" seems a bit...vague.

I love the idea of this. Can't quite get my mind to what it would taste like. But I can't imagine not liking it. How sweet does it end up? 3.5 seems high for a gallon.

uch. sorry about the dupe. could someone nuke this?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It ends up not super sweet but sweet enough in my opinion. the cloves are whole, not crushed. Mulling spice is what it said at the store. here is a brief definition online

Mulling spices is a spice mixture used in drink recipes. ... The combination of spices varies, but it usually consists of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg; and less frequently star anise, peppercorn or cardamom. It also usually includes dried fruit (such as raisins, apples or orange rind).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It ends up not super sweet but sweet enough in my opinion. the cloves are whole, not crushed. Mulling spice is what it said at the store. here is a brief definition online...

Ah. It wasn't some home concocted mulling spice mixture. That works for me just fine.

Yeah I'll be putting a small batch of this down within the next week or so.

Thanks o7

Ah. It wasn't some home concocted mulling spice mixture. That works for me just fine.

Yeah I'll be putting a small batch of this down within the next week or so.

Thanks o7

Let me know when you start it. It acts a little weird sometimes. But it will come around. I'd like to see your process and readings

Back