Empty Kegs :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertw0lf

Reaction score
So in an attempt to start setting up to go all-grain I have been questing for empty kegs to make keggles out of... NONE of the local breweries has any decommissioned kegs - they all say that they are having as many rebuilt as possible...

I don't really want to grab a keg from craigslist that should be going back to the brewery and isn't decommissioned.. any suggestions guys?

Las vegas just doesn't seem like the place to pick these things up.:(

If you can score some on Craigslist, do it... Someone already paid the deposit, and they're not getting it back, so the brewery isn't that bad off. Or you can buy some off of ebay (paying more most likely)...

You can also check for homebrew clubs in your area to see if they have any. Or check with the LHBS stores to see if they get any in that you can buy. The LHBS in my area actually gets them in, from time to time, and converts them. IMO, they charge a bit more than I would like to pay for a keg with an opening (top) and hole drilled. Especially when it's not all that hard to do. They use weldless fittings, so it's not like it's something WE can't do. If you already have the tools, then it's just a matter of locating a keg to setup.

I'm trying to score a keg from a local person now... I got one a little while ago, and there's another person getting rid of some. They had four, and sold three already (the other person has the same first name as me). If I can score this one, then I'll have the base for my boil keggle (when I make it). If not, then when I'm actually ready to get one, I'll simply hunt one down either locally (wherever I am) or online.

I called metal recycling yards around town, none had kegs.

I bought mine from Craig's List, $25 each.

Now I am looking for a 1/4 barrel for a small fermenter.

Back