Emergency Lagering: Fridge without a temperature controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieBartDie

Reaction score
Is it better to ferment a batch of lager at room temperature (72F) and pass on lagering or get a fridge without a temperature controller?

Rapid advice appreciated - I'm planning on picking up a fridge on Craigslist shortly.

Just moved my lager from primary to secondary. Surprised to find when siphoning it tasted great (but it's quite cloudy)! I wrapped the secondary in towels with ice hoping to cool it down - but it's only down to 66F overnight. My alternatives are:

1) Do the secondary at room temperature (72F) and forget lagering (will it still be drinkable?)

2) Get a fridge (free, Craigslist) without a temperature controller (can't afford the latter at this time)

3) Put the carboy in a sink filled with cold water with some ice in it and replenesh the ice daily.

What would experts out there advise?

Die Bart Die

Most fridges can adjust up to about 45 degrees with the standard regulator. That's on the low end of most lager yeasts, as I understand it. So go ahead and pick up a fridge, you'll be fine.

Get a fridge or preffereably a frezzer and use a standard plug timer to restrict the amount of rime it is on.

400-597971.jpg

Well, you're already racking to secondary which tells me you fermented way too hot already. Most lager yeasts want to be in the 48-59 range. You're not going to have the clean lager taste now no matter what you do. It may benefit from a long rest at fridge temps (35F) but you might be disappointed anyway.

I've seen a lot of people brand new to brewing attempting lagers without the proper equipment and experience and this is a sure way to get frustrated right out of the hobby. Even if you really really like lagers, you'll appreciate a well made ale much more than a poorly made lager.

Bobby,
I'm keen to get it right next time I brew lager. The instructions I was following from the brew store suggested only to lager during secondary fermentation.

What's the correct procedure? You seem to imply the primary fermentation should also be chilled.

Die Bart Die

What kind of yeast did you use? I have a feeling that you actually used ale yeast if it didn't say to keep the temps down. Keeping the temp down during secondary on an ale is usually used to help clear the beer.

In any case, get the fridge if you can, use it for primary and secondary. You can probably get the fridge calibrated to give you pretty good temp control. Keep your eye on e-bay you can get good deals on temp controllers some time.

Used 2 packets of dry lager yeast.

Got a decent size fridge (free - Craigslist). The "lager" was in the primary for 1 week, not refrigerated (I will refrigerate primary next time). Tasted real good when siphoning. Still very cloudy.

I have a fermenetation temperature sticker on the side and the fridge has a decent dial to set the temperature. Any recommendations on the target temperature(s) and duration for secondary fermentation appreciated (remember I don't have an actual temperature controller). Also I read that at the end I need to bump the temperature back up to 68F to complete the process (dialyzation?).

Advice more than welcome.

Most lager primary fermentations should be between 48-55F. You should see how warm you can get your fridge on the stock controller. It's probably going to be low 40s or high 30s. As Orfy suggested, you can buy a cheap appliance timer to cycle the fridge off in certain increments. It's not exacting at all but you might be able to keep the temp in the right range.

What were the numbers on the packs of dried yeast? If indeed these were true lager yeasts, then like was said your "lager" already has enough esters and fusels to keep it from being a "true" lager.

But as you say It tastes great now...so drink it up fast and make more.

Latest posts

Back