Emergency bag repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frilock

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my second attempt at BIAB, and my bag ripped mid brew. I was using it to steep some specialty grains, and while rinsing it to switch to my main grains, I noticed a small hole on the bottom. Its sort of small but it wants to tear a bit more. Its a brand new bag just bought a few hours ago, I'm in the middle of this session and don't have another bag. Is there any way to fix it or am I boned for the night?

Edit: It appears my eyes were playing tricks on me, the tear is actually closer to the top, should be above the water line. I'm going to keep the tear in mind and try keep my eyes on it for the night, but I don't think I'll be reusing this bag.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why are you separating your specialty grains from the rest of your mash?

Just wondering, why are you separating your specialty grains from the rest of your mash?

Good catch, good question? Carry over from extract brewing perhaps idk?

Equipment limitation. I would have had just enough room to mash everything at once, so I decided to do them separate and give myself some extra room. I really should just go buy a bigger pot, maybe next weekend.

Also, just an update, things went well, tear ended up being high enough to not be a problem.

So I recently upgraded to a bigger pot that includes a built in thermometer with 2" probe. I punctured my new bag TWICE in two brewing sessions because I forgot about the probe. The holes are about 1/8 inch diameter. Kicker is, this is a new bag. Is there a permanent repair for this or do I need to drop another $10 for a fresh bag? The bag is a fine mesh of what looks like nylon and I'm wondering it's possible to sew up the holes like darning socks.

maybe get some material similar or a previous bag and patch it using dental floss. Was going to say fishing line but not sure about it and heat...

I have a bag with a tear 2 inches from the bottom. Left it on the railing meaning to mend it, never got around. Last brew day, I couldn't find the "good" bag, so I reused the torn one. No appreciable difference. If I were to mend the bag I would get a small square of bag material and sew it over the tear.

Back