Elysian Punkuccino Coffee Pumpkin Ale Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamripper

Reaction score
I am looking for help on building a recipe for Punkuccino Coffee Pumpkin Ale Clone.
Here is what I know about the beer:
Malts- Pale, Brown, Biscuit, C-77, crystal, Chocolate and Kiln Coffee
Hops- German Northern Brewer
Stumptown coffee with pumpkin added to the mash, kettle and fermenter
ABV- 5%
Any help to get me started would be great.

Elysian is the king of pumpkin beers so I would be interested, too.

Some starting points that could help you with your clone:

*Both raw and roasted pumpkin seeds in the mash.
*Stumptown Coffee Toddy in the mash.
*Roasted pumpkin puree in the mash, kettle and fermenter.
*Spiced with cinnamon sticks, a bit of fresh ground nutmeg, whole cloves and whole cracked allspice.
*Only Northern Brewer hops are added as the bittering charge.
*Roughly 10 lbs. of total grain for a 5 gallon batch.
*OG in the mid to upper 1.050s - FG of roughly 1.016-1.017.
*Possible use of Lactose for added sweetness and a sense of creaminess to the body.

Stumptown Coffee Toddy is made via a cold water brewing system. It is essentially cold-pressed coffee. When brewing coffee with hot water you not only extract the flavors of the coffee beans, but also astringent and bitter qualities that can come across as burnt characteristics.

How to Make Cold Brew Coffee

•Large container with sealable lid
•Strainer: muslin sack or paint strainer bag
•Storage container with sealable lid
•Coarse ground coffee (dark roast)
•Filtered water

*Cold brew coffee brewers will use anywhere from 1-2 ounces of coffee beans per cup of water.*

*More concentrated cold brew coffee can be made by using less water in the steeping process in order to add as little water to the finished beer as possible. This isn’t always needed, but is a great way to prevent the “watered-down beer” quality. Of course, you can always add a bit more malt to the mash to compensate for anticipated additional water content.*

1. Grind the beans with a burr grinder until coarse. Some coffee grinders have settings for coarse grind, or you can pulse the grinder.

2. Place ground coffee beans in a container large enough to fit the coffee and water. A pitcher, tupperware, mason jar, etc, work well.

3. Using the ratio guidelines above, add the appropriate amount of filtered water and give the mixture a quick stir to make sure all the beans are saturated.

4. Seal the lid and place in the fridge for 12-24 hours.

5. After 12-24 hours, strain the coffee through cheese cloth or something similar into the storage container to remove the coffee grounds. This process can be repeated as needed.

6. Store the coffee in a sealed storage container for up to a few days.

Back