Ella (aka Stella) hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
My go-to NE IPA uses Galaxy/Mosaic/Citra for the hop bill. I was ordering Galaxy from Yakima Valley recently, and all they had at the time was a buddy pack of Galaxy and Ella...aka Stella previously. I've never used Ella, but wondered if Galaxy/Stella/Citra may make a decent hop combination. I ordered the buddy pack and now have the hops on hand, and could plug in the AA% in BeerSmith to keep within my normal IBU range. Any thoughts on Ella pellet hops?

**I also added this exact message to an existing thread, so this is a dual placement. No harm intended.

I've never used Ella, but will do so soon. I've used Topaz, Enigma and Vis Secret. With Ella, you need to use more than 4g/l to get tropical, and under will be slightly more grassy, star-anisey... But I've tasted Ella with Citra and they go very well together. Definitely NE material.

I recently made a Neipa with them with similar hops(galaxy/motueka) ... 100g in the whirlpool but no dry hop and first tastes that they're super grassy.

I made an IPA with them and dry hopped with 50g plus El Dorado and it turned out fantastic no hint of grass at all...

From my experience it's a dry hop only.

Back