Elite IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliterunner1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this recipe that I crafted myself. Just made it today so we'll see how it turns out. If you need any more info just let me know.

1lb Melanoidin Malt (steeped 30 minutes)
6lb Golden Malt extract (60)
1oz Summit (60)
3.15lb Golden Malt Extract (20)
1oz Legacy (20)
1oz Cascade (15)
0.5oz Summit (10)
1oz Legacy (5)
1oz Cascade (5)
1oz Legacy (0)

Thinking about DH with 1oz of Cascade and Legacy each. For anyone who doesn't know Legacy is a hop that is supposed to pair well with the C hops and has a black currant aroma/flavor, very tasty!:rockin:

Looks like a good start. Up the dry hops to 4 oz (hops of your choosing) and you're in business.

okay that I can do. It wasn't a full 5 gallon boil either. I topped it off with about a gallon of water and from what I've heard that can mess with the ibu's in a hop heavy beer.

Man all I can say is that this bad boy smells good out of the airlock! Will most definitely be posting pictures as it develops. Looked like it was going to be a dark coppery color from the wort.

yeah thats what I have found out too. I was just excited because copper colored IPA's are probably my favorite. That's kind of why I opted to use Melanoidin, and for the good malt profile it adds. Just for an example I really enjoy the ipa produced by Caldera Brewing in southern Oregon.

IPA in dryhop

IMG_0251[1].jpg

Sounds and looks good, I have yet to use Legacy hops but Summit and Cascade are great together, please let us know the final verdict.

Doesn't matter. Melanoidin Malt doesn't have enough diastatic power to convert itself at mash temps. You need a base malt with enough to help you convert, such as basic two row. You essentially just filled your beer with starch. I'm sure it will be fine but it isn't a good practice.

I trust your assessment and won't make the same mistake. At the same time I tasted it as it finished its ferment and couldn't discern any off flavors or undesirable qualities so i think its alright.

If all else fails ill just give it to my overly skinny friends who need those extra starches! :cross:

I'm sure it's ok as well. Starches will have a negative impact on beer stability but it will probably be fine. I've done that early in my brewing career as well with no impact or at least I didn't notice it at the time.

Yeah as a new brewer I fully expect i will make more mistakes. The process of making beer is so damn addictive.

Back