Elevation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agbrewer03

Reaction score
I read Palmers book and am waiting on the Joys book to arrive. I havent found any information on the effects of elevation on brewing.

I am in Mexico City which is about 7500 feet above msl. It takes longer to boil and you are supposed to bake at different temps, but was curious if it would affect my boil times? I am guessing not as long as I get it boiling, boiling time is boiling time?

Yes, boiling is boiling and time is time. The only difference would be how long it takes to get to what your boiling temperature is..............

Elevation will affect a few things. You will boil-off rate will be higher, because of lower atmospheric pressure and lower humidity. Also, you will reach boil at a lower temperature. This will affect your hop utilization. I boil at about 95C, and the hop utilization is much less at that temperature. I posted a graph in the thread linked below.

Here is a thread about it.

So do you boil longer at each stage to get hop utilization. For example, instead of 60 30 and 5 minute hop boils, do 90 45 and 15?

I boil bittering hops about 10 minutes longer. Aroma and flavor additions are unchanged.

The one other thing to consider is that the altitude will impact carbonation levels when (and if) you bottle.

If you bottle and consume at the same altitude I don't think there would be much of an impact.

If you bottle at 7,500 feet and consume at sea level, however, your brew may feel a little undercarbonated.

Back