Electric Motor Actuated Ball Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DENBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever used these electric ball valves off ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorized-b...544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2ed706b8

I'm considering using the 12v for a glycol system and am just hoping someone may have experience with them. I plan to wrap my fermenters with a copper coil and insulation. I would like to run a glycol loop and have motor actuated ball valves open to allow the flow of glycol through the coil when the temperature controller calls for cooling. Basically, the valve is normally closed and the glycol runs in a loop. When the fermenter temperature reaches a high temp setpoint, the valve opens and allows glycol to cool the fermenter. When it reaches the setpoint temperature, the valve closes. No heating for the fermenters.

I am thinking that 12v is better than 120v for this because it would be nice to have low voltage wire to the valve wrapped with the temperature probe going to fermenter from a wall mounted control panel. It seems like the typical ebay aquarium temperature controller would work.

Anyone have an opinion or ideas on these valves or is there a reason not to use 12v equipment?

Back