Electric grain mill build help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhhobbies

Reaction score
So I am almost ready to buy a grain mill but I want to slap a motor on it just cuz its cool if nothing else :rockin: I have been trying to decide if I want a dedicated motor or buy a drill for the project. I would almost like to build a fixed station with its own motor. Id rather have a gearbox then huge pulleys. Looking around for a motor is getting tricky though, the only one I found around me locally is the one in the included pic. It has a gearbox but RPM seems a little high, 200 ish RPM will be the goal correct? No idea how to convert the torq on that motor, 4.0NM ?

IMG_1608.jpg

35.403 pound-inches. A bit on the light side for a mill.
150-250 rpm is a good ball park...

Cheers!

The second one (1/2 HP, rated for continuous use)? That should handle a grain mill, I'd think...

Personally, I like pulley and belt systems. They're a lot more versatile than a gear box; you can change your speed just by changing one pulley.

Perfect thanks, what kind of torq should I shoot for? My local store does not have large pulleys but they have all sorts of nice aluminum ones up to 6" and as small as 1.5" if I remember correct, I wonder if I could get in torq range with that geared motor with secondary pulley reduction :D

Pretty typical small universal motor rating. Folks have had success with 1/2hp motors, at least using belts and sheaves...

Cheers!

OK, I'm home from work and have a little more time. Of course, I also have a six pack of 6% Black Crown I bought out of curiosity... maybe I better type fast anyway. :D

After doing the arithmetic on the first motor, 260 output watts turned out to be roughly a 1/3 horsepower motor. If people can run the average mill with a battery-powered drill motor, I imagine you can run one with that motor - and according to day_trippr's post, the gearing puts you right in the middle of the recommended RPM range.

But I think you're going at this bass-akwards, or putting the cart before the horse, or whatever. First, you need to decide which mill you're going to buy. Then you can start matching motors to it....

If you're going to buy a Corona corn grinder-type mill, I seriously recommend not trying to hook a stationary motor up to it. Don't get me wrong. I have one myself, and it works fine for what it is. But they're built to very casual standards (the ones from China, at least), because they're intended for hand cranking. Things are out of alignment, things are off-center and wobble, so on and so forth. There's a good chance the motor setup will put a bind on it, unless you're lucky and got a good one.

If you want to motorize one, I recommend removing the handle, inserting a hex head bolt in place of the handle hold-down, and using a drill motor with a socket adaptor. That gives you some play. Somewhere in the forum there's a thread where a guy says he cut the hex head off, chucked the bolt directly into his drill motor - and snapped it off while grinding.

I'm not personally familiar with any of the roller-type mills. But if you decide to buy one of them, do a search and sort through members' comments. There's an incredible wealth of experience already posted here on HBT...

Ah Black Crown is my new go to "vendor" beer when I need something in a pinch, I find it very nice. Enjoy! I was going to go with a Barley Crusher mill.

Ah Black Crown is my new go to "vendor" beer when I need something in a pinch, I find it very nice. Enjoy! I was going to go with a Barley Crusher mill.
When I'm in a pinch, I'll settle for Milwaukee's Best. Obviously not a great beer and reviews for it are all over the map, but I think it's the best in its price range. At least I can get fairly pie-eyed on it without gagging, especially on a hot summer's day here in the desert - which is more than I can say for Old Milwaukee.

As I said, I have no personal experience with the roller-type mills. Some people love their Barley Crushers; some people hate them. Those who hate them seem to like the Monster Mill better.... but of course it costs more.

I would go with either a Monster Mill if you can swing it our otherwise the cereal crusher from AiH for a more economical choice. I was going to get a Barley Crusher until I read of some of the problems people were having, the struggles they had getting support, as well as some posts.by the BC guys themselves. All three really turned me off of the Barley Crusher and I recently ordered a Cereal Crusher.

Any piece of equipment can have problems, for more the number one decision maker is how things are handled after the sale.

Sorry, but where are you getting the 220ish RPM for the first motor. Maybe I'm missing it but I would say it's the 557 number.

Back