Electric Element Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just about to finish my build of my electric rig. But, one of my heating elements keeps leaking. It's not a lot, maybe a drop every 3-4 minutes, but it's still water, and it's still electricity. Anyone know of anything that I can use to block this up? My pots are aluminum, so weldings a no go, and don't turn this into a SS vs. Aluminum thread.

I've looked at that "Mighty Putty" that you see on television, and it's rated up to 250 degrees, would it work? Any other suggestions?

Does it matter if it is permanent? If it does not matter then I would use jbweld. It works pretty good and should seal everything nicely.

Does it matter if it is permanent? If it does not matter then I would use jbweld. It works pretty good and should seal everything nicely.

I would prefer it not be permanent, simply for cleaning purposes, but JBWeld is a good call, and if I don't find anything else, that will be what I will use.

Silicone gasket or O-ring ? You don't say how you have it assembled at the moment.

Disassemble, apply 6 - 8 wraps of [quality] telfon tape across the entire bulkhead fitting, and reassemble.

That was done to begin with.

Silicone gasket or O-ring ? You don't say how you have it assembled at the moment.

My bad, I have the original seal on the outside, and o-ring on the inside.

*I did crank on it a bit more, and it seems to have sealed okay, I still have it sitting full of water and I'll report back if it still leaks.

My bad, I have the original seal on the outside, and o-ring on the inside.

That would be the way I'd do it. Factory rubber outside fancy pants O ring inside.

*I did crank on it a bit more, and it seems to have sealed okay, I still have it sitting full of water and I'll report back if it still leaks.

That was prolly all there was to it.

Aluminum pots have very rough surfaces because of how they are made.
They spun on a metal spinning lathe. It's really quite a sight to see. Anyway it leaves that rough linear lined surface and you can just sand it away where you want to effect a seal. I'd take the sanding down to 600 grit or finer.
The O rings will seek to conform to the irregularities of the surface but that will introduce stress cracking especially in silicone. So if it starts leaking again you might want to look into taking a little abrasive paper to it.

That would be the way I'd do it. Factory rubber outside fancy pants O ring inside.

That was prolly all there was to it.

Business in the front, party in the back?

That was all there was too it, I watched The Pol's videos on this he talked about rolling the rings and possibly ruining the seal. But, I guess it's all good, I just hope this is a enough watts to bring 6.5 to boil.

Back