Electric Double Smoker not working right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I recently posted about a commercial stainless steel double heat and hold oven I converted to an electric smoker.

Unfortunately is doesn't work as it is being used (by the man I built it for). It generates considerable smoke, but the meat doesn't seem to absorb the smoke flavor as it should.

The unit is operated by ordinary hot plate elements, controlled by the original oven thermostats. A cast iron skillet is placed on top of the element, and soaked wood chips placed in the skillet. It produces copious amounts of smoke, and maintains the temps perfectly.

There is a drip tray between the meat and the smoke source..... a mistake I think. My current thinking is that we need to remove both the drip tray and the cast iron skillet so the meat is exposed to the radiant heat of the element, and we need to put chips directly on the elements, and perhaps put sand or some other media on the bottom for the drips. Not sure if the chips should be soaked or not. I came to these conclusions after looking at photos of a Brinkman....

............ I'd appreciate any useful feedback based on personal experience.

H.W.

The way you've described the construction of this smoker is exactly how most electric smokers work. For instance, my Old Smokey has the element at the bottom, with a metal pan that sits directly on top with the wood in it. Above that, is a drip bowl and then 2 racks for food. I'm having other issues regarding the length of time the smoke lasts with the amount of chips, but I've been able to get a decent amount of smoker flavor with it.

How does the smoke escape or is it an enclosed type deal? He could try getting one of those AMAZIN tube smokers to help supplement or put together a little DIY external smoker generator.

I've got an Masterbuilt electric smoker and that's pretty much how mine is setup. What are you trying to smoke? Are you giving it enough time? Do you keep adding chips throught the time you are smoking? What is the temp around the meat? Also you might not have a smoke ring like you would with fire box. I get a little pink on the edges of whatever I'm smoking but not a large smoke ring.

The smoker is being used to smoke brisket and pork at a local cafe.... or that was the idea. His regular smoker with charcoal and chips gives a rich penetration and flavor. This one fills up nicely with smoke.... Open the door and there's a ton of smoke in it, but it doesn't seem to penetrate into the meat. There is no chimney, but some smoke escapes out the side gasket on the door......not enough to deplete the smoke inside though.

H.W.

Back