Electric brewing where to start???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshwa

Reaction score
I am wanting to convert my brew system into electrical. I want to brew in my basement and not die from CO2. Thinking electric is the way to go unless someone has another option... My thinking is to start small and build from there as I am on a budget. So I want to convert my boil kettle to operate electrically with an immersion heat element. It is a 7gal kettle. I would like a coil that would be able to boil up to 15gal so when I upgrade I already have the coil. I don't need any other fancy equipment as I will deal with turning it on and off until I can afford a control panel. So my questions are: will electric brewing solve all my problems, where do I buy/get the element for a good/cheap price, and how long do they last???

First, it's the CO (carbon monoxide) that is your threat. CO2 is what carbonated our beer :).

Second, electric is a perfect way to go. There's a couple things you need to consider.

1. What type of system do you want? BIAB, HERMs, RIMs?

2. What do you have available for electrical? Can you run a new 30 amp service to where you're brewing? Do you have a dryer outlet you can already use?

3. How much control do you want to have over the system? Do you want to use a cooler to do your mash and just need to control the boil or so you want full electrical control over the entire process?

The simplest way to get started is a simple eBIAB setup. Do a search on the site and you'll find plenty of examples.

Also, check out www.theelectricbrewery.com

There's more useful information there than you can throw a stick at.

Unfortunately, going electric is not as simple as just throwing an element in a pot. And if all you have is 120v, you won't be able to bring 15 gals to a boil with an element that small

Wow now I feel dumb.....CO2....I know better...I think I have been just reading too much info....So I am mashing in a cooler and want to keep that the same. I just want to convert my boil kettle to electric. 120v is all what I have :(. Is there anywhere/how cheaper then www.theelectricbrewery.com???

You could use electric (heat stick or element in your kettle) as a suplement to your stove top source. That was my first step towards electric. Right now, I'm testing my 50AMP system for the first time :ban: trying a Creme Brule Stout as the 1st attempt.

how about this?
https://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=579
nice price tag of $25. Not too sure about all the caulk though....

With 120V being a limitation, you'll need to use said heat stick in conjunction with your stove top or some other heat source like a portable convection top.

The one you linked would work fine. Some people have used JB weld instead of all if the caulk.

I would also not use standard caulk. DAP makes a food-safe 100% silicone that is safe well above boiling temps. The tube doesn't say it clearly on the front. You have to read the fine print on the back to find the right one.

Do you have two separate 120V circuits available (different outlets on different breakers)?
That would be enough power to boil 10+ gallons.

Hi! I'm in the same boat as you, only that I already have 3 keggles with a burner stand. I hate the smell gas produces, my garage smells like a tortilla factory when I'm brewing and sometimes the flame goes out and it makes a horrible noise, the flame jumps to the gas input side and I have to run to shut it off, feels like it's going to explode. Basically, it can not be left unattended.

I have read countless threads here and I still cannot make a decision. You have the electric brewery, you have brewtroller, BCS, Power of tower if you want gas, etc. If you have a small setup, it's a good idea to go the BIAB route. I saw this system yesterday, check it out http://electricbiab.com/

I think eventually I'll go Kal's route, but 2K is a good ammount of money (I am a telecomm engineer but with twins coming in 3 months I really don't have time to cut, wire and test a control panel, so I would buy the preassembled kit). Also, my garage doesn't have a 240V circuit, so I'll need to get that done as well.

The power of tower is looking damn tempting, but I want to take gas out of the equation. Anyway, while I was typing this, I did one more search and found this, looks exactly what you're looking for! (Didn't ready everything thoroughly but I didn't see a temperature sensor in there, and also not sure where the duty cycle will be set)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-brewing-system/

Latest posts

Back