Elbows on tubing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisbeluke

Reaction score
I'm just upgrading my setup getting ready for all grain and I'be been wondering why do people use elbows on the in and out of their tubing?

I'm about to fit camlocks (b) on two tubes but as the main thing they help with is stopping the tubing from folding on the output etc (especially with camlocks as they don't need grip as quick connects) I have been wondering do people really need them on both end? As normally the tube output is lower and not under the same stress as the input.

What do people think? Is there really a good reason for both or does it just make it easier to use the tubes both ways?

All of my vessels, pumps and chiller have male camlock fittings on them, so the tubing has the females.

On the vessel ball valve connections I use a B-type camlock followed by a street elbow, with 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD silicone tubing stretched over the (slightly dulled) threads of the elbow. This is because, as you fathomed, the hanging weight of a hot tube on a straight connection will tend to fold the tubing (I use non-reinforced silicone, perhaps that isn't a problem reinforced silicone tubing).

My pumps and chiller, however, have their inlets pointing down and are mounted high enough to allow the use of just the B-type camlocks at that end of the hoses, with the tubing stretched over their threads. The tubing hangs straight down from the vertical input connections, or rises nearly straight up to one of the vessel valves.

The chiller output is the exception as I use a B-type there to a horizontal male fitting, but the wort is at pitching temperature and the tubing won't try to fold up...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back