El Dorado SMaSH DIPA (Need Assistance)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floodbrew

Reaction score
Hey folks, as I progress in my brewing experience (now in year two) I am interested in brewing a simple SMaSH DIPA, or as simple as that can get.

I'm going 5.5 gallon extract brew and have selected El Dorado as my single hop. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

12 lb. Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. Crystal 40L Steeping Grains

Original Gravity: 1.083
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV: 8.16%
SRM: 8.54

Incomplete, I know. Then there's the hops and my question. I am tentatively planning 6oz. of them. Their Alpha Acid is 15.7%. Can anybody recommend amounts and times for hop additions during the brew and dry hop? I can get more if needed, but looking for a starting point.

I'll be using Wyeast 1056 with a starter to ferment this brew @ 64-66 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if there are any questions or things I missed.

You cannot brew a SMaSH beer with extract. Golden and Pilsener extract use carapils or equivalent. All other extracts are also a blend of malts. Also, wtf with the C-40 if you're trying to get close to a SMaSH. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Not sure about the hostile response, buddy. You're right, I'm not getting the single malt side done through extract... though there is plenty written here and elsewhere about extract brewers getting as close as they can with their limitations. So for your sake, wtf, howabout some help with single hop variety IIPA?

floodbrew said:
Not sure about the hostile response, buddy. You're right, I'm not getting the single malt side done through extract... though there is plenty written here and elsewhere about extract brewers getting as close as they can with their limitations. So for your sake, wtf, howabout some help with single hop variety IIPA?

Calculate it out, but because El Dorado has a high AA, do a half ounce at 60, Half ounce at 15, an ounce at 10, an ounce at 5, ounce at flameout, two ounces at dry hop. If you want only one ounce at dry hop, split it between 10 and 5 minutes.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll drop it in the calculator tonight.

Can I assume I need to shoot past 85-90 IBUs to fight through the malt presence? I chose this hop after enjoying Ballast Point Dorado and that beer is somewhere around 9% with 90 IBUs.

floodbrew said:
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll drop it in the calculator tonight.

Can I assume I need to shoot past 85-90 IBUs to fight through the malt presence? I chose this hop after enjoying Ballast Point Dorado and that beer is somewhere around 9% with 90 IBUs.

Also, I'd drop at least one, probably two, pounds of DME and replace it with sugar. 1.021 is more like a barleywine or a sweet stout, not a DIPA. Russian River does this with their hoppy beers. You want the beer finishing between 1.011 and 1.013, and that's going to be difficult with extract due to all the underwent able dextrins. I'd use two.

Id suggest ten pounds of DME, 2 # of corn sugar, and a half pound of C40, half pound of Carapils. That's a basis for RR and other great IPA brewers, but in extract form. Really, use some sugar if you want a medium mouthfeel hop bomb. 1.021 is too high and knowing brewing software it'd probably finish closer to 1.024

Ive contemplated trying El Dorado, but I'm first making a DIPA with Apollo, another super alpha new variety. Resin, dank, and oranges!

I am interested in brewing a simple SMaSH DIPA, or as simple as that can get.

Why limit yourself with the SMaSH definition? I suggest not trying to define this as a SMaSH beer and to simply brew a tasty single hop IIPA. If that is the goal, then you're on track. Add half or more of your extract at flameout. Pitch enough cells into highly oxygenated wort, and that FG will most likely drop by several points... especially if you substitute 1 pound of sugar for extract.

Then there's the hops and my question. I am tentatively planning 6oz. of them. Their Alpha Acid is 15.7%. Can anybody recommend amounts and times for hop additions during the brew and dry hop? I can get more if needed, but looking for a starting point.

You'll need at least double the amount of hops you currently have given the other parameters of the beer. As of late, I have really enjoyed the results from attaining the majority of my IBUs very early in the boil, and then focusing on huge warm aroma steep and dryhop additions for the ultimate hop character that doesn't boil off.

I tried a single hop El Dorado beer once. The hops tasted like watermelon jolly ranchers... very unique. Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks guys, this is excellent advice. I agree about pulling back from the SMASH definition. Really my intent was just to focus on a single hop variety and these recommendations are going to help me accomplish that.

Any thoughts on 1056 being used? I've had recent luck with this yeast at my winter basement temperature range and think with a starter it will work well.

Just brewed this imperial over the weekend, generally the same recipe as above and a 2 liter starter. OG came in at 1.090. The sucker took off in a short time with a very vigorous first couple of days. Now on day three I notice that the airlock has no visible activity. Carefully pryed open the lid of my fermenter to take a hydro reading and found a wicked huge krausen and a 1.030 result so far. Still a significant amount of yeast suspended in the wort/beer, as well.

Its stayin here for another ten days, then to the secondary for dry hopping, before bottling. Not worried about reaching my intended FG. Mainly surprised how rapidly it got to this point.

Great! Don't even bother taking hydro readings while there is still a krausen. You're better off waiting 2 weeks before even checking the gravity for this beer. At 1.090, I would give it 4 weeks in the primary.

Back