El Cedro Jester King Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoy this beer. I love what the Spanish cedar does in this beer. Also it goes pretty good in a rauchbier to.

In rauchbier? I am sold on that. I have yet to pop any bottles of the El Cedro, I think I bottled last week, but tasted great at bottling.

How many batches can you get out of the cedar spirals? I just went with some thin spanish cedar from that I picked up from my local cigar shop. Seems like most of the flavor has been striped in one batch.

Its pretty strong after a couple weeks of aging. I am going to try and use the cedar spiral I just used. I think you can get two uses.

FYI: Defalco's in Houston now carries Spanish Cedar spirals, saw them today and debated grabbing some (didn't wasn't sure when to use them). They are $17.99/pair

They are from the barrel mill as well. I was in there the day the received them! I don't know why I didn't post that on here. They will also have a biere de garde coming up on tap that they aged with the cedar spirals. I think its carbonating as we speak if I remember right.

I forgot we are both from Pearland.

Actually that Biere de Garde is on tap now! That's how I found out about it, I tried the regular and then saw the tap that said "cedar" and asked about it. Definitely a unique taste, works well with the Biere de Garde.

Also funny because I had Adelbert's Scratchin Hippo last night (bdg style bottled with brett), and I needed something with a normal BdG flavor because that was just a brett bomb (liked it, but didn't taste like a BdG).

EDIT: btw, if you need any 3711 I harvested my yeast cake from the saison I made and have WAY too much. I need to split the 3 jars I harvested because just pitching those without a starter would likely be over pitching.

I need to get by there and try it. I am looking forward to trying cedar in a few more styles. The guys at Defalcos had a big hand in helping me get this recipe right. When I found the source for the cedar they wanted to try out some styles with it to. Currently I have a Rauchbier lagering with some cedar now.

Not to keep flooding this thread, but I found el cedro and many other jester king beers at a little store in lake Jackson

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Food King

They had El Cedro, Wytchmaker, Das Wunderkind, Petit Prince, Noble King, and Mad Meg (I think that was all). I haven't seen some of those in about 3 months. I bought 2 El Cedro, 2 Das Wunderkind and a Wytchmaker, the most recent batch being from July 2013, so they are well aged already (Das Wunderkind is April 2013 in fact).
Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I may head there today! Seeing as there shipping less out of Austin it would be helpful to have a thread about sightings. At least for me. Maybe in the texas sub-forum?

May not be a bad idea. Luckily I drive by there every day so I plan on stopping by there regularly, might end up drying up their stock (my haul cost me almost $90 yesterday, so I am going to give it a rest for this week). I get the feeling that once they are sold out there won't be anything new coming in a while (even Austin is drying up), so get it while you can!

I plan on buying another 2-3 El Cedros and Wytchmakers. The Wytchmaker I drank last night had a much stronger brett flavor than I remember, likely because it was from June and therefore aged longer than the regular bottles I used to find (I can't find a place that tells you how many batches have been made and when released).

Back